The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I usually do good research before I buy anything but I saw that someone here loved Bruce Arnold's ear training course so I bought the One Note course.

It's the course where you identify notes as part of a chord or key centre as opposed to learning intervals.

Interestingly enough Arnold says not to learn intervals but I find that having some intervals fairly ingrained really helps with this.

Anyhow I was driving along today and I could recognize a few notes and a few chords on the classical radio station.

For me it's about a paradigm shift out of which deeper listening results. A good spend of $25. This course you can do for free using apps but it might not bring the paradigm shift or put a fire under your behind.

Last time that happened I bought an Amazon course out of which I build a website which I sold to build my music room. Happy days!

Anyhow does anyone have any of Bruce Arnold's courses? And if so what is your opinion of it/them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    I usually do good research before I buy anything but I saw that someone here loved Bruce Arnold's ear training course so I bought the One Note course.

It's the course where you identify notes as part of a chord or key centre as opposed to learning intervals.

Interestingly enough Arnold says not to learn intervals but I find that having some intervals fairly ingrained really helps with this.

Anyhow I was driving along today and I could recognize a few notes and a few chords on the classical radio station.

For me it's about a paradigm shift out of which deeper listening results. A good spend of $25. This course you can do for free using apps but it might not bring the paradigm shift or put a fire under your behind.

Last time that happened I bought an Amazon course out of which I build a website which I sold to build my music room. Happy days!

Anyhow does anyone have any of Bruce Arnold's courses? And if so what is your opinion of it/them?
    it’s functional ear training and it works

afaik it’s based on Charles Banacos’ approach. Banacos students would be able to pin point pitches in large multi note clusters after a few years of working on this apparently.

Tbh I’ve sought out different approaches to ear training, but maybe I’ll dip back in. I find two notes very much harder.

User Info Menu

A bass player I knew was disciple of BA. BA was against using any kind of stretch fingering, and even used to put rubber bands around his students fingers.
    I wonder what he says to students who practice 3 NPS scales?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    A bass player I knew was disciple of BA. BA was against using any kind of stretch fingering, and even used to put rubber bands around his students fingers.
    I wonder what he says to students who practice 3 NPS scales?
    Haha.. I can see where he's coming from actually. I think stretching can be overused and can harm the hand. I remember Kurt saying this a few years back - that he had trouble with it - and moved over to a more mobile left hand. Can't track it down, but if you watch him he rarely stretches.

Obviously Allan Holdsworth wouldn't have been able to do his thing without stretches...