The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Want something really deep? Put on yer boots....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not a movie, but everyone should see this at least once:

Johnny Staccato

HILARIOUS, without meaning to be.

I'm still trying to figure out what movie this was from:

The waiter singing over Red's lines is killing it for me. Note the name of the club at the beginning; it was later taken over by new management who made it a punk club and changed the name to "Straight 'N Horny." Of course, Red "Yost" Norvo is playing over at the "Madhouse," which is where the screenwriter who deemed it necessary to give Red the middle name "Yost" ended up.
    Last edited by paynow; 06-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.

User Info Menu

-Pat Martino's Unstrung

similar to the above mentioned Tal Farlow feature movie.

User Info Menu

A Man Called Adam with Sammy Davis jr. I saw this movie with Charles Mingus, so it has a special place in my heart.

User Info Menu

Sweet Love Bitter, 1967,with Dick Gregory as Richie "Eagle" Stokes, a character loosely based on Bird, with a soundtrack by Mal Waldron and based on the book Night Song by John Williams.

User Info Menu

I've never seen the film but I've got Miles Davis' soundtrack to "A Tribute to Jack Johnson". Nice music featuring John McLaughlin.

"The Fabulous Baker Boys", with Jeff & Beau Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer as a niteclubbing lounge act, has a soundtrack of jazz piano by Dave Gruisin including some excursions by Jeff's character when he breaks away into the "jazz" life. Some decent renditions of standards sung by Ms Pfeiffer. Watching her writhe around on top of the piano in a red dress while singing "Makin' Whoopie" is worth the price of admission.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phlatt Wound
    I've never seen the film but I've got Miles Davis' soundtrack to "A Tribute to Jack Johnson". Nice music featuring John McLaughlin.

"The Fabulous Baker Boys", with Jeff & Beau Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer as a niteclubbing lounge act, has a soundtrack of jazz piano by Dave Gruisin including some excursions by Jeff's character when he breaks away into the "jazz" life. Some decent renditions of standards sung by Ms Pfeiffer. Watching her writhe around on top of the piano in a red dress while singing "Makin' Whoopie" is worth the price of admission.
    The Fabulous Baker Boys . . . great pick up!! Great jazz movie. How the hell did we over look this one???

User Info Menu

There's also The Five Pennies, a (highly fictionalized) biopic about cornetist Red Nichols.

For soundtracks, you can add No Sun in Venice and Odds Against Tomorrow, scored by John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet.

User Info Menu

I see it was already ;sited but I'll say it again. All Night Long has appearances by Charles Mingus and Dave Brubeck, among others where the back drop is a jazz jam session party at the home of some rich english jazz lover. Not a good movie, but what the hell.

User Info Menu

"Paris Blues" - 1961. Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, Joanne Woodward.

User Info Menu

UP.
    Whiplash added.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk
    There's also The Five Pennies, a (highly fictionalized) biopic about cornetist Red Nichols.

For soundtracks, you can add No Sun in Venice and Odds Against Tomorrow, scored by John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet.

I remember it was one of the first movies I ever saw my parent took me to and I dug it. We got the soundtrack album and I played it all the time. I got a copy of the movie Kansas City that was mentioned in this thread, what amazing band and they are woven throughout the movie. The movie was good, but the band was great.

User Info Menu

Icons among us the series is something I continue to frequently watch although I have seen it many times..

Really great, with some awesome jazz guitar clips!

User Info Menu

How did this one ever get by me? Anyone heard of or seen Low Down?

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Not a movie, but everyone should see this at least once:

Johnny Staccato

HILARIOUS, without meaning to be.

I'm still trying to figure out what movie this was from:

The waiter singing over Red's lines is killing it for me. Note the name of the club at the beginning; it was later taken over by new management who made it a punk club and changed the name to "Straight 'N Horny." Of course, Red "Yost" Norvo is playing over at the "Madhouse," which is where the screenwriter who deemed it necessary to give Red the middle name "Yost" ended up.
    That Movie was , "Screaming Mimi" and it featured Jimmy Wyble on guitar in that scene with Red Norvo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    If like your jazz alive and visceral, you might dig HBO's series Tremé. Not so much for you *bookish* types who take it in the auditorium rather than a club.

Also, Robert Altman did a good one called, Kansas City
    Kansas City showed "cutting" sessions that were amazing, If Irecall correctly, Winton was in one of them...

As the all-night jam session was ending, the bassman finally got his chance for a solo...epic!

User Info Menu

When Giant is first betting in Mo Better Blues what is that thing his bookie Pete clicks after he best? Anybody have any idea?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I find more truth - and entertainment - in fiction.

Be Kind Rewind
    - for the Fats Waller sub-story.

+1 for Lush Life (the full movie's on YouTube - 'Lush Life 1993'):
    Last edited by destinytot; 08-30-2017 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    How did this one ever get by me? Anyone heard of or seen Low Down?

David
    I really like that movie watched if a few times.

A darker film with actual musicians is The Connection with Jackie McLean

Last edited by docbop; 08-30-2017 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Does an episode of a TV series count?

User Info Menu

Robert Altman's Kansas City is a okay movie, but there is a killer band that reappears throughout the movie with Nicholas Payton, Joshua Redman, Russell Malone, and others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Robert Altman's Kansas City is a okay movie, but there is a killer band that reappears throughout the movie with Nicholas Payton, Joshua Redman, Russell Malone, and others.

Outstanding cinematography in that film. Big fan of Altman's since seeing McCabe and Mrs. Miller on the big screen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Does an episode of a TV series count?

now that's too funny!

User Info Menu

Miles Ahead was godawful. Worse even than Mo Better Blues---and that's pretty bad. Let's Get Losts rates up there---or down there---too.

Too many of these films are merely claptrap that exploit the tired jazz outlaw/junkie theme. Miles Ahead had a ridiculous 'plot' about a fight over a tape of Miles's, coke, women and guns (fired by Miles). Gimme a break. I like Don Cheadle, but he booted this one.

The documentaries that feature the artist are way better to me. I thought Straight, No Chaser was as good as it gets. Charlotte Zwerin was a film maker independent of the Hollywood system, and she knew how to get it right.

Even Wild Man Blues was good. Woody, to Soon-yi after he finagled her omelet but found it was hard as rock:

'Geez. What'd they do, vulcanize this?'...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Outstanding cinematography in that film. Big fan of Altman's since seeing McCabe and Mrs. Miller on the big screen.
    One of the 'others' is my old bud James Zollar. Just wanna give him a plug. He's in the trumpet section, no solos..