The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

This is a bit embarrassing and also making me feel disappointed in myself and "guilty" (for want of a better word).

I am interested in Jazz and have been listening to/reading about Jazz for the past several months. I want very much to enjoy, understand and appreciate Jazz.

However, the frustration that I am finding is that so much of the Jazz that I have been listening to seems very "frenetic" and becomes, at times, "irritating" to me.

Maybe it is just my age showing, as I like the slower pieces with lots of "space".

Did others here experience anything similar at the time of there early/initial listening to Jazz?

Originally, I was very interested and enthusiastic listening to the Blues but I tired of this as it seemed to be so similar (obviously, based mainly on I-IV-V)
    and "predictable". Even the lyrics became tiring, for the most part. I can still enjoy a slow, instrumental Blues piece...I somehow doubt that will ever change.

Maybe I have been a bit too saturated by Jazz recently and I need to back away from it for a short time.

I hope that I have not offended anyone by what i have written. It was not intended to be offensive.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks

Dave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jazz is a huge music...while it represents a small amount of total music being made, i'd argue the range of sound covered by it is as wide or wider than other genres...I think there's absolutely no shame in liking a certain kind of it.

If you like space, just prowl ECM records' catalog.

User Info Menu

so much of the Jazz that I have been listening to seems very "frenetic" and becomes, at times, "irritating" to me.
    Don't listen to that jazz.
    I like the slower pieces with lots of "space"
    Listen to this jazz.

If a person says they like rock music, that doesn't necessarily mean they like Buddy Holly, Tool, Journey, The Black Keys, Guns & Roses, and Steely Dan. They're all rock, but there are a lot of subgenres within the genre. Listen to what you like to listen to. Don't listen to the stuff you don't like to listen to.

User Info Menu

I don't like canolli, but I do love strudel!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    This is a bit embarrassing and also making me feel disappointed in myself and "guilty" (for want of a better word).

I am interested in Jazz and have been listening to/reading about Jazz for the past several months. I want very much to enjoy, understand and appreciate Jazz.

However, the frustration that I am finding is that so much of the Jazz that I have been listening to seems very "frenetic" and becomes, at times, "irritating" to me.

Maybe it is just my age showing, as I like the slower pieces with lots of "space".

Did others here experience anything similar at the time of there early/initial listening to Jazz?

Originally, I was very interested and enthusiastic listening to the Blues but I tired of this as it seemed to be so similar (obviously, based mainly on I-IV-V)
    and "predictable". Even the lyrics became tiring, for the most part. I can still enjoy a slow, instrumental Blues piece...I somehow doubt that will ever change.

Maybe I have been a bit too saturated by Jazz recently and I need to back away from it for a short time.

I hope that I have not offended anyone by what i have written. It was not intended to be offensive.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks

Dave
    Hey Dave,

Don't sweat it. I've felt like that a lot too. Jazz can be very frenetic. Sometimes when I'm listening I think "Damn I believe I the guy could cut and paste this solo into any song he does and I'd never know the difference!!"

But the more I listen the more I pick up. I think it takes a good while for a person to let go of "right and wrong" and just kick back and enjoy.

It seems as soon as I did that, I really began to appreciate jazz.

User Info Menu

I only get irritated if I dont focus on listening. For me to get the most out off the busier jazz I need to empty my mind of everything but the music

User Info Menu

In 1991 I visited the North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague for the first time. I was 18 then. I remember visiting a concert of a guitarplayer that I never heared of... Pat Martino (I remember the Zematis-guitar he was playing). Boy, did I dislike that! Lots of notes that didn't make sense and sounded out of key to my ear. Chord progressions I couldn't grasp... I left the concert before it ended. I guess I wasn't ready as I listend mainly to Eric Clapton at that time ;-)Needless to say that 20 years later Pat is one of my jazz guitar heroes and whenever he plays in Holland I'm there......Just listen to what you like and the rest will come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Listen to what you like to listen to. Don't listen to the stuff you don't like to listen to.
    That is what i have been doing recently.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyLime
    Hey Dave,

Don't sweat it. I've felt like that a lot too. Jazz can be very frenetic. Sometimes when I'm listening I think "Damn I believe I the guy could cut and paste this solo into any song he does and I'd never know the difference!!"

But the more I listen the more I pick up. I think it takes a good while for a person to let go of "right and wrong" and just kick back and enjoy.

It seems as soon as I did that, I really began to appreciate jazz.
    It is of some comfort to know that others have "struggled" with this also. I guess I will just need more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    .....Just listen to what you like and the rest will come.
    The underlying theme so far.

Many thanks to everyone...this thread has been very helpful.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elviacannon
    i too feel like i should learn to appreciate jazz.......

but someone like miles davis....i don't know how to appreciate it, i want to hear what makes him so important, but i dont' know what i'm listening to/for. can you not start with that? do you have to hear and know the stuff before him to get what he did?.........
    I just finished reading a book about the last 10 years of Miles Davis's life. I also bought 6 CD's form this time period (there is a box set of 5 of the CD's at an excellent price) while reading the book.

Compared to his "Kind of Blue", some of this later material is very difficult for me to appreciate. I enjoy the composition "Street People", "Time After Time" (which is a cover...but I like it...is it really jazz though?) and possible 10 or so of the other pieces on all of the CD's combined.

Maybe I made the the mistake of trying to appreciate "too much Miles" in a short time.
    I just had the thought that "Too Many Miles" could have been a title on a compilation for Miles (just kidding...of course).

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 10-03-2011 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

There are techniques available that will help you clear your mind of it's preconceived, ingrained musical expectations. Meditation is prolly the most common, but other more esoteric options are available.
    Last edited by Buster Loaf; 10-03-2011 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    I just finished reading a book about the last 10 years of Miles Davis's life. I also bought 6 CD's form this time period (there is a box set of 5 of the CD's at an excellent price) while reading the book.

Compared to his "Kind of Blue", some of this later material is very difficult for me to appreciate. I enjoy the composition "Street People", "Time After Time" (which is a cover...but I like it...is it really jazz though?) and possible 10 or so of the other pieces on all of the CD's combined.

Maybe I made the the mistake of trying to appreciate "too much Miles" in a short time.
    I just had the thought that "Too Many Miles" could have been a title on a compilation for Miles (just kidding...of course).

Cheers

Dave

I don't care for much of Miles after 69 or 70. When we he went electric I became much less interested in him. It sounds to me that you dig Cool Jazz. I know it is one of my favorite genre's. Anything from 55- 69 holds my interest the most.

Check out Bill Evans during that same time period. It is my obsession at the moment.

I don't mind busy jazz if it is melodic. Overall in the last 35 years Metheny is one of my fav. He borderlines smooth, but over all he delivers. There is a fine line between smooth jazz and elevator music. Most artist's in that genre cross the line to much, IMO.

Then you have some greats like Wayne Shorter or Chic who keep it going fresh in the other direction, but are a pleasure to listen to. Kenny Garret is another fav.

Like it was said before, Jazz encompasses a huge set of genre's. I don't like it all, but I sure do like a lot of it. Keep listening and see what trips your trigger.

Last edited by brwnhornet59; 10-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

My take on the whole thing is that there's a lot of jazz that I really don't like. I do't listen to it because it irritates the hell out of me like it does you. There's nothing wrong with that. Every player is different. Each one plays what they love unless they're getting paid to play something else. That's a matter of survival. In my case, when I listen to jazz radio, if I don't like the tune, I go somewhere else. I do a lot of radio surfing.

User Info Menu

I think we are lucky to live in the internet age in this respect. I sympathize with anyone's sense that 'jazz' as a genre can be overwhelming and so all-encompassing of various sounds and moods and styles.

My recommendation would be to take advantage of Youtube and Amazon.com.

Go to Youtube and just sample all the files of clips of jazz performers doin' their thing, and find out who resonates with you the most. when you get a name, go to amazon.com and read up on the various CDs and use the sample clips feature they have to taste the various tracks on the CDs.

Warning though: this is a fun thing to do, so the hours may slip by pretty easily!

User Info Menu

I understand your pain! I came to this board out of my love for jazz, and thought I would learn jazz..........all at once. Can't, won't happen my friend. Jazz is big, and there are many styles, and no shame in liking what you like. I sort of see this learning jazz adventure now as a lifetime thing..........and I am bound to try to enjoy the journey, Learning one song at a time. I have already been through many phases of music in my life, and I don't think you need to give up listening to other styles just because now you are a "Jazzer" There is allot to learn from all styles of playing, take it and try to make it your own.

Cheers

User Info Menu

This is a pretty cool thread. Guys being honest about the fact that they don't like some things in Jazz...and no one coming in to cry "Blasphemy!!"

User Info Menu

We all live in the same World.....That is good enough for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KeyLime
    This is a pretty cool thread. Guys being honest about the fact that they don't like some things in Jazz...and no one coming in to cry "Blasphemy!!"
    I am pleased (and relieved) that this thread has been so accepted, given all the possible "reactions" that might have arisen.

I am learning from all of you and your suggestions are much appreciated.
    I'm not sweating it anymore, I'm listening to jazz with a "clear head", I'm watching YouTube videos and..... I'm no longer concerned if any given composition doesn't appeal to me (maybe it will in future, if not, fine).

Again, many thanks to all for your responses.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're making progress Greco. Nicely done!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brwnhornet59
    IThen you have some greats like Wayne Shorter or Chic who keep it going fresh in the other direction, but are a pleasure to listen to. Kenny Garret is another fav.
    Kenny G. is my fav too. But when I follow by listening to Wayne Shorter, my jazz appreciation level rises to an unbelievable level.

(Okay, it's a joke.)

User Info Menu

I understand you. And I don't know about the age(I suppose you're rather older as you're pointing that out)... I've always liked music with space since I was a teenager. So the day I found ECM was like discovering that world where you really belong.

Can you remember that feeling when you first discovered the sound of Maj chord or the sound of #4 between 4th and 5th? Personally I think that it wasn't jazz I fell in love with, it was the search for something new. It's defenately different for every person, but I think you should find out what was that thing in jazz that caught you. So you wouldn't set any boundaries for yourself in music. Just listen to music that speaks to you. I listen to hiphop as well as Bach as well as Bill Evans. I believe there's something in common. At least for me.

User Info Menu

Go to AccuJazz radio website on the internet. It allows you to choose sub-genres, instrument preferences, eras, etc. I discovered a lot of new music this way. I believe there is a Cool era channel on there, as well as an ECM channel. Its a great resource.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzislander
    I understand you. .......

Can you remember that feeling when you first discovered the sound of Maj chord or the sound of #4 between 4th and 5th? Personally I think that it wasn't jazz I fell in love with, it was the search for something new. It's defenately different for every person, but I think you should find out what was that thing in jazz that caught you. So you wouldn't set any boundaries for yourself in music. Just listen to music that speaks to you. I listen to hiphop as well as Bach as well as Bill Evans. I believe there's something in common. At least for me.
    I read this over and over again...you certainly do understand me !!
    (BTW ...I am 61).
    The search for something new (to listen to and to play on guitar) IS very exciting. For me, jazz has so much "colour" in the variety of sounds/tones and in the progressions. To me, it also has a "gentle" side (I like to play "clean" on the guitar...maybe a tiny bit of distortion) and seems more "musical" and complicated from the perspective of all of the above. Am I making sense?
    This is like trying to explain why one likes the taste of chocolate...and, more specifically, dark chocolate....LOL

Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments. I am following this thread daily and it has been VERY helpful.

I am "listening to the music that speaks to me" and trying not to set up too many boundaries.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

I think you have to find your "gateway drug". Just like when you're a kid and you first taste coffee and it's the worst thing you've ever tasted, but later it becomes something you crave after continued exposure. Same thing with wine. For me, coming from blues to jazz was a very gradual process, The slippery slope was Western Swing, with it's simple chord progressions and catchy melodies, but very jazzy solos. That led to Gypsy Jazz which is easier to absorb because it is so based in arpeggios without all the outside notes and dissonance. From there Big Band Swing and Standards caught my attention and finally Bop and Mainstream Jazz. I haven't evolved to free jazz or smooth jazz and probably never will, but if I find that one gateway I might. If you're a huge blues fan, and a guitar fan (you're on this page so I assume you are), pick up a copy of Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue album. There is no better gateway between Blues and Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland
    I haven't evolved to...smooth jazz and probably never will, but if I find that one gateway I might.
    I think you mean "devolved." OP: I fell in love with jazz when I played KIND OF BLUE over and over, night after night, many moons ago. This is one of the essential jazz recordings. Not optional (to paraphrase Reg) . This is mandatory listening. If you don't grow to love that album, then jazz may not be your thing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    I think you mean "devolved." OP: I fell in love with jazz when I played KIND OF BLUE over and over, night after night, many moons ago. This is one of the essential jazz recordings. Not optional (to paraphrase Reg) . This is mandatory listening. If you don't grow to love that album, then jazz may not be your thing...
    I never had to learn to love it. It had me at So What. Then Blue In Green blew me away!