User Info Menu

Do you, or to what extent do you, enter your own custom drills, exercises, lessons, etc.. into transcription software to catalog them for easy access when needed for a student. I've started the process of doing this with my own stuff and it is quite a daunting task even for my simple selection of materials.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I never took the time to do that.

I just remembered them and would teach them to students as necessary from memory.

Regards,
    Steven Herron

The way I was taught by another teacher who teaches a ton is to basically never do that kind of thing outside of the lesson . Set things up in your studio where you can enter things easily and print for your student that day. Then, you have a digital file for posterity going forward as well. If you do that incrementally, you can develop a lot of material without taking vast quantities of "extra" time to develop them.

If you want to save a lot of time in the future, youshould probably be doing the same things with video etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    The way I was taught by another teacher who teaches a ton is to basically never do that kind of thing outside of the lesson . Set things up in your studio where you can enter things easily and print for your student that day. Then, you have a digital file for posterity going forward as well. If you do that incrementally, you can develop a lot of material without taking vast quantities of "extra" time to develop them.

If you want to save a lot of time in the future, youshould probably be doing the same things with video etc.
    I've considered doing the video thing. How do you use videos in the grand scheme of your guitar instructional programs?

I've recorded lessons or classes which can be used later. You can edit them down as much as you want or add things , but you're not starting from scratch every time. It's a simple as playing through a song that you teach over and over and breaking it down a certain way.

In the digital age now, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to record the majority of things you do and simply budget a little editing time each day. Again, easier than starting from scratch for sure. When I get a new student for the kind of class I've been doing with homeschoolers the last few years, I just link them to a playlist full of material. Among other things, it looks like you know what you're doing.