The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ok everyone here has a different level of relative pitch but let's start our relative pitch development at the very start with the perfect 5th.

Personally I have found that the best way to ingrain intervals is to sing them so play a note on your guitar and without playing the second note, the perfect fifth, sing it. Try and hear it in your head and sing it.

Sing both the higher 5th and lower 5th. I'm from C sing a G which is a 5th above or sing an F which is a 5th below.

Some will find this very easy, some will find it difficult.

If you find it difficult play and sing the first note, then play and sing the second note. Do this 3 times ascending, C to G then 3 times descending G to C. Then move up a semitone from C to C# and repeat. Move up as far as is comfortable then come back down.

Also, and this is very important, play a harmonic 5th and sing both notes.

So play, for example, the C and G notes together and try to sing both notes. This is the very start of hearing inside chords.

Then open up your favourite ear training app (Teoria is a good one) and test yourself. Pass rate 100% because if you know the interval you know it.

Test both melodic ascending and descending 5ths as well as harmonic 5ths.

We'll do this till the end of the week.

Have fun

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, my voice has a surprisingly small range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Wow, my voice has a surprisingly small range.
    It will increase a little if you keep singing these intervals.

Having said that I only have a two octave range at best.

KennethVok Guest

User Info Menu

Excellent thread, well done.