The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    So, my take on slurring lines. With the difficulty of putting sax lines on guitar, something is always changed. Jimmy Raney's feel is not like Parker's - it's straighter, more behind, for instance, but I love it. One player I feel has really nice articulation is Mike Moreno, a real bop guy but with a modern twist... And I've basically stolen his rules, which are similar to PMBs, except not so strict, in that I will pick two notes in a row if they are on adjacent strings (Moreno uses economy/sweep picking) so Moreno's/my fingerings end up being a bit more standard/traditional.

That said practicing the stricter version of slurring is probably a very good idea.

Also, simply playing a scale or other phrase but accenting all the upbeats. Of course, jazz musicians do not in fact accent all the upbeats, but it is often a necessary corrective to the tendency for many people to accent the downbeats. It also helps draw attention to their rhythmic placement.

Beyond that, I also practice stuff with a metronome click on the 'ands' - maybe the '+' of 2 and 4. Given that's where you will be picking, these exercises work hand in glove.

Again, this is not the end of the road, but it's a very useful stepping stone on it. Upbeats are a problem for most students. Playing with records won't help unless you are able to perceive where Bird is placing his notes. Some people are just really good at this, and find breaking stuff down in this way tiresome or pointless. Others less so...

I think playing with a click can help with that, if only in that it gets you used to synchronising exactly with another sound. Some might dispute the value of using a metronome, but I think the thing is not the click, or the regularity of it, but being able to lock in with something. That's the thing to learn.

(The next step is being able to project your time feel, of course.)

It's complicated. Guitarists (like me) are quite stupid about this stuff, so don't listen too much to them. They get distracted by having to know the chords to things and so on.

Instead, talk to drummers. If they aren't just able to do it because they were playing Samba or Gospel at 7 years old or something, they have to be able to break down this stuff and get good at it because they can't simply lock into the pocket - they are the pocket!

Exercises develop perception and flexibility. They are not holy writ. And they shouldn't form too much of your practice. In the end, your ears are the ultimate judge, and the thing that needs work, all the time.
    All great advice, Christian. Btw, it was Moreno that got me rethinking about the optimum tonal areas of the guitar neck. I also agree that working with metronomes/clicks is valid as long as we approach them in a creative, exploratory manner rather than as a crutch.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

it's the phrasing, the little baroque embellishments, the quotes. the rhythms of course. but most importantly it's that in-your-face quality, that is a vital part of bop but is mostly overlooked these days. this is why to my ears grasso's low-key approach sounds not really like bud powell or bird. i hear no sense of urgency. it's all well rehearsed and impressive. but all bop styles need to kick ass to an extend imo. like bird playing white christmas with an almost punk rock attitude.
    Definitely. As much as I love Tal Farlow and Jimmy Raney (and Grant Green was a big fan of the latter), for me one of the only guitarists back in the day that managed to combine the laminar flow of Bird and the rhythmic urgency of Bud Powell was Billy Bean (check out this clip at 0'54"):

Last edited by PMB; 02-16-2020 at 10:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i think at times he sounds so much like lou donaldson it's uncanny. check out "here tis" (foggy day) and "good gracious" (caracas). good solos to learn too.

same with stan turrentine. the way you look tonight is worth investigating. turrentine's solo could verbatim be from grant and vice versa. or broadway from the live recording.

listen to the brazil solo from 1:15 to 1:30. if that's not pure bird i do not know what is. i hear more bird in those 15 seconds than from any other guitarist (maybe except eddie mcfadden).

it's the phrasing, the little baroque embellishments, the quotes. the rhythms of course. but most importantly it's that in-your-face quality, that is a vital part of bop but is mostly overlooked these days. this is why to my ears grasso's low-key approach sounds not really like bud powell or bird. i hear no sense of urgency. it's all well rehearsed and impressive. but all bop styles need to kick ass to an extend imo. like bird playing white christmas with an almost punk rock attitude.
    Interesting observations DJG. I never thought about the in-your-face quality of bebop but now you mention it ... I'll check out the tunes by Donaldson and Turrentine. I know you are a big Grant Green fan but I need to check him out more than I have already done so far.

DB

User Info Menu

tiny grimes on tenor guitar...very early on with bird..grimes had great pedigree...had played in art taum trio with slam stewart

bird also played with barney kessel, arv garrison and bill d'arango early on...the latter was a pretty good bopper, before he disappeared back to the midwest

nobody did it better than jimmy raney..he was a true bopper...a bird disciple...& of the era!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I always liked the Tiny Grimes sessions, despite Parker's superiority Grimes would always dig in and blow.

User Info Menu

Bebop Jazz Guitar Licks - Classic Bebop Sound Decoded - Advanced Jazz Guitar Lesson

How Charlie Parker Licks can help you play better Jazz Guitar - Bebop Jazz Guitar Lesson

others exercises

User Info Menu

I'm not much of a "learn a whole solo" guy, more of a "take the parts I like and run" kinda player. But that's more on the constraints of time, really.

I'm not sure what bad could come of trying this. Lawson will likely find out that a lot of Bird sits like crap on the guitar and it's impractical, but he can learn phrasing ideas, and assuming he's paying attention to the harmony as well (which I'm sure he is) he'll learn a lot about how Bird approached different common movements in this music, as Donna/Indiana has a bunch of them.

It's music, not brain surgery. We can fuck up a few times, world keeps spinning.

User Info Menu

I was not planning to post anymore on this thread, but the fact is, I gain so much from the observations, insights, and advice that you all give, and also, this is my only real jazz guitar "community." You all are my teachers, but colleagues, my audience, and my critics. So I realized that I want to keep posting here as I make progress simply as a way to be accountable and gain insight as I go.

So the whole debate about slurring that kind of went of the rails actually struck me as something worth working on. I decided to slow it down a bit, to maybe 170, and try to adjust fingerings where I could slur into the downbeat. I think I also got a little sloppy slurring a lot of other stuff, but I'm having fun with the solo and feel like I'm making some progress.

I really do appreciate observations, things that I'm hanging up on you notice, and advice for making progress.

User Info Menu

I'm glad to see you're sticking with the thread! I really think the tune holds up well at this tempo. Maybe it's not full on Bebop, but it sounds good to me. So much smoother, and it swings nicely.

I actually started working directly on hammers, pulls and trills last year. Very boring exercises, but I think it's helped me to play these elements with more clarity, more 'shape' and a better feel.

I was led to believe that alternate picking every note was the real way to play jazz guitar when I very first got involved. This came to me through a guitar buddy who actually took some lessons. It was reported to have come down from J. Smith himself. A lot has happened in jazz guitar education since then. (late 60's)

I think you're moving in the right direction by slowing down and having some fun. I've said this before, and I've been caught in the trap a few times myself: if playing just becomes a series of problems to overcome you soon lose the true joy in playing actual music, and in the end that's really what it's all about. Sometimes we need to temper our ambitions a bit and have some patience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    I always liked the Tiny Grimes sessions, despite Parker's superiority Grimes would always dig in and blow.
    Tiny played like he was 6 foot 8.

User Info Menu

very nice and enjoyable..great tempo....worth a second replay..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I was not planning to post anymore on this thread, but the fact is, I gain so much from the observations, insights, and advice that you all give, and also, this is my only real jazz guitar "community." You all are my teachers, but colleagues, my audience, and my critics. So I realized that I want to keep posting here as I make progress simply as a way to be accountable and gain insight as I go.

So the whole debate about slurring that kind of went of the rails actually struck me as something worth working on. I decided to slow it down a bit, to maybe 170, and try to adjust fingerings where I could slur into the downbeat. I think I also got a little sloppy slurring a lot of other stuff, but I'm having fun with the solo and feel like I'm making some progress.

I really do appreciate observations, things that I'm hanging up on you notice, and advice for making progress.

Great post. Nice to see people who can put their ego aside. Your playing sounds good; it sounds like bop. I can offer two pieces of advice since you genuinely seem to want honest feedback:

1. Have you adjusted the pole pieces on your pickup? The top couple strings sound very thin compared to the great tone on most of the guitar.

2. The only thing that took away from the performance were the couple spots where notes rang into each other, but I think I saw somewhere else on here that you're aware already and working on it.

You're sounding pretty solid at this tempo.

User Info Menu

I like the slurring effect, it makes your playing sound more relaxed and legato. I do it quite a bit myself, probably influenced by listening to Wes Montgomery but also because it just seems to work better for me than picking every note.

I was going to write this in French, but then I considered your blood pressure, so I didn’t.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Tiny played like he was 6 foot 8.
    and he did it wearing a kilt, he had some cojones.

Learning Charlie Parker "Donna Lee" Solo?-d0fd473a-9fad-43cb-8df6-73b91d36e0d6-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    Great post. Nice to see people who can put their ego aside. Your playing sounds good; it sounds like bop. I can offer two pieces of advice since you genuinely seem to want honest feedback:

1. Have you adjusted the pole pieces on your pickup? The top couple strings sound very thin compared to the great tone on most of the guitar.

2. The only thing that took away from the performance were the couple spots where notes rang into each other, but I think I saw somewhere else on here that you're aware already and working on it.

Thanks. I'll check those pole pieces. Notes ringing over other notes has been a weakness in my playing for a long time. Still a lot to work on there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse

What adjustment of the pole pieces would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What adjustment of the pole pieces would you recommend?
    I play a 175 also, and the only way I've been able to get a (nearly) even sound on the strings was to raise the high e pole piece as high as it can go without it being touched by your pick or interfering when you play. I think the low e is close to as low as it goes (they can go below the level of the pickup surface). So I start with the high e and adjust by ear from there. I think if you use your ear you'll and up with them very staggered. You can always set them back, no big deal.

edit: Strings make a big difference too

User Info Menu

On mine I have the high E pole piece up quite a bit, and all the others down at the same level.

User Info Menu

So I go back and forth between the 16" and 17" guitars, 24.75 and 25.5" scales. This L5ces just sounds so sweet I wanted to post this clip. The amp is a Fender Princeton Reverb ReIssue, the Sweetwater Limited Edition with the 12" Cannabis Rex speaker. This amp just sounds fabulous; I hope the recording here captures a sense of it. ON the tune itself, I'm working on the legato feel, slurring esp. to the downbeat, and generally easing the tempo up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I like the slurring effect, it makes your playing sound more relaxed and legato. I do it quite a bit myself, probably influenced by listening to Wes Montgomery but also because it just seems to work better for me than picking every note.

I was going to write this in French, but then I considered your blood pressure, so I didn’t.
    Ha! My blood pressure is actually quite good and French is a wonderful language I wish I knew. Then again...

User Info Menu

Excellent, Lawson. You're sounding (and looking) so much more relaxed in these last couple of clips.

User Info Menu

This clip isn't much different, but playing this morning it all felt so much more fluid, smoother, somehow. Still mistakes, but it all seemed to flow so much better than before. Posting this just to log that moment. I'm sure it felt a lot better than it actually sounds, but there you are.

User Info Menu

So this is the last 22 measures of Bird's solo, played with the recording slowed down to 170 bpm. I am learning this is nothing like playing with the recording to get nuances of time and feel better. I go through this little segment 3 times, one each on an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Reissue, a Gibson L5ces, and a Peerless Monarch.

One feature of Bird's solo that intrigues me is his re-use of ideas between the two choruses. It's a heavily used device in this solo.

User Info Menu

So here's Bird's two choruses of solo from the Omnibook, played at about 170 bpm for now. Not without some clams, I'll admit, but I can feel it clicking into place and I hope to get it cleaner and quicker in the days to come.

I find this solo actually lays out rather nicely on the guitar. I have found very few uncomfortable stretches, unlike the head!

User Info Menu

Still working away on Donna Lee in the Omnibook. This is finally the head and both choruses, played at something like almost a reasonable tempo of 185 bpm. Some flubbed notes in here, of course. I never seem to be able to play it clean at any pace, so I would rather make mistakes at higher tempos!

I appreciate observations and advice, especially from any who have tried to play this.