User Info Menu

I cant deduce what chord is THIS:

At the time of the link (at 0:39), the song is at the tonic, but then it briefly turns into this out-of-nowhere chord, it sounds so awesome! No idea which chord it is or why it sounds so cool though..

Any ideas?? Thanks in advanced!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Lean, that's a G#9sus4.

User Info Menu

yes it’s nice !

4x466x
    or
    4x4321 maybe

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like the tonic there is Esus2 . The melody line there is repeating three times F# E B which are the first, second, and third strings of that chord.

The weird beauty is that the next chord sounds like a chunk of the harmony shifts up a whole step, but that shift has a few interpretations. The melody line of the second chord is F G#, second and first string of that chord.

The question to me is what to play on the guitar if I was doing this tune. The cool chord shift has the quality of an after thought, something just added in. If the piano wants to play that, I would probably pause and let him have it. If there is no piano, I would play it. Below are some ways I might play it, depending on the effect desired. As you can see these are tightly related and even the specific instances have multiple names that suggest how they are related.
    I tend to form bigger chords than I play - strumming fewer strings than I finger. In this case I would probably finger the last interpretation and strum so as to express what I think would be the best parts of the three primary shift interpretations. So I might selectively strum as to play E or B to F#, C#, or G#. I am not used to naming chords, forgive me...

E to F#
    (Esus2) to (F#M7sus2)
    [x x 2 4 5 2] to [x x 4 6 6 4]

B to C#
    (Bsus4 or Esus2/B or F#7sus4/B ) to (C#add4 or F#M7sus2/C# or G#13sus4/C#)
    [x 2 2 4 5 2] to [x 4 4 6 6 4]

E to G#
    (Esus2 or Bsus4/E) to (C#add4/G# or F#M7sus2/G# or G#13sus4)
    [0 2 2 4 5 2] to [4 4 4 6 6 4]