The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I am curious as to where the best places for music in the U.S. are right now. I did a couple of google searches, but they are somewhat dated and I was hoping I could get some of your opinions.

As far as what kind of music I am personally interested in: Jazz and some post rock/indie type stuff.

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Best for getting gigs? Best for listening? Best for good paying gigs?

I don't think that there are many great places, especially with the economy the way it is.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Seattle is flourishing. Pack your umbrella. Austin is bursting, but probably not with jazz. New Orleans, LA, San Fransisco, NYC, Nashville...

User Info Menu

Austin, and Texas in general, have jazz -- but it's usually Texas Swing. Some folks have their heads up their cornholes and can't make the connection that swing is jazz, so be warned. There should be more jazz in the DFW area due to Denton/UNT, but it's not really the case, though there are some monster players. Denton does have a solid indie scene.

Thanks for the responses guys.

ks - I am more interested in being in a place where there are a ton of great musicians to be around and jam with. I am not really concerned with having the mind set of "I am going to move to X and then I am going to get paid gigs". I think it is a little too unrealistic to think like that for me right now. The area that I am in right now (upstate NY) is just flooded with guys that are more concerned with going on tour and making a living with music than actually writing something more than a minute and a half demo.

To Cosmic and Stack, I actually have been thinking about Austin as well. I don't know much about Seattle, other than hearing some people discuss the high cost of living. But yeah, the older threads I found on other forums had spoken about Austin and Seattle mostly.

If you guys have had any first hand experience at either one of these places, please do tell!

Either way, I would like to relocate somewhere at this point. I am just trying to find out as much as I can about these places before I blow a couple of hundred dollars to visit the area.

User Info Menu

From the words of Paul Bley,

"There's only two places, Manhattan and Brooklyn."

And I thought about NYC too, but living expenses are astronomical. I am not too informed on the Jazz scene there either; I wouldn't want to move into a cut-throat only Jazz scene.

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny

That's a good quote.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny

User Info Menu

Seattle is a good place, but you might be suprised to learn that Tacoma is as well. Kind of a "sleeper town", w/more than a few places to play. Situate yourself between the two, & you could probably get a good deal of work. And Olympia is right down the road, as is Portland OR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    And I thought about NYC too, but living expenses are astronomical. I am not too informed on the Jazz scene there either; I wouldn't want to move into a cut-throat only Jazz scene.
    I'm curious as to which one isn't cutthroat; I realize none are as competitive as NYC and Chicago (maybe LA and San Fran) but I'd say most are pretty competitive if you want to make a living at it. As far as astronomical, yeah, that's true. Look on Craigslist and go live on a couch in Queens for 600 a month if that's what it takes to be among the best.

The cream of the crop end up in New York or Chicago.
    Last edited by paynow; 02-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but in NYC they have guys who are 10 times better than you that are working for tips. (But you get to be surrounded by the best.)

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

You talking about visiting or relocating for career move? Then if career move then in what field, studio work (not much anymore), touring musician (less of that too), Jazz musician (some things never change).

If you want to be a serious Jazz musician then NY is it. Yes, its cut throat and expensive to live there, but that is part of what makes you or breaks you. Studio work Nashville is probably only city with a active studio scene but they are a tight clique to break into. NY and LA still have some TV work and big name artists recording. Big tours means big cities NY, LA for most part. For teaching, casuals, local recording, grab a dart and throw it at a map if you enterprising and can handle all styles any city will work.

User Info Menu

Seattle and the surrounding northwest region has one of the healthiest jazz community scenes going, if you are to believe the reports from the musicians living there. People seem to be whining about everywhere else. A complaint about NYC is that the community is so fractured for young guys now. I wonder how healthy Montreal is? I don't see how someone could move to New Orleans without it being an important musical experience.

Dark Star, I like what I am reading about how there are many different places between Seattle and Tacoma. I think I am more interested in a place that has many *living* options within a 2-3 hour distance. And by living, I mean a scene that doesn't just have dive bars with only 3 regulars.

Pay now & docbop, I am not really concerned with a palatial living arrangement; I just don't want to be busting my ass to afford a place in a location where I want to be playing actively, but no longer have the shedding hours available because I am working so much.

What is it I want to do? Well, I don't want to relocate to a new area with the mind of "I am going to do X, X, and X" in terms of a career plan, especially in the field of music. I want to make goals for myself, but I don't want to get too superficial at such an early stage. The Most important thing is to find others that I can be participate with regularly either in the Jazz or instrumental post rock idiom.

I mean, yeah, I would love to try and dive into paying musical niches, but I think once I settle on a location, move there, and start meeting other musicians, I will have a better understanding as to what's available in terms of paying jobs/gigs. I don't have any specific preferences at this point, just to play my ass off with others and have opportunities stem from those experiences.

And since I am native to NY, I am more partial to relocating to a different state at this point. However, There's a lot of good information here! So, if you all agree that it's in my best interest to stay here or go some place else, what ever it is, your opinions will weigh heavily on my decision making since I don't have much of a scope on what the best possible situation is for myself.

All I can say is, I am single and not in debt from college. For me, the sky is the limit.

Thanks for your responses

User Info Menu

Here's a vote for the SF Bay. Include Berkeley, Oakland, the Peninsula, and the North and South Bay. Lots of musicians, lots of non-musical jobs (chances are you'll need one) and lots less ego and posturing than either NY or LA. (And it's 72 degrees F today.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    Thanks for the responses guys.

ks - I am more interested in being in a place where there are a ton of great musicians to be around and jam with. I am not really concerned with having the mind set of "I am going to move to X and then I am going to get paid gigs". I think it is a little too unrealistic to think like that for me right now. The area that I am in right now (upstate NY) is just flooded with guys that are more concerned with going on tour and making a living with music than actually writing something more than a minute and a half demo.

To Cosmic and Stack, I actually have been thinking about Austin as well. I don't know much about Seattle, other than hearing some people discuss the high cost of living. But yeah, the older threads I found on other forums had spoken about Austin and Seattle mostly.

If you guys have had any first hand experience at either one of these places, please do tell!

Either way, I would like to relocate somewhere at this point. I am just trying to find out as much as I can about these places before I blow a couple of hundred dollars to visit the area.
    I understand where you're coming from; I'm not sure how far upstate you are (I grew up in the Bronx/Westchester). Westchester, Long Island, Tri-State in general (parts of CT and NJ, outer boroughs, etc.) is definitely pricey.

From what I've heard Austin is an awesome city artistically. Seattle too; I've wanted to visit both and have yet to do so.

User Info Menu

Most of my favorite players seem to be regularly gigging, if not living, in NYC (including forum member Jostein aka Soco!).

I have to admit I get green with envy when I see the amount of killer shows going on during any given week there. The locals probably get used to it but man, I'd be in jazz fan heaven!

User Info Menu

I think Boston has more guitar players per square foot than anywhere but Nashville.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Most of my favorite players seem to be regularly gigging, if not living, in NYC (including forum member Jostein aka Soco!).

I have to admit I get green with envy when I see the amount of killer shows going on during any given week there. The locals probably get used to it but man, I'd be in jazz fan heaven!
    Soco is one of my favorites too. He's from Norway but lives and plays in NYC. I don't know if he had in his mind to come to some other city originally, but I would doubt it.

Regarding the locals, it's like anyplace else. Most of them don't give a f--k. Jazz fans go to see jazz shows. But yes, there are many choices and its staggering the number of good players you can go see who you may not have ever heard of.
    Last edited by paynow; 02-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill
    I think Boston has more guitar players per square foot than anywhere but Nashville.
    Last I checked, Boston only had two guitar players: Tom Scholz & some other guy. They Replaced Barry Goudreau.

User Info Menu

rimshot!

he's here all week folks, try this fish, and remember to tip your servers...

As to the topic at hand--Chicago's tough for jazz. Lots of good players (particularly guitarists, it seems) and not a whole lot of places to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star
    Last I checked, Boston only had two guitar players: Tom Scholz & some other guy. They Replaced Barry Goudreau.
    No, Boston is like Nashville and frustrated guitarists on every corner. Which makes it a great place to find used gear. I hear there is talk of instead of a Burning Man rave they are going to have a Burning Axe gathering for all the Berklee dropouts to toss their guitars before returning home.