The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
    Hi!

Eddie Lang (1902-1933) is considered the first jazz guitarist. Here is my transcription of his great solo on Pretty Trix.

Cheers, Mikko

Lähetetty minun SM-A035G laitteesta Tapatalkilla

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well played. I was reading about Lang in Ivor Mairant's beautiful book 'The Great Jazz Guitarists'. Lang and one or two others were creating an idiom which hadn't existed previously. I wonder how the rest of us would have faired, if faced with that challenge It contextualises all of those early recordings that might otherwise be descibed as a bit primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Well played. I was reading about Lang in Ivor Mairant's beautiful book 'The Great Jazz Guitarists'. Lang and one or two others were creating an idiom which hadn't existed previously. I wonder how the rest of us would have faired, if faced with that challenge It contextualises all of those early recordings that might otherwise be descibed as a bit primitive.
    This happens all the time. I was just watching document of Jeff Beck and realized how he amazed people with new unheard possibilities of guitar a bit like Jimi Hendrix did.

To me interesting question is:
    Is everything invented now? When I listen today's innovative guitarists who are inventing new paths in music I hear really difficult techniques like music of Polyphia. It's like, everything is invented and all we have left is only the race of max speed or complexity in techniques. I don't know.

But these older kings of guitar still please me.

User Info Menu

Love Eddie, especially his work with Joe Venuti.

IMHO, technique will only take you so far; the music is what really matters. New music that excites you and others is where it’s at. Technique is just a means to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Love Eddie, especially his work with Joe Venuti.

IMHO, technique will only take you so far; the music is what really matters. New music that excites you and others is where it’s at. Technique is just a means to an end.
    I complete agree with you.
    There is always this point where some new guy with exceptional unheard things changes the trend line in music development. And when talking about guitar music it's really often related to new technique and approach.

Maybe Eddie had revolutional approach in his times.

User Info Menu

I really got burned out on Django/Grappelli but I never get tired of Joe and Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I really got burned out on Django/Grappelli but I never get tired of Joe and Eddie
    Ok, why is itso? Do you think Veuti/Lang has more "air" in it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula

Thanks for the video. Nice playing Mikko. I used it to train my ear as well. I transcribed the 0:06 scale. Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDunlop
    Thanks for the video. Nice playing Mikko. I used it to train my ear as well. I transcribed the 0:06 scale. Interesting
    Thank you! That's nice.Eddie Lang, Pretty Trix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula

don't get me wrong Django/Grappelli were superb but I listened to it so much for so long I can only listen in short stretches now. Gypsy jazz just doesn't float my boat anymore
    I always like Venuti much better than Grappelli, he's just cleaner/more exciting to me. Lang didn't have Djangos chops but there's something earthy I like about his playing. I'm sure many people disagree w/these opinions but.....

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    don't get me wrong Django/Grappelli were superb but I listened to it so much for so long I can only listen in short stretches now. Gypsy jazz just doesn't float my boat anymore
    I always like Venuti much better than Grappelli, he's just cleaner/more exciting to me. Lang didn't have Djangos chops but there's something earthy I like about his playing. I'm sure many people disagree w/these opinions but.....
    I agree with you! I had similar feelings years ago. I listened A LOT gypsy jazz and then it came to its "end". I needed to get inspiration else where, something different.

It actually changed my listening habits. I never get attached one style for years anymore.