The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

'A common adage with Perfect Pitch is that can be developed below the age of 5. If you look at my life at the time of this writing December 20, 2020 – I have a lifestyle of a 5 year old: No school, No job, No girlfriend, No wife, No children, Not driving, Not paying bills, Still living with my parents. I have sacrificed all of the adulting just to bring back to my pre-programmed state as a little child and reprogramming my subconscious and perception. And I feel that this is what I should be really working on.'

You should probably edit this part of your blog a bit because for one, I don't think 5 year olds write blogs on the internet. Also 5 year olds do go to school.. its called kindergarten

User Info Menu

For years, I've been seeing ads for it and reading comments from people who are trying.

But never once from somebody who succeeded.

Why is that?

User Info Menu

...oh not again...

It is not. If you believe it then you mix the pitch memory with hearing the sounds as seeing colors.

btw the last thing I want "demystify music" (credit goes to you) I would like to part of it instead, which is understanding generation of artists, their (musical) thoughts, intentions. The majority of those musicians had no perfect pitch, so I am sure, my lack of it will not be a problem getting closer to my goal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    For years, I've been seeing ads for it and reading comments from people who are trying.

But never once from somebody who succeeded.

Why is that?
    Their Perfect Pitch training methods and tools were simply full of crap. That's why they didn't succeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon
    'A common adage with Perfect Pitch is that can be developed below the age of 5. If you look at my life at the time of this writing December 20, 2020 – I have a lifestyle of a 5 year old: No school, No job, No girlfriend, No wife, No children, Not driving, Not paying bills, Still living with my parents. I have sacrificed all of the adulting just to bring back to my pre-programmed state as a little child and reprogramming my subconscious and perception. And I feel that this is what I should be really working on.'

You should probably edit this part of your blog a bit because for one, I don't think 5 year olds write blogs on the internet. Also 5 year olds do go to school.. its called kindergarten
    What I'm trying to say is that I am reprogramming my mind to my original native state as if I'm before 5 years old again. Have you ever heard of the religious term 'born again'?

User Info Menu

You've already have a thread that deals with this .. You've been at it for almost two years. How is it working out for you?

Why I think Adults can develop Perfect Pitch

User Info Menu

I don’t see any evidence in that blog post, just wishful thinking. I’d need more than that to “firmly believe” something.

It’s funny though, we watch the same news program just about every evening, and a couple of years ago I got in the habit of singing the theme tune just before it plays. I nearly always hit it within a few cents. It’s become a daily challenge to nail it. Of course that’s not perfect pitch. I don’t see much point to trying to achieve perfect absolute pitch though. I think relative pitch is much more important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    ...oh not again...

It is not. If you believe it then you mix the pitch memory with hearing the sounds as seeing colors.

btw the last thing I want "demystify music" (credit goes to you) I would like to part of it instead, which is understanding generation of artists, their (musical) thoughts, intentions. The majority of those musicians had no perfect pitch, so I am sure, my lack of it will not be a problem getting closer to my goal
    Yes, relative pitch is mighty enough to demystify music. But my daily life at the time of this writing goes like this:

* I train myself with Perfect Pitch first thing in the morning after I exercise, when my mind is still fresh.

* I transcribe various parts of the day along with everything else in between.

* In the evening, I train myself with Relative Pitch.

* This should have been my life when I was 5 years old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    You've already have a thread that deals with this .. You've been at it for almost two years. How is it working out for you?

Why I think Adults can develop Perfect Pitch
    My work with Perfect Pitch is basically successful. and my operations going strong. My first stint with my method in 2019 when I made the thread Why I think Adults can develop Perfect Pitch was successful. The only problem with my journey was that haters on Youtube and on this forum began bashing my Perfect Pitch videos as relative pitch. To be honest, that broke my spirits and I did not practice Perfect Pitch for many months. Then one day I snapped out of it, I began re-learning what I have built up in 2019, but this time practicing Perfect Pitch with an instrument. I am not making Perfect Pitch videos on Youtube anymore. This way no one can bash my main Perfect pitch practice anymore. This time no one can stop me except myself, and now I am moving forward to completing my goal and my perfect pitch program.

Once I develop perfect pitch, I plan to study online software engineering and develop a software or app for Perfect Pitch using my learning style that I discovered on my own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    haters
    You know what .. It's 2020 .. Life is hard .. We don't really care about whatever you choose to spend your time on. We just don't understand why you bother, when you instead could be spending time on actually learning tunes and playing.

Here is a dude that actually has perfect pitch arguing that ear training is a waste of time.

May I suggest jumping to 59:57

Anyways .. what ever you choose to do, good luck with it and hope you have fun.
    Last edited by Lobomov; 12-20-2020 at 10:48 PM.

User Info Menu

People play with the meaning of perfect pitch. What I've stuck with is perfect pitch is something you are born with, even that is iffy. Some say all people are born with the capability of perfect pitch, but no one notices so they don't get the basic training they need between ages 3-6 to develop it. So you don't use it you lose it. The there are people that develop ability to hear pitch accurately and I hear that called absolute pitch and that's what many Jazz cats work on and develop. Then the relative pitch that most people work on and develop the most musicians say is important and more important than perfect pitch.

I think the big factor is how good is your memory people with excellent memory usually do well in developing absolute or relative pitch. Sound is a complex thing to learn to remember. Also as we age our hearing changes and even those with perfect pitch start losing it once they hit their 50's. First you start hearing things flat then as time goes on the perfect pitch disappears.

Personally being old AF now and looking back now I think people today wait too long to get serious about working on their ears. I think people wanting to get into playing an instrument basic ear training needs to be taught right from day one. I like what Victor Wooten and other say that if someone wants to play music get them the instrument they want to play and don't give them lessons for a few months. Just let them play around with it, make sounds with it, see what they discover on their own, basically bond with it before starting lessons. Another thing I heard someone say recently and I think makes sense is, early in learning to have student learn some singing or violin two things that will help with learning pitch and playing intune.

The ears are everything in playing music the better your ears the better the musician, so start early.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    People play with the meaning of perfect pitch.
    The ears are everything in playing music the better your ears the better the musician, so start early.
    Yeah there's something which is undeniably evident as perfect pitch; knowing any note exactly as if an aural grid were placed on everything. People with perfect pitch have told me it's a blessing and a curse, unable to be comfortable with something that's slightly off, being aware if an orchestra is tuned to 444 A, being able to hear but being uncomfortable with microtonal music. It's an undeniably neural hard wiring thing. Strangely enough, it CAN be lost. Or I've heard first hand from people for whom this has happened. Gary Burton, well known educator and vibes player wrote in his autobiography that he had perfect pitch all his life. One time he got a fever and he was very ill, almost life threatening I think. When he came out of it, his perfect pitch was gone. Almost as if the grid had been erased. He relearned music and rewired his brain with a stronger relative pitch.
    Singers (professionals) who know their instruments on a regular basis tell me they can find a note to the cent, by how it feels. (I remember someone telling me it didn't matter between a 16" and 17" guitar because it's only 1/2" either side and who can feel that? He was NOT a big player). That's muscle memory and can be really accurate.
    When I worked on the QC line at a big name guitar facility, I was working with guitars ALL day. And tuning each of maybe 50 a day was part of it. I was able to tell the slightest inconsistencies in finish, neck depth, weight and balance AND I developed the ability to tell a note if it was even the slightest off. I could tune a guitar by feel, no strobe or tuner and I became dead on. All the time. From that, I could find any other note by envisioning the fingerboard.
    But that's way different from what people with neural perfect pitch describe to me.
    Of note, after I stopped working there, I gradually lost that ability over the course of the next 6 months. Now I can find tuning on my own instruments but it's nowhere as dead on as when I worked "on the line".
    My relative(intervallic) pitch is really good and I use a tuner for speed and convenience now. I know I could sharpen my ear tuning if I wanted but I'm always eager to put those pitches to use in making music. Take it as you may.

User Info Menu

Someone who definitely knows what they are talking about:

User Info Menu

It's funny, I almost never watch videos, but I checked out the Christiaan Van Hemert video. I really agree with 95% of what he says in this video.

It is very tempting to want to think that being able to hear everything is sort of a pre-requisite for jazz musicians, but, there's tons of jazz musicians with less than perfect musical recall and it mostly doesn't matter.

User Info Menu

My daughter has what I would call perfect pitch and she was not born with it. She developed it around the age of 7 after taking Yamaha music lessons for about 3 years starting at 4, which are similar to the Suzuki method and emphasize singing music before playing it using a fixed do solfege system.

Around that time, she started to notice people signing something in a different key and her violin teacher noticed that she could sing any pitch she was asked without any reference note.

So, I think it is wrong to claim that perfect pitch is something you are born with. Also, I think it is much higher in East Asian communities. Whether that is genetic or associated with speaking tonal languages is an open question. But they have done studies of speakers of tonal languages and those who are native speakers use a different part of the brain to process the tones than those that learn the language as adults which makes it easier for them to recognize these tones. So it appears that processing of sound in specific ways as a child can alter brain development in a way that can't be duplicated as an adult.

My conclusion from looking into this is that it is possible to develop perfect pitch during childhood for many, but unlikely as an adult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

It seems that 0.01% of musicians care about that topic. That means the video is badly constructed. The bottom line should come first or no one cares. Again.

User Info Menu

Hey he’s new to YouTube. But one can assume that most people are not sufficiently interested to do what is necessary to form an informed opinion on anything. There’s not really a bottom line.

User Info Menu

Re: Hemert; I’ve never coveted perfect pitch. I’ve known several people who have it and it always seemed like a pain in the bum.

User Info Menu

Re: Hemert; I’ve never coveted perfect pitch. I’ve known several people who have it and it always seemed like a pain in the bum.

They might be doing it wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    Yes, relative pitch is mighty enough to demystify music. But my daily life at the time of this writing goes like this:

* I train myself with Perfect Pitch first thing in the morning after I exercise, when my mind is still fresh.

* I transcribe various parts of the day along with everything else in between.

* In the evening, I train myself with Relative Pitch.

* This should have been my life when I was 5 years old.
    It is hard to make a conversation this way. You quote my post, then not even remotely answer the multiple thoughts in it, instead writing and repeating total uncorrelated things, mainly again in the center of You.

User Info Menu

I've instantly lost my confidence in this guy in the very first minutes. It is so incorrect to compare himself in his demo (which can be accomplished with medium relatve pitch, btw) with Dylan, who has way more convincing demos like what in this video quoted.

Just a first thought, our man is not a correct arguing partner, which is always a bad sign.

Also the length of video a bit terrifying, but I am going to take the time, especially because you mentioning topic this second time within a short period.

User Info Menu

There's studies upon studies on this: adults cannot develop perfect pitch (for now). Btw, what you're developing is pitch memory, not perfect pitch. They are not the same. I don't think you even really know what PP is (most don't tbh). It's not just hearing a note and knowing what that note is without a reference. This is a tremendously watered down definition that causes tons of misunderstandings. This is also how the few studies that do "prove" adults developing PP generally measure if someone has developed PP (unfortunately, many scientist don't know enough about music to accurately describe and categorize what PP really is). The way people with PP hear is fundamentally different than those without. Not better, just different.

As someone stated above, you've been at this for 3 years and still no PP. I guarantee that if I tested you, you'd show no signs of having developed PP. Isolated note training exercises (which is what you've been doing based on your videos), does not accurately measure PP.

User Info Menu

Jason, there is one question asked over and over that you don't answer. Why do you want perfect pitch?

The musicians here are assuming (because you don't answer why) you want perfect pitch to become a better musician, so they try to explain you'd get a lot further as a musician concentrating on music instead of the regimen you are doing.

It's not hate, it's a failure to communicate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I've instantly lost my confidence in this guy in the very first minutes. It is so incorrect to compare himself in his demo (which can be accomplished with medium relatve pitch, btw) with Dylan, who has way more convincing demos like what in this video quoted.

Just a first thought, our man is not a correct arguing partner, which is always a bad sign.

Also the length of video a bit terrifying, but I am going to take the time, especially because you mentioning topic this second time within a short period.
    Sam Leak (great player!) did not demonstrate perfect pitch in that video. Single notes on his main instrument that he is well acquainted with is simply not the same as being able to identify context-less notes produced by other instruments with different timbres.

Regardless, the human brain is remarkably plastic - both functionally and structurally - even (though less pronounced) among the elderly. Who the heck knows what it can be trained to do with a singular task given enough time and effort?