User Info Menu

I currently completed a transcription for the melody of I'll Remember April the Sinatra version. What I like to share about this transcription is that I was doing my usual perfect pitch practice for single notes and all of a sudden every time I hear the note G and the note Bb during the practice - I would hear fragments of the melody from the song I'll remember April.

People in the Perfect Pitch world call these phenomenon - Melody Triggers.

Melody Triggers is what I use to recognize Db, F and A. Back in the day, I had trouble hearing Db, F, and A. I solved this problem by accident.

The Db - When I was still doing conservatory piano, I learned a Grade 9 song called The Girl With the Flaxen Hair by Debussy. The song would begin with a Db anacrusis.

The A - Still in the conservatory piano realm, I learned a Grade 5 piece called Passepied in D Major and it has an A octave as the anacrusis.

The F - This happened while I was transcribing a church song called Above All by Michael W. Smith. The song is in the Key of Bb and the first few notes contain an F.

Not to mention there is also a thing called chord triggers, where you play a chord from a song for an extended period of time and you start developing perfect pitch for that chord.

This melody triggers thing is a solid proof that adults can develop perfect pitch using this method.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think it's great that you've improved your ears. This however is not Perfect Pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazenkane
    I think it's great that you've improved your ears. This however is not Perfect Pitch.
    Melody Triggers is NOT Perfect Pitch?! WHAT?! Sometimes the trolls who go to jazzguitar.be are either dumb as a bag of hammers or really hollow people with only cobwebs as the brain on their head or just inciting a fight.

These are the same people, when I talk about my progress with melody recognition by ear, They talk more about women and going to prison than the main topic itself.

These are the same people, who normalize and downplay my progress with perfect pitch as only relative pitch. FYI - My perfect pitch practice is separate from my relative pitch practice - After I am done with my perfect pitch practice - I go to another world and do relative pitch for the rest of the day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco

They talk more about women and going to prison than the main topic itself.
    truth to be told, women are just way more interesting than perfect pitch. and i spent a night in prison once. don't ask.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    Melody Triggers is NOT Perfect Pitch?! WHAT?! Sometimes the trolls who go to jazzguitar.be are either dumb as a bag of hammers or really hollow people with only cobwebs as the brain on their head or just inciting a fight.

Sorry to burst your PP bubble. And, I'm not a troll. I'm a University level Jazz guitar professor and have been for 30 yrs. Keep working on your ears. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

I haven't got PP

but when I recall the old Beatles pop hits
    'And I love her' etc , 'dance with you' She loves you' etc etc I 'hear' them at the correct pitch

This was 50 odd years ago ....
    maybe we all do this for our formative musics ?

I'm 63 now and was a young teen when these tunes came out
    maybe these pitch memories are set when you're at that kinda age ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brazenkane
    Sorry to burst your PP bubble. And, I'm not a troll. I'm a University level Jazz guitar professor and have been for 30 yrs. Keep working on your ears. Enjoy.
    Every music professor in university is anti-perfect pitch anyways. For me a perfect pitch birther, one who believes you have to be born with perfect pitch to get it and everyone beyond age 4 has no fat chance is similar to a Covid-19 believer. As a Covid-19 denier, I listen to many hours of David Icke content. Even when David Icke was banned from YouTube, I still continue to watch him on Bit Chute. If you listen to a lot of David Icke you will get a lot of aha moments of how this Coronavirus is a global scam and nothing to do with health but a planned agenda. Back to the perfect pitch, I spend a lot of time practicing Perfect Pitch. for me it’s normal And mundane. Then all of a sudden I get people telling me that my perfect pitch is actually relative pitch. Downplaying the degree of difficulty of what I do with Perfect Pitch. If I am really using relative pitch for my PP activities then I would be zipping through the exercises like I’m playing Functional Ear Trainer, because that is how fast my relative pitch actually is.

User Info Menu

So now you know "every" professor? Would that be in the entire world, or only the US? SMH

You seem to be very good at talking to yourself. Go for it.

I'm done.