The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi anybody knows software to reduce speed without losing quality? If would be great if its free...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

AFAIK, there’s no perfect solution to this. Any alteration of an audio recording’s playback speed is going to introduce some artifacts. The tone of an instrument is hugely affected by transients at the early part of the waveform, and you can’t slow the playback speed, maintain pitch, and somehow keep the transients unaffected. All that said, Capo and Transcribe! both do a good job of maintaining pretty decent audio quality as playback speed is adjusted. Neither is free. Both are tremendous value for the price.

User Info Menu

I use Transcribe, it works a treat. It´s not free, but worth the small investment many times over. I have learned more from that than the many music books I have at home. I used the Amazing Slow Downer in the past, that worked too.

User Info Menu

Audacity is pretty good, and it's free, but it's far from lossless. If you want to do drastic resamplings at very high quality, you're going to have to spend money on hardware and software.

User Info Menu

+10 for Transcribe!, I've been able to 20x slow down a long series of 8th note triplets played at 180 bpm in order to transcribe them.
    Of course transients were altered at that factor, but I've been surprised I could hear the pirches that good.
    At the more usual 3/4x or 1/2x or 1/4x slow down sound quality is perfect, the best or one of the best among these kinds of sofrware tools.
    Lots of feature really worth the investment in money(around 50 USD) and learning time. My only regret is that it doesn't exist on iPad.

Definitely not the case with Amazing Slow Downer which I tried out of curiosity on my Android phone. At a 3/4x slowdown sound was seriously altered while very good with Transcribe!

Didn't try Capo yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Audacity is pretty good, and it's free, but it's far from lossless. If you want to do drastic resamplings at very high quality, you're going to have to spend money on hardware and software.
    Audacity has a ‘change tempo without changing pitch’ effect which is actually very good. Make sure you tick the ‘high quality stretching’ option in the effect.

Worth a try, given that it’s free.
    Last edited by grahambop; 07-07-2020 at 05:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I've used Transcribe! for over 15 years now and can't recommend it highly enough (cough Music
    – FoMu Sound
    )

A note of caution from the OP though, regardless of the software you use, you are going to come up against the fact that when you slow a piece of audio down you are drastically reducing the sample rate so it's unlikely you're going to get clear audio like you might get from slowing down a tape or record. Think of it like slowing down a video, you get a jerky stuttering picture qualty- exactly the same principal.

Get Transcribe though, written by a jazz guitarist so support our people :-D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    AFAIK, there’s no perfect solution to this. Any alteration of an audio recording’s playback speed is going to introduce some artifacts. The tone of an instrument is hugely affected by transients at the early part of the waveform, and you can’t slow the playback speed, maintain pitch, and somehow keep the transients unaffected. All that said, Capo and Transcribe! both do a good job of maintaining pretty decent audio quality as playback speed is adjusted. Neither is free. Both are tremendous value for the price.
    Sorry I completely missed this response before posting my own!

User Info Menu

Reaper does it really well. If you already have it and didn't know that...