The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 173 of 173

User Info Menu

I had a mania about playing by ear but with relative pitch. After a few years training I played by ear. 3ish songs... and you know.. no wrong notes, yey!. Nothing was really wrong. But not right either - too little creative learning, not enough tunes for sure.
    Point is - it was a basic skill but I spent way more time on these exercises than they really needed. At some point such things should take only minimal amount of time to keep it green. The sooner the better.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Jason, I thought you'd be interested in the Adam Neely video. But you sound angry.
    Yes, I was a little grouchy during that time because I was gonna catch a fever eventually. Something in my system was not right during that time.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi Jason, Your hard work is admirable. Are you going to challenge Beato at some point? I'm sure he would be receptive to doing a Skype call where he plays the chord and you name it. He would probably use whatever timbre you wanted (and may also be fine working from the pre-determined list of chord voicings you have). Would be cool to see if you could prove everyone wrong on this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruewheel
    Hi Jason, Your hard work is admirable. Are you going to challenge Beato at some point? I'm sure he would be receptive to doing a Skype call where he plays the chord and you name it. He would probably use whatever timbre you wanted (and may also be fine working from the pre-determined list of chord voicings you have). Would be cool to see if you could prove everyone wrong on this!

I would actually watch that Beato video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I would actually watch that Beato video.
    Me too

User Info Menu

Yes, definitely, that's what I'm planning to do. But now is not the right time yet. I am still 23 out of 88 in my single notes module. Once I get there and master perfecting to hear 87 keys at once, harmonic and melodic, then that's the right time to challenge Beato. I say that because Rick will use his son Dylan for my challenge, so I'm preparing for that.

Disclaimer: In 2017, when Rick Beato first uploaded that infamous Perfect Pitch youtube video, Rick Beato actually challenged me to have a Skype session with him, after he saw my comment that challenged his PP narrative. I accepted the challenge, I gave him my email address, but he didn't get back to me, and he seemed to have backed out. And my perfect pitch was not even good during that time.

But anyways, I was supposed to be here to show how I did with my PP practice today. And here's what I did.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jason, do you think you'll ever be able to identify the constituent parts of a complex chord the way Dylan does in Beato's videos? That seems a long way off...

User Info Menu

Jason, do you think you'll ever be able to identify the constituent parts of a complex chord the way Dylan does in Beato's videos? That seems a long way off...
    In my past vids I have demonstrated the ability to do identify the inner voicings of a complex chord. It happens all the time when I am transcribing. But as of now, November 30, 2021 - my head is not really in ear training or Perfect Pitch right now and I've been doing a lot of piano improv lately (rhythm pattern on the left hand and melody and arpeggios on the right). I have been practicing strides, walking and rolling bass on the left hand and I have been doing some heavy melodic and arpeggiated workout with the right hand.

What happened this year is that I discovered some piano improvisation channels on Youtube (New Jazz - Oliver Prehn) and my piano teachers supplemented what I learned from the Youtubers and now I'm improvising on the piano and I can't stop!

I think I need to make a new blog post to fully explain my current mood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    But as of now, November 30, 2021 - my head is not really in ear training or Perfect Pitch right now and I've been doing a lot of piano improv lately (rhythm pattern on the left hand and melody and arpeggios on the right). I have been practicing strides, walking and rolling bass on the left hand and I have been doing some heavy melodic and arpeggiated workout with the right hand.

What happened this year is that I discovered some piano improvisation channels on Youtube (New Jazz - Oliver Prehn) and my piano teachers supplemented what I learned from the Youtubers and now I'm improvising on the piano and I can't stop!
    Jason, that's fantastic! Nothing wrong with playing music, that's what we're here for!