The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, not been on this forum for a LONG time! Great to see how it's not only still here but going from strength to strength by the looks of it!

I thought I'd drop by to share a transcription I've just done by the great Billy Bauer. If you like Johnny Smith's chordal work then you might appreciate BB's work, I absolutely love this track.

Hope you enjoy it and any constructive criticism welcome.

Thanks! Dan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A truly great guitarist. Your transcription helps understand him.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for this. He was such an inspiration to many guitarists from the '50's. I am sure Billy Bean wore Billy Bauer's play-a-long album out. What is it about Philadelphia that creates these monsters?

User Info Menu

Music
    – FoMu Sound

I've got the PDF's of my transcriptions available for download on the link above

User Info Menu

That's awesome that you did that! I'm sure it was a lot of work. I'm glad to see Billy's being appreciated. Thanks so much!

I was a student of Billy's from the mid 1970s through mid 1980s. I was always amazed at his playing. His ability to fluently play harmonized solos always floored me. I think that's well represented on this track. I wish I had gotten to the level of playing like that, but it's still a work in progress .

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I am sure Billy Bean wore Billy Bauer's play-a-long album out. What is it about Philadelphia that creates these monsters?
    FYI - Billy Bauer was from New York (Billy Bauer - Wikipedia). I'm originally from Long Island and took lessons with him in Albertson and Roslyn Heights.

User Info Menu

That's great that you had lessons with him; there's a lot to unpack in his playing for sure, I'm learning all the time!