User Info Menu

John Lennon seemed to sing rhythmically somewhere between sixteenths and triplets. I am trying to distinguish his rhythmic phrasing accurately. (see my 2 page transcription attached to this post). His three note groupings tend to have been triplet leaning and for example I have indicated a triplet sign above his "two sixteenths plus an eighth note groupings". The background accompaniment was a rather straight sixteenth feel. Lennon seems to have had a soulful 12/8 thing going on. How do you hear it?
    Attached Images Attached Images John Lennon's vocal rhythm ?-mind-games_0001-jpg John Lennon's vocal rhythm ?-mind-games_0002-jpg 
    Last edited by rintincop; 11-17-2019 at 06:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah that cheeky skiffle swing

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop View Post
    John Lennon seemed to sing rhythmically somewhere between sixteenths and triplets. I am trying to distinguish his rhythmic phrasing accurately. (see my 2 page transcription attached to this post). His three note groupings tend to have been triplet leaning and for example I have indicated a triplet sign above his "two sixteenths plus an eighth note groupings". The background accompaniment was a rather straight sixteenth feel. Lennon seems to have had a soulful 12/8 thing going on. How do you hear it?
    I think the way you're describing it is pretty accurate. It may just be his very idiosyncratic vocal phrasing or maybe something else:

I honestly wonder if they didn't just slap that 16th note synth down after the fact, kind of studio-built...

EDIT: apparently not. Pretty consistent with earlier versions you can find. If anything, the earlier ones sound more locked in on the 16th feel...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Ah that cheeky skiffle swing
    Skiffle .. Now there is a word that I haven't heard since high school .. but yeah .. in in those days some 30 years ago you couldn't teach Beatles without starting with Skiffle

He really was singing sixteenths, but they are quite different than classical sixteenths. It has a psychadelic effect. I am sure he had a characteristic way of accelerating and slowing his sixteenths. I am not quite sure on a micro rhythmic level what was happening with Lennon's rhythmic phrasing.