User Info Menu

I'm new to playing guitar for jazz, and I'm especially new to transcribing. Does anybody have a slower tune with a solo that would be relatively easy to transcribe? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Something by Miles Davis, e.g. So What?

User Info Menu

There are soloists who didn't play so many notes. Paul Desmond on alto comes to mind. Hank Mobley is another.

Youtube has an option on every video to play it slower. Click the gear icon.

Transcribe! and Amazing Slow Downer, will slow down anything and loop as small a section as you want.

User Info Menu

The first solo I transcribed was actually Scott Hamilton's solo on Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    The first solo I transcribed was actually Scott Hamilton's solo on Autumn Leaves.
    Scott is so transcribeable. Never a wasted note.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Any mid tempo jazz standard covered by Chet Baker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Any mid tempo jazz standard covered by Chet Baker.
    Just not his solos on Just Friends, he missed the harmony change at the beginning of his solo. I remember my teacher talked to me about that.

Irregardless, his solo on Just Friends is SOOOO singable. I can still hear parts of it in my head...

In college, we all had to transcribe Chet Baker's scat solo on "Do It the Hard Way"--that whole album is ridiculous.

I have to listen to that album again. Kenny Drew on piana...yikes!