The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I did already start a thread on this topic but it seems to have randomly disappeared.

This thread is to share the transcriptions you come across. I'll start:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have been mining this one on and off for some time now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    I have been mining this one on and off for some time now
    I know this one.

Chris Potter is fantastic!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I learned a ton from these, both about playing over the tunes, and about Scofield

User Info Menu

...are we evaluating here the quality of the transcriptions, or the music itself?
    in case of the "music" it would be easier just pick the recording on youtube... in case the "quality"... well I do not have that ear... just by reading the score while listening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    ...are we evaluating here the quality of the transcriptions, or the music itself?
    in case of the "music" it would be easier just pick the recording on youtube... in case the "quality"... well I do not have that ear... just by reading the score while listening.
    Neither - I just thought it would be nice to have a thread specifically devoted to transcriptions you find on youtube or elsewhere that interest you and therefore maybe others.

User Info Menu

I'm always surprised how simple the truly great players were. I don't think you could do better over these 8 bars.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    This is terrifying

User Info Menu

Adam Rogers - patron saint of making stepwise scale and tertial arpeggios sound like the hippest thing you ever heard…

I’ve had so many experiences like that transcribing. ‘Hold up! What is that!??’ Later ‘oh it’s a major scale.’

Last one Wayne on ESP… what is that super hip altered scale he plays on E7?

Oh it’s B major.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Adam Rogers - patron saint of making stepwise scale and tertial arpeggios sound like the hippest thing you ever heard…

I’ve had so many experiences like that transcribing. ‘Hold up! What is that!??’ Later ‘oh it’s a major scale.’

Last one Wayne on ESP… what is that super hip altered scale he plays on E7?

Oh it’s B major.
    Yeah for real, he's a master at weaving together simple ideas in complex ways. His most out sounding polytonal subs are just like major scale modes starting from dissonant intervals. I did some of these lines and if I remember correctly at one point he's playing F# major over D min. Lots of tension, but still hits the min 3rd and maj 7th of D, so kinda in? Lol

Just goes to show, people go crazy trying to learn all these exotic scales, but you can sound as modern as they come if you know your major and melodic minor scales really well.

Edit: F# Dorian not major. So you get the 5th and maj 7th. Both are cool subs actually.
    Last edited by BreckerFan; 08-28-2023 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan View Post
    Yeah for real, he's a master at weaving together simple ideas in complex ways. His most out sounding polytonal subs are just like major scale modes starting from dissonant intervals. I did some of these lines and if I remember correctly at one point he's playing F# major over D min. Lots of tension, but still hits the min 3rd and maj 7th of D, so kinda in? Lol

Just goes to show, people go crazy trying to learn all these exotic scales, but you can sound as modern as they come if you know your major and melodic minor scales really well.

Edit: F# Dorian not major. So you get the 5th and maj 7th. Both are cool subs actually.
    With the b3rd and maj7, that's Dm as a tonic minor?

Interesting. Because he's got a D# in the line against a Dm and he's got the b5, which could make it sound like a iim7b5.

Then, if you're willing to adjust one note on the fly by ear , just knowing major scales (and allowing that one alteration by ear) gets you all kinds of things, including all the minors, if you were to choose to think that way -- and you knew how to use them. And, as this thread points out, you'd also get outside sounds by the masters.

There's some organization to be done to make this a viable approach, but it seems to me that it would be possible to make a list of sounds to work on -- and there are plenty of options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    With the b3rd and maj7, that's Dm as a tonic minor?

Interesting. Because he's got a D# in the line against a Dm and he's got the b5, which could make it sound like a iim7b5.

Then, if you're willing to adjust one note on the fly by ear , just knowing major scales (and allowing that one alteration by ear) gets you all kinds of things, including all the minors, if you were to choose to think that way -- and you knew how to use them. And, as this thread points out, you'd also get outside sounds by the masters.

There's some organization to be done to make this a viable approach, but it seems to me that it would be possible to make a list of sounds to work on -- and there are plenty of options.
    Yeah that's kind of how he talks about it when he discusses outside playing. Either altering the scale (ie playing D superlocrian instead of D Dorian) or superimposing another scale (F# maj over D being a pretty extreme sub, and one that interestingly works over minor or major).

I've tried to catalog a number and it's pretty fun. Endless cool sounds, and it doesn't require any new scales to be learned, although you do have to practice doing the math on the fly to be able to improvise with it.

User Info Menu

I feel like I’ve also seen him talk about using triads for polytonality? Like if you’re targeting a D, using some triad with D as the root, third, or fifth as a way of embellishing it and also getting those wild sounds he’s into.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    I feel like I’ve also seen him talk about using triads for polytonality? Like if you’re targeting a D, using some triad with D as the root, third, or fifth as a way of embellishing it and also getting those wild sounds he’s into.
    Similar to Garzone's method?

User Info Menu

Yeah he'll do that kind of triad embellishment from different intervals, I remember him showing specifically the b5 in an instructional video. You can hear him doing it in that impressions video too.

Really there are no rules, you can play anything over anything as long as you know how to resolve it haha. But having an approach helps narrow options down and also helps study how to systematically increase tension or outness. It's helped me a lot anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Similar to Garzone's method?
    OH. Don’t know actually, but I had a saxophone buddy who spent some time studying with him at Berklee and he was always talking about that kind of stuff.

I wasn’t listening that closely, apparently

User Info Menu

Adam explains his process very cogently in his my music master class vids. He talks for example about playing on the guide tones, but ignoring the rest of the chord. So for example, playing Db lydian on dm7 (because the 3rd and 7th are the same, kind of like an extension of tritone subs in a way.) and his triad superpositions. I don’t remember him mentioning Garzone, but there’s some similar ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Adam explains his process very cogently in his my music master class vids. He talks for example about playing on the guide tones, but ignoring the rest of the chord. So for example, playing Db lydian on dm7 (because the 3rd and 7th are the same, kind of like an extension of tritone subs in a way.) and his triad superpositions. I don’t remember him mentioning Garzone, but there’s some similar ideas.
    Ah that’s where I saw it! The polytonal triad stuff in it really stuck with me.

User Info Menu

This seem to have turned into an Adam Rogers thread....

Re: Johnny Smith, has anyone seen a transcription of his rendition of Shenandoah? I transcribed it at one time, but don't know where it went.

User Info Menu

Ask and your shall receive. Check out Francois Leduc's YouTube and Patreon site. He's a transcription machine and publishes around 2 per month. IN addition to several Smith transcriptions, there are transcriptions for Bickert, Peter Leitch, Kenny Burrell, Wes, Joe Pass and, well, you get the idea.

Regards,

John Galich

User Info Menu

Many thanks, John, I recall it took me quite a while to get all those lovely counterpoint lines.

User Info Menu

I did these about 30 years ago (the dropbox link). The accuracy is not all that great in places. I was using a cassette boombox without the ability to slow anything down. A few years ago, interestingly enough, a dissertation appeared with transcriptions of solos from the same albums. Probably a coincidence. Seemed like a nice enough fellow. Probably more accurate, too.

Dropbox - fristranscr.pdf - Simplify your life

A study of Bill Frisell through Paul Motian's On Broadway recordings
    |
    IDEALS