The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It is enough to spend 30 minutes a day...
    The best ways of ear training-no-ear-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    The best ways of ear training-no-ear-jpg
    It's hard - so I'll be using my internal hearing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Do you think the app helps or do you just get better at using the app?
    The app plays a short chord sequence ending on the tonic, then a single note, and asks the user to state the relationship of the note to the tonic. It tracks the user's progress over a series of more and more challenging variants. Yes, I think it's helping.

User Info Menu

If I spent 30 minutes a day on Beato Ear Training, I’d wind up hospitalized.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Unattributed quotes I consider in the "ear" domain (2):
    Unattributed quotes I don't consider in the "ear" domain(22):
    Looks somewhat like playing songs/music domain vs. exercises and/or systematic method domain

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    If I spent 30 minutes a day on Beato Ear Training, I’d wind up hospitalized.
    I do not know this.
    is this torture?

User Info Menu

I do ear training with starting students now. The failure and boredom is painful to watch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ear training is essential for most musicians.
    How important is having a good ear to play jazz music?
    Does everyone approach this topic with respect?
    Yes.
    Very.
    Not enough. edit: never enough.

User Info Menu

Music is an hearing art. Yesterday when driving my eldest home after sport he got a running commentary on the orchestral piece that was playing on the radio.

Opening was a big accented minor chord, sets the scene, followed by a few major chords, back to minor, introduction of theme, soloist enters, key change after the A section etc. I'm actually surprised how well my ear functions especially after starting with a tin ear. Then again I was trying to work out Vai and Satriani stuff when I first started playing.

My holy Trinity;

* Sing intervals, scales, arpeggios, melodies etc
    * Transcribe... a lot
    * Teoria ear training app

Best of the three, for me, is singing....

If there is one regret I have after playing over 35 years, it's not developing my ear more. I would say it is as important as motor skills. If you relied on your sense of timing alone, you're going to get caught out. The difficulty for many is their main instrument may not be a chordal one. For guitarists, be able to hear piano harmonies is important. So, it points to learning some basics on the piano. The alternative would be to try and transcribe chords. There's probably a plethora of courses available.

User Info Menu

I thought that this exercise was good.

Sing a line, then play it on your instrument, but start with very, very simple lines.

Grace Kelly shows you how in this video at 5:14min

User Info Menu

I don't do anything in particular. I try to sing as I play lines and work on prehearing the intervals. I will improvise freely and go back to repeat something a ways back, then vary it, carry it forward, working on my memory. If I find something that's awkward to play I will keep going and then I will go back, break it down fingerwise and aurally usually singing it a couple times without playing. Along with those things I picture the names of the notes in my mind's eye. Many years ago I found I could just have music paper and no instrument and write and hear mentally by picturing the fingerboard in my head. So I do most writing without the guitar(otherwise I just start improvising and don't get anything done). Then I will tweak the tune later if necessary. I think everything I do is ear traing. Good thing too because I am a poor sight reader!