User Info Menu

Hi Everyone
    I am new around here my name is Brian
    A 50 year old guy that had to move from CA to Utah due to the cost of living but still want to learn
    Now I having yet got to my profile yet ????

I am not a newbie to music but have a lot of gaps in musically knowledge

But I like Blues ,Jazz,Rock, Christian Rock,And Classical music and I love all kinds of rhythms
    I like guitar and piano etc,,,

But what I need help with please

Ok I can sing or hum melodies medium to pretty fast with my voice

I do this over and over until I get this melody and rhythm in my head Lord Willing
    and use metronome at a very slow temp so I can do this fast rhythms
    then I pick up drum sticks and beat on my leg with the rhythm in mind at a slow speed along with metronome
    I try to do this for 3mins straight

Then pick up the guitar
    then I try to search for the notes one by one until I can play the notes with the rhythm

Now if I play a chord and then a melody after playing that chord
    This will be a lot easier to find the Each note because I do not have to search very far

Now
    if I cannot get the rhythm and melody want to hear deep in my head

I will hum one note at a time and slowly try to find it on my guitar or midi keyboard with in my daw Logic Pro X
    Until I get it

Now when I listen to a song I cannot hum or sing along with those melodies on say Spotify or YouTube etc...
    because seem to be moving to fast even the slower ones
    and since my range is not very wide
    I cannot hum or sing them
    if I scream them I can hit the note but this will hurt my voice in the long run

So I get very frustrated when trying to sing or hum the guitar solos for Hotel California by The Eagles or a The Classical piece from Bach or a blue lick from SRV
    since voice cannot hit those notes and ear is not able to hear that fast

So I tend to use a slow down software one Called Transcribe
    to slow things down very slow to where I can Hear one note at a time
    and I listen to over and over until I can get one note right before I move to the next note etc....

then once I do get the chord or the phrase down at that speed
    I will speed up the program Transcribe just fast enough to where I can physically play it
    and I play that over and over again until I feel comfortable at that speed

My goal it to be able to play it at full speed but I know this will take time

So Then I go back to Transcribe software and slow way down the next part
    And repeat the same process as above until I can play both of the two phrases at a slow speed and again speed up to as fast as I can physically Play them

First question will the slow down software ruin my ears from developing ?
    Is ok to use?

And then if so what can I do sharping my ear and mind more for the connection to internalize my mind to sharping my ears
    So I can hear better and more define and be able to pick up faster phrases etc...?

What step in order should I do on a daily basis ?
    is there anything I am doing right?
    or I am doing everything wrong?

Thank You In advance
    God Bless Sir

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s not clear what you are trying to accomplish with all those activities. Are you trying to learn a song (chords and melody), or are you trying to transcribe someone’s solo, or trying to learn a full arrangement as played on a specific recording? It’s best to have a well defined objective and start with fairly easy material gradually moving to more difficult. Slowing records down won’t do any harm, but I think it would be better to start with slower, simpler tunes.

KirkP
    I am sorry I try to explain
    basic in a nutshell
    I am been just trying to Sharping my mind to my ear a more deeper connection with my instruments voice,guitar and keyboard

I am just using the tools in my first post
    humming a rhythmic and melody ideas
    metronome
    and use a slow down software called Transcribe

to sharpen my ear
    While I continue to slowly learn my instruments

And Thank You for the advice

on “
    It’s best to have a well defined objective and start with fairly easy material gradually moving to more difficult. Slowing records down won’t do any harm, but I think it would be better to start with slower, simpler tunes.”

Sorry for confusion

djg
    Thanks for that advice

I have a YouTube account
    but I am not very good on my instruments I am ok
    and do-not feel safe post myself on the video

So would it be ok if I posted a unlisted YouTube video on here instead so I can get help from all of You or we do-not have permission for that

User Info Menu

I dunno how far are you with your ear skills so, can't go too specific here and I've been in this "ear business" only for 5ish years myself - so, thats not too much really.
    There are abundance of exercises and training methods for the ears (way more than anyone could ever need or master in one lifetime).
    But for starters, I'd absolutely vouch for just playing the things you already know on your instrument. All the cool and very-well-known things at least. The melodies and passages and bass-lines and whatever you've had enjoyed and just try to play them on the instrument. Either figure out the key and proper scale patterns and tie them directly to those or go crazy, ignore all that geeky stuff and let the fingers find a way to play them.

It really sharpens the mind and ear and fingers, builds better connections between them. The reason why I always suggest this is rather simple and straightforward. We all know lots of music and have emotions embedded in them - if we haven't tried to actually play that stuff, the "info" is dormant... passive - we should surely use this huge pile to advance musically with our instrument. Also we learn quicker when more emotions are involved. And learning one tune/passage/etc will help learning other ones - that's almost a solid fact .

edit: without the program.. from the head. (Not saying there is anything wrong using any of those tools.)

Thank You emanresu
    I will do that
    I need to start with very slow and simple Melody and Rhythmic ideas

now I will try and just play melodies ,bass lines rhythmic patterns that I know and if I need help may come here and ask ?
    and if so where do I go to post unlisted YouTube videos or MP3 of very short melody ideas
    Remember I very new at this

User Info Menu

One piece of advice I often hear is to put much of your time into learning a lot of songs. Don’t worry so much about improvising at first, just focus on learning the melodies and harmonies. With each tune you learn, your ear gets better, you begin to understand the building blocks of harmony, and you get a better sense of melody that you can draw from when you improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    One piece of advice I often hear is to put much of your time into learning a lot of songs. Don’t worry so much about improvising at first, just focus on learning the melodies and harmonies. With each tune you learn, your ear gets better, you begin to understand the building blocks of harmony, and you get a better sense of melody that you can draw from when you improvise.
    Thanks I never thought of it that way
    I will do that ????

User Info Menu

Transcribing melodies just like you are doing now is a great way to improve your musical skills. I think you are doing all the right things. Just keep at it, slow and steady wins the race :-)

Kirk's suggestion to learn songs is a really good one. Pick very simple songs and learn to play them from start to finish, in just the way you have described. This will teach you how to recognize pitches, how to remember melodies, and how to play an entire song without stopping before its finished. Each song you learn will teach you some new guitar skills too.

The more songs you learn, the easier it gets.

To other forum members: Transcribe! is great software and it offers a 30 day free trial:

Download Transcribe!
    Last edited by starjasmine; 09-16-2019 at 10:48 PM.