The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

My transcription of Rogers on Night and Day from his record Time and the Infinite. This one kicked my butt! I've been working on it for around 8 months and finally got a pretty clean take. There are a wealth of ideas for polytonal substitutions, and working on this has really opened my ears to some new possibilities.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Props. Tough, long solo!

User Info Menu

Great job! Also great job of nailing the same economy/directional picking that Adam uses (which is essential in really nailing the phrasing of this solo).

Thanks! I love the very fluid sound of his long, very chromatic/polytonal scale runs with the evenness of economy picking, a big inspiration in how I play.

User Info Menu

Breackerfan, that is a fantastic job you are just looking cool as they go. No fighting the guitar or crazy movements, fluid and smooth lines! Keep it up it gave me some inspiration today to play lines however I ihave to do it.

User Info Menu

I love the little bit of comp-for-yourself right at the end, around 3:20
    Like, "I could have done this all along, but I didn't."

Dagnab, Adam Rogers!
    Dagnab, gorgeous rendering, BreckerFan!

User Info Menu

good god this is impressive.

User Info Menu

Breckerfan, you didn't write the solo down?

I did, happy to post here if you're interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan View Post
    I did, happy to post here if you're interested.
    Yes, please do, I was thinking, he couldn't have memorized all that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Yes, please do, I was thinking, he couldn't have memorized all that!
    +1
    I love Adam Rogers' playing and I love this tune! Props to you for working it out, and many thanks for offering to post your chart.

Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109723214325434496338540436076-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109723744627667472234084635707-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-1710972410396732439599573407805-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109724629544350400358749623522-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109725173841084597857801952610-jpg

I'll offer my usual disclaimer that my handwriting isn't always the neatest and I can help interpret if anything isn't clear lol.

User Info Menu

Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109723214325434496338540436076-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109723744627667472234084635707-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-1710972410396732439599573407805-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109724629544350400358749623522-jpg
    Adam Rogers - Night and Day-17109725173841084597857801952610-jpg

I'll offer my usual disclaimer that my handwriting isn't always the neatest and I can help interpret if anything isn't clear lol.
    Daaaaaaang

I actually just started transcribing Kreisberg on Night and Day. I'll let you know if I ever get enough done to make comparisons

Hahaha it definitely took a while to get through

Is Kreisbergs solo from a record or a live recording? I don't think I've heard it.

Would definitely be interesting to see how they compare. Kreisberg plays lots of harmonically interesting stuff obviously, but seems like he gets there in a more functional way, vs Adams chromatic superimposition approach.

User Info Menu

BreckerFan gets shit done

User Info Menu

Thank you, BreckerFan. Your images download as 5 separate .jpg files and I am unsure of the correct page order, do the pages number 1-5 from top to bottom, or is the order scrambled?

Did you have much trouble figuring out how to finger his lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    BreckerFan gets shit done
    If only I'd picked investment banking rather than transcribing jazz solos lol

User Info Menu

Hahaha it definitely took a while to get through

Is Kreisbergs solo from a record or a live recording? I don't think I've heard it.

Would definitely be interesting to see how they compare. Kreisberg plays lots of harmonically interesting stuff obviously, but seems like he gets there in a more functional way, vs Adams chromatic superimposition approach.
    I hadn't heard this one until recently when a buddy turned me onto this record.

So far it's pretty functionally inside. Lots of chromatic stuff, obviously, but in the way that he might play a pattern that's inside and then start floating it over the changes before he lands somewhere.

Only about a chorus in so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Thank you, BreckerFan. Your images download as 5 separate .jpg files and I am unsure of the correct page order, do the pages number 1-5 from top to bottom, or is the order scrambled?

Did you have much trouble figuring out how to finger his lines?
    I took the pictures in order, so they should be sequential from top to bottom. Figuring out fingerings took time trial and error. Because of how chromatic the lines are they aren't intuitive. I used pretty strict economy picking which determines fingerings somewhat. My fingers probably don't match Adam's, he uses a lot more position shifting with slides.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Daaaaaaang

I actually just started transcribing Kreisberg on Night and Day. I'll let you know if I ever get enough done to make comparisons
    Ooooh! Another one of my favorite players! Would love to see that one someday too :-)
    Thanks in advance!
    =====
    UPDATE: Google says that JK played N&D on "Equilibrium" with the Morten Haxholm Quartet and ... somebody has already done the favor of transcribing!
    Night and Day Jonathan Kreisberg Transcription - Jonathan Kreisberg | Soundslice

But wait... there's more! Here's a live performance of the tune by said quartet:

User Info Menu

One of my favorite Adam Rogers solos is from this tune on a Lost Tribe album, it's completely unique and the way he develops the intensity of it is masterful:

User Info Menu

BreckerFan, I made a pdf of your transcription, it's attached.

I was just gonna rotate the images but then thought it would be nice if it was a single file and one thing led to another....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Ooooh! Another one of my favorite players! Would love to see that one someday too :-)
    Thanks in advance!
    =====
    UPDATE: Google says that JK played N&D on "Equilibrium" with the Morten Haxholm Quartet and ... somebody has already done the favor of transcribing!
    Night and Day Jonathan Kreisberg Transcription - Jonathan Kreisberg | Soundslice

But wait... there's more! Here's a live performance of the tune by said quartet:

Stop! Don’t!

(Squeezes eyes closed, covers ears with hands)

User Info Menu

So it seems like you’ve been into the Adam Rogers thing pretty deep for a while … any ways you see this stuff coming out in your playing?