The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you know of how to access the music or have an idea of what the changes are? I figured out the melody. I can post a crappy notation of the coda melody in this clip if that helps. The pickup to the coda is at about 5:57.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ireal pro app has this which seems broadly on the right lines.

Bar 7 of the coda looks a bit suspect to me, but there are probably various ways to handle it. (I like Jim Hall’s ending on Jim Hall Live for example).

What is the coda to Round Midnight?-aefd8dc7-9a3d-4fca-a693-ec0e399ef3ae-jpeg

User Info Menu

Awesome!! That's close to what I was thinking.

Yes bar 7 is absolutely suspect but I think it starts you on the right track. The cycle (bar 7-9 in the chord sheet) seems to include 8 melody notes (and chords). But the cycle does seem to start on Eb and end with a Bb7 resolving to an Eb.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-08-2021 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's my approximation of the melody in this particular performance.

What is the coda to Round Midnight?-rm-coda-png

User Info Menu

I think you quite often hear that cycle extended by one more step, i.e. Eb Ab Db Gb B E, then end on that final Eb chord. I’ve done that before, and I’ve heard it on a few recordings. (May not be quite what Monk did though!)

User Info Menu

Yeah I think I'll do that with a Bb between the E and Eb.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think the cycle only had 6 there. Basically what's on the chord sheet I assume.

User Info Menu

This version may be easier to listen to (easier to hear)...