User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hasn’t the ability to develop perfect pitch been tested scientifically many times already?

I think developing musical memory would be more important: To hear a lengthy melody once and then be able to repeat it. Or to hear a lengthy rhythm and be able to remember it all. Can that be developed?

Great jazz players with perfect pitch, when I asked them about it, they said they don’t feel it really gives them any advantage. One guy said it’s even annoying because when music is out of tune it really bugs him. I know some classical pianists with perfect pitch that can’t improvise jazz.

User Info Menu

People think if you have perfect pitch you are going to play like this:

It has everything - the change in Rhythm at 1:24 reminds me of Hendrix . A rare expanded ( Bach like 10ths ) (beyond ridiculous chromaticized lines in perfect time )
    Blues & much more and a lot of implied or real passing chords that anticipated much of the Jazz Vocabulary and amazing syncopation and time feel - . If the horn player was Charlie Parker -imagine . Parker sounds like he was avoiding 'Church' in Bebop AND avoiding 'Danceable Grooves '- but if he had jammed with Tatum it would have forced him I think ......
    Normally 'expanding Blues sounds more interesting but gets less' raw' than Chicago Blues - more' tuxedo blues' . Not Tatum .
    Tatum gets super down and dirty on this one . An incredible performance - which was routine for him apparently.

Ray Charles was rumored to be able to play pieces after hearing it once - the music memory thing you mentioned .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-06-2021 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu