The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I really like that movie watched if a few times.

A darker film with actual musicians is The Connection with Jackie McLean

Yeah, it's dark alright. Jackie was in the play, too.

Good music, though. I met Freddie Redd back in NY. A real character...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I found this one looking for The Connection:

And this one is very heavy. Dig what Jackie has to say connecting the JFK assassination to the decline of culture:

User Info Menu

This movie is from 1950 and features Kirk Douglas, Doris Day and Lauren Bacall. Since I'm an old movie buff I really love this film, but as a jazz cat I also find it very interesting. It has the old mentor that while a pro, can't make much money, the young upstart that care more about soloing and his sound than doing what the band leader wants, and of course a love triangle (but sine Bacall plays a lesbian there is added interest there!). There is also the upstart doing all to get his sound but getting really depressed when, due to booze and Bacall leaving him loses his sound. It is ALL about the sound (which I'm sure most of us can related to).

There is some really nice music in this film and even Day gets to show a jazzy side. Check it out and don't just reject it because it is in black and white.

User Info Menu

Great thread

Many Jazz movies and documentaries are visible on YouTube, query "jazz movie documentary youtube"

jazz movie documentary youtube - Recherche Google

this one too Great Jazz Documentaries - YouTube
    That will give you an excuse for not practicing during a while

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phlatt Wound
    "The Fabulous Baker Boys", with Jeff & Beau Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer as a niteclubbing lounge act, has a soundtrack of jazz piano by Dave Gruisin including some excursions by Jeff's character when he breaks away into the "jazz" life. Some decent renditions of standards sung by Ms Pfeiffer. Watching her writhe around on top of the piano in a red dress while singing "Makin' Whoopie" is worth the price of admission.
    It also has one of the classic movie one-liners, by Jeff Bridges character to Michelle Pfeiffer's:

'We f&*ed twice. Once the sweat dries, you don't know s#$t about me'...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    It is ALL about the sound (which I'm sure most of us can related to).
    (3rd bit):

Rachel444 Guest
    Yes, these are the good movies. I can add Jazz on a Summer's Day, A Great Day in Harlem and Bird to the list. Sometimes I watch them. They really differ from the modern films. Though I've recently found The Green Book on streaming sites and I really liked it. Did you watch it? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Rachel444; 07-28-2020 at 05:24 AM.

User Info Menu

1940s MTV

Busby Berkeley the real star here, but it also has the Sing Sing Sing clip that you see all the time, and an amazing Let That Be a Lesson to You.

User Info Menu

It would have to be Bird, which did a true documentary of the music. The only movie I’ve seen more often on dvd is Round Midnight with the great Dexter Gordon. Chan’s song was a standout tune conducted by Herbie Hancock at the end of the movie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    1940s MTV

]
    Ella Mae Morse does a terrific job on this--here's the whole tune:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    I found this one looking for The Connection:

And this one is very heavy. Dig what Jackie has to say connecting the JFK assassination to the decline of culture:

Oh man, I'm seriously digging this stuff! thanks for posting. In the second video at the 6:30 mark when asked about practice, ain't that the truth for those of us with busy lives!

User Info Menu

The trailer for All Night Long, which is Othello retold.

The trailer for Joseph Losey’s The Servant, with theme music by John Dankworth.