The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

It reminds me of a friend excellent manouche guitar player who was learning all the django things using sometimes one finger to slow down the speed of the tape, thirty years ago !

guilty

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The story goes that Buster B Jones played as fast as he did because he taught himself to play guitar along with a badly tuned turntable that ran too fast.

User Info Menu

FWIW once I heard the advice to not slow down the recording being transcribed, from the sax player - can't remember his name - in the Snarky Puppies, who won a grammy if memory services right. His argument was if you transcribed slow you're going to hear slow down the line. He demonstrated with a fast Joe Henderson solo, where he would stop after five notes or thereabouts, figure out those notes, practice them and move on.

User Info Menu

Generally if you can hear and sing the phrase speed doesn't matter that much, but sometimes the notes can be too fast to clearly hear them, so I'll also use the slow down thing.

A more difficult thing for me is how long a phrase can I remember. One, two, four bars of lines? I use the repeat far more than the slow down.

Generally whatever works and helps me go through a solo, I'm ok with that!

What gives me more trouble when transcribing a whole solo is strangely enough the simple parts! Licks and lines are easier to go through after a while, especially if you are familiar with the player, but motifs and simple phrases connecting lines can be trickier to remember..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    FWIW once I heard the advice to not slow down the recording being transcribed, from the sax player - can't remember his name - in the Snarky Puppies, who won a grammy if memory services right. His argument was if you transcribed slow you're going to hear slow down the line. He demonstrated with a fast Joe Henderson solo, where he would stop after five notes or thereabouts, figure out those notes, practice them and move on.
    I mean, once your ear is good enough I suppose. But people have to start somewhere.

When I cop licks, I learn to scat them first, and then I write down the rhythms. Then dropping in pitches is a whole lot easier. But if there's something I can't hear, I definitely slow it down. And if I still can't hear it, then I figure, "maybe I ain't ready for that."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W

So, should I feel guilty about using the slow-down function?
    No, but you should definitely feel guilty about all the people you've killed. Not to mention not using your juicer enough.

I think that clears that one up