The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I got Earmaster 7 mainly for interval training and chord recognition.
    I am a little disappointed because it all seems to revolve around singing your responses. I don't think singing is all bad, I just prefer for now to just identify intervals and chords by keyboard responses. Has any here used this program that could offer some tips?

I have browsed through the help file but I am not finding anything.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dear JohnoL,

As a former avid user of EarMaster for 3 years, my advice to people who are about to dabble with EarMaster is to...

- GET OUT OF EARMASTER AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN BEFORE SETTING UP YOURSELF FOR FAILURE!!! -

If you don't use EarMaster, you will be really, really, really successful!!!

- source (from my personal negative life experiences with EarMaster Pro )

Cheers,
    Jason Sioco

User Info Menu

Hey!

I've searhed for some training apps and when not finding what I needed, I just wrote some javascript for it. Everyone can learn to do that btw

You can try this: http://noodid.ee/interval/intervalsLive.html

And this:justChords

The chord thing, I can turn it into a quiz quickly. Tonight.

User Info Menu

I've been also very disappointed by the emphasis on singing by EarMaster 7, #1 reason because as far as I remember, there is no taking your voice range into account. Mine is very narrow, very limited between B2 and E3 and I had to stop using EarMaster because of that,

I changed to use the MyEarTraining app which runs on iPad, Android (and others, Windows, etc ,, don't remember) which I found much more appropriate. It does include singing exercices, whuich are said are good for improving your hearing

BUT:

- Your voice range is taken into account, first thing required before a singing exercise is started. This is this step which let me find I have the above mentionned narrow voice range

- You can select which kind of exercises to practice, singing or no singing, and many others

- You're not required to perform the singing if you don't want to, but you can practice it when you want on a limited time basis. The basic singing exercises aren't bad in fact, first because you learn a lot about your own singing abilities, and then you can try to improve them a bit, and measure progress if you decide it's worth a bit.

- Detailed statistics of your practice is provided, which helps to identify things to work on and improve

In addition, you can practice using several devices, in my case iPad or my Android phone .. whichever is more convenient at a given time, I don't always carry my iPad with me), all the results across them being sync'ed together. Plus user support is very quick and very good. I can provide examples of that if you wish

No affiliation with the developpers at all
    Last edited by mhch; 01-28-2021 at 04:32 AM.

User Info Menu

You can set your vocal range in the Earmaster settings section, including a customised range.

I don't use singing for input at all - I think that's just for 'melodies' section, and obviously the RCM Vocal course.

There are detailed results statistics in Earmaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    You can set your vocal range in the Earmaster settings section, including a customised range.

I don't use singing for input at all - I think that's just for 'melodies' section, and obviously the RCM Vocal course.

There are detailed results statistics in Earmaster.
    Which sections do you use mostly that don't require singing?

User Info Menu

I used an earlier version with kb input. I found it helpful with naming intervals. I could already play them, but would have to think about my fingers to name them. Weird. Now, I'm better than I was with naming.

I found that playing songs in 12 keys was more helpful for chord recognition/selection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    You still want to use EarMaster huh...Despite my warning.

Well, have fun with your hit and miss ear training.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    You still want to use EarMaster huh...Despite my warning.

Well, have fun with your hit and miss ear training.
    I want to listen to all sides before I discard something I paid for. I am leaning towards using the functional ear training app on my phone for awhile.
    I did take your opinion into account.

User Info Menu

Intervals, Chords, Scales have kb input. Rythmns have clapping input and Melodies have singing input.
    This is in the PC version. may be different in the app.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    Intervals, Chords, Scales have kb input. Rythmns have clapping input and Melodies have singing input.
    This is in the PC version. may be different in the app.
    It looks like what I am looking for is in the custom exercises section.

User Info Menu

I want to listen to all sides before I discard something I paid for. I am leaning towards using the functional ear training app on my phone for awhile.
    I did take your opinion into account.
    I understand. What I'm trying to say is that you're much better off creating your own customized exercises with a DAW and testing yourself with the audio files you created with a multi-media flashcard software called Anki. You don't need singing to input the correct answer for this. My singing exercises are separate. This is what I do nowadays, after I scrapped EarMaster several years ago.

User Info Menu

I remember last time I recorded some exercises. Had about 30 little wav files done. Cut, edited, named them. Then found out that half of them were out of tune.

Then learned to write some basic javascript. There's html5 audio system that every browser knows now. And oh my, fully functional MIDI api also. Very easy to use.

User Info Menu

I got Earmaster 7 mainly for interval training and chord recognition.
    I am a little disappointed because it all seems to revolve around singing your responses. I don't think singing is all bad, I just prefer for now to just identify intervals and chords by keyboard responses. Has any here used this program that could offer some tips?

I have browsed through the help file but I am not finding anything.
    Hey so, earmaster pro 7 sucks, luckily you have the option of them sending you earmaster pro 6 which is their best one.
    to further explain, in earmaster pro 7, theres no way to change the device settings directly - which makes latency a hassle - you also cant skip lessons without completing one and so fourth. earmaster 6 is fire tho

HOWEVER to answer your question directly, it detects intonation too. in ear master 6 you can adjust the difficulty.
    I had the same issue at first on earmaster 6 but it helps to do these exercises slowly. if you have any questions, pm me - i completed all of the earmaster lessons at 100% for reference.

User Info Menu

I've updated my app for quiz. Got to toy with this thing for a while to make it work properly. And maybe tinker with presets.
    justChords

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    Dear JohnoL,

As a former avid user of EarMaster for 3 years, my advice to people who are about to dabble with EarMaster is to...

- GET OUT OF EARMASTER AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN BEFORE SETTING UP YOURSELF FOR FAILURE!!! -

If you don't use EarMaster, you will be really, really, really successful!!!

- source (from my personal negative life experiences with EarMaster Pro )

Cheers,
    Jason Sioco
    This is not helpful answer.

You may have right, but without reasoning it is just a harsh personal opinion.
    What would be helpful is reasoning and telling about why, because others deserve/expect it, especially in such a categoric imperative negative opinion case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    This is not helpful answer.

You may have right, but without reasoning it is just a harsh personal opinion.
    What would be helpful is reasoning and telling about why, because others deserve/expect it, especially in such a categoric imperative negative opinion case.
    You want me to outline my cons for Earmaster?! Here you go:

* Just another one of those cookie cutter ear training software: Identifying isolated intervals and chords only don't take you that far or help accomplish your goals with melody and harmonic recognition by ear.

* Doesn't provide the platform to help you transition from only doing ear training exercises to recognizing real world melodies and chord progressions by ear.

* Outrageous marketing speak: Its promise is the sky and many fall into the trap of this scam.

* Waste of money and investment: Your wallet gets lighter from something you would scrap later.

* The moment I scrapped Earmaster, what followed a few years later recently after I changed to my present day tools is more consistent pitch sensitivity and a longer sustained recognition of melodies and chord progressions in real music by ear. It will only get better from there.