Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

waitress, Rice or chips

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Probably not in California. Don't you get a new guitar in prison?
    Only in Folsom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I think we were in the same educational system?
    I remember ... I was about 10 .. I am sitting at the desk in the class, the teacher plays 2 voices dictation (about 8- bars realtively simple polyphony) on piano (three times with no pauses)... and I clearly remember how I idiotically look at the blank note paper in front of me.

I also could easily pick it up on the isntrument or sing the voice... but the task was to write it down.
    Eventually I learnt to do that but even now I asm not too good at it.

It is not really difficult.. must be -- it is relation between the sign and pitch... like sound and letter.
    Yes, of course, Mussorgsky college in my case. Almost all my classmates were better at solfege, coming from kids music schools prior to college, I only learned music notation a few months before with a private tutor. But later in US college I got much better at it.

But the Russian system was quite unforgiven, I remember that much. You suck at something, you get laughed at by teachers and mates both. It was a good school for life in general. Not quite like Whiplash, but pretty close. At least my experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think solfege is stupid and annoying.
    Yea, but you need to know do-re-mi-do-re-do. If you ever find yourself with Russian musicians, sing it to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Probably not in California. Don't you get a new guitar in prison?
    I don't know if you are a person of color. But if you are, you could just come to California and drive a car. You'll find out right quick.