The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'm looking for suggestions for a jazz blues solo to transcribe that

• is suitable for an "intermediate" player (e.g. Joe Henderson's solo on Pfrancing)
    • has good examples of enclosure
    • is not necessarily a guitar solo, but should be playable by a mortal on guitar

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lester Young (sax) rises from his chair at around 1’55” and completely changes the feel of this Blues. One of my favourite solos ever. It’s not hard or clever, just RIGHT. Copy the timing as much as the notes. Just look at what Billie thinks of it.

User Info Menu

Bean's blues.

edit: when putting it on Spotify's search, this doesn't come up. add "garland". Spotify does something sinister with searches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlyacht

I have a question here. Jazzers don't do that in the middle of a solo very often? Deliberately. Not complaining. Just an ignorant observation.

User Info Menu

You can put enclosures anywhere. It’s just a melodic device.

User Info Menu

Here's a Herb Ellis blues transcribed ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You can put enclosures anywhere. It’s just a melodic device.
    Hm. What I meant they often leave the ending of the solos open so the energy doeesn't drop when another solo starts.
    Like.. there is no "I finished, now it's your turn".. and the next solo starts from 0. We did that in school a lot but this doesn't happen on real performances too much.
    But maybe I'm generalizing too much. Carry on

User Info Menu

That is not what is generally meant by an enclosure.

An enclosure is when you surround a target note with notes either side, to form part of a phrase. Jazz players do it a lot.

https://www.jazzadvice.com/lessons/h...use-enclosure/

User Info Menu

I think Chitlins Con Carne by Kenny Burrell . It's not too fast and fits well under the fingers-mostly the good old Cm pentatonic in eighth position.throw in some F7 and G7 chord stabs and you're in

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

One of my favorite blues solos by a jazz guitarist is this by Howard Roberts from Color Him Funky called "One Long Day". Short but sweet.

But if I want blues, I prefer this approach, solo at 5:06" .

Joe Pass on Foxy Chick and Cool Cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlyacht
    I'm looking for suggestions for a jazz blues solo to transcribe that

• is suitable for an "intermediate" player (e.g. Joe Henderson's solo on Pfrancing)
    • is not necessarily a guitar solo, but should be playable by a mortal on guitar

Thanks!
    Wynton Kelly's solo on Freddie Freeloader (the version on Kind of Blue); Mile's solo right after it.
    Kenny Burrell's solo on Chitlin's Con Carne (not so much for enclosures, but as a textbook example of blues flavor and phrasing)
    The heads to Billie's Bounce and Au Privave. Enclosure city.