The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I recently watched Rick Beato’s clip on receiving Virtuoso from his father back in 1975. I got to thinking. What if I sat down and tried to learn each of the tunes? Would that be an effective use of my time? I assume my transcription skills would improve, I’d learn some Pass licks, and I’d add half a dozen standards to my repertoire. All good things.

But is it a fool’s errand? Are there more productive ways to spend my time?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I believe Beato got so much out of it because he happened to be ready for it, ie had some chops and a basic grasp of harmony, and he knew the songs. That’s what helped him going through the door his father opened for him.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

productive time good question....i needed some inspiration for soloing to propel me ahead...was in doldrums...Scott Hamilton to the rescue..his Tenor sax solos transfer to the guitar beautifully...and all standards too...

User Info Menu

Would you really be learning the tune that way, though?

User Info Menu

If only there was some way to tell ahead of time what's going to be worthwhile. I feel like learning solos and stealing licks would be better than all these scales and arpeggios I'm running, but the grass is always greener. I did transcribe an Ernest Tubb song and it was incredibly easy, so that's an improvement.

User Info Menu

My philosophy is that if you are pushing yourself, it all is worthwhile. If you are in the doldrums with scale and arpeggios then doing something more musical will definitely help. When you hit a plateau with the transcriptions, go back to BIAB(or whatever you use to practice) and scales and arpeggios.

It’s all good. Guitar is an additive process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Try Joe Pass’ books first. Great stuff.

if you sail through that, there is the Joe Pass Omnibook now.

in other words, yes it’s a fools errand. Can you bench press 1000 pounds?

User Info Menu

no scales or arpeggs...i glory in transcriptions...yes band in box too...after Scott Hamilton ill probly move to Dextor Gordon...or HAnk..no not Hank MArvin...lol no not Garland either..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    no scales or arpeggs...i glory in transcriptions...yes band in box too...after Scott Hamilton ill probly move to Dextor Gordon...or HAnk..no not Hank MArvin...lol no not Garland either..
    Hank Williams? Hank Hill? Surely not Hank Snow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Hank Williams? Hank Hill? Surely not Hank Snow.
    Hank Mobley would fit.

User Info Menu

Hanks pace is a rollercoaster ride...not sure im up for it

User Info Menu

This guy appears to have transcribed the whole damn thing. I can’t even begin to imagine doing this.

https://www.gillesrea.com/produit/jo...973-all-songs/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    This guy appears to have transcribed the whole damn thing. I can’t even begin to imagine doing this.

Joe Pass – << Virtuoso >> 1973 – All Songs – Gilles Rea
    Years ago I wrote the Berkeley School library asking about Birtuoso transcriptions and they mailed me a photocopy of handwritten transcriptions of the whole album. I’ve scanned them to pdf but haven’t ever played them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Joe Pass – << Virtuoso >> 1973 – All Songs – Gilles Rea
    Years ago I wrote the Berkeley School library asking about Virtuoso transcriptions and they mailed me a photocopy of handwritten transcriptions of the whole album. I’ve scanned them to pdf but haven’t ever played them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

thx for the heads up grahambop went ahead and ordered that "transcription" just because

;-)

Maybe one day I'll tackle some but cool someone put that effort in!

RF

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I recently watched Rick Beato’s clip on receiving Virtuoso from his father back in 1975. I got to thinking. What if I sat down and tried to learn each of the tunes? Would that be an effective use of my time? I assume my transcription skills would improve, I’d learn some Pass licks, and I’d add half a dozen standards to my repertoire. All good things.

But is it a fool’s errand? Are there more productive ways to spend my time?
    You’d gain an awful lot and it would shape your playing, but I don’t think you’d need to put in all that effort. One or two transcriptions, or just a couple of choruses from a few tunes would give you a solid understanding of Pass’ thinking.