The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Perceived pitch also goes sharp as the volume increases... you have probably heard this at the end of an orchestral piece that finishes on a fff finale, then suddenly stops, and the softer reverberation of that last chord drops in pitch as it fades.
    Acoustic research tests are probably carried out in conditions isolated from outside noise, neutralizing the acoustic effects of the halls, etc. nothing comparable with the diverse reality of a concert venue

a fact that has nothing to do: the Japanese, like the Indonesians I think, do not hear sounds with the same part of the brain as Westerners, it would be closer to the birds, and we understand better then how this could have influenced their traditionnal music

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Your friend certainly won't process it as "sharp, closer, close, right, flat flatter, close, right, sharp, sharper, but less than 5ms ago ...", or rather soon he would come to overload shutdown. He must allow for some margin. If there is a margin, why would he care about 2 Hz difference. [...] How would your perfect pitched friend feel about it?
    That's quite what I told myself when I wrote my answer. He was professional, big band, with his klezmer orchestra, his jazz quartet, my amateur band... He played in many countries... And all this is far away, in the 80s, I lost sight of it, I can not ask him the question

the advantage of the relative ear and not absolute is that you can agree as you want. When I was working on the double bass, I wasn't looking for the 440hz. Anyway, I have never made any progress in absolute pitch. When I hear a tonal song, it sings the lyrics in my head sol sol sol do do ré ré sol mi do ... no matter the tonality, even a fourth of the gap. I have to find tricks when the tonality changes. But I never have a problem to play in the 12 tones, because for me, the "lyrics" do do do ré mi are always the same: it's my very special memory of standards

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    But I never have a problem to play in the 12 tones, because for me, the "lyrics" do do do ré mi are always the same
    That's "Movable do solfège" - Solfege - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    That's "Movable do solfège" - Solfege - Wikipedia
    yes, we found this principle in John Mehegan, 1959

I did "Movable do solfège" as a kind without knowing it, like Mr. Jourdain was doing prose (Molière, Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme). I didn't know that this system was taught, and I invented syllables for altered notes: dob deu, do# dè, mib mé, fa# fè etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Let's start with two extremes:

Now test yourself online and contribute to scientific research:

Test Your Sense of Pitch | NIDCD
    It's Thelonious Monk!