Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

User Info Menu

Guys,

I just interviewed Wim den Herder, a countryman of mine. He is a fine player and has transcribed and studied some amazing Oscar Peterson solos in the past. These days he runs the guitar academy in Amsterdam.

The level of difficulty of the solos he plays in real time over the original solos is pretty outlandish because of the insane speed. Nothing was slowed down. He even played this stuff live on stage at the time ... The solos were way back and these days he has clearly developed his own style but ... this is what dedication and a ruthless practise regime can produce. I still marvel at those vids.

DB

Blog entry at:

Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Oscar Peterson On Guitar
    Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 03-21-2019 at 07:24 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Astounding!
    I'm a big fan of OP (and of Herb Ellis and Barney Kessel, among others, who played guitar in his famous trios.)

I wouldn't have thought this could be done on the guitar...
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Good Lord!

That guy is absolutely amazing!!!

I've never heard of Wim before so thank you for posting that video.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Authentic Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

Wow!
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates
    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” - Alan Wilson Watts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog View Post
    .... he has clearly developed his own style .....
    Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Oscar Peterson On Guitar

Saw this on that other thread. Probably the fastest Jazz guitar solo I've heard, so kudos for sure for a super human effort. However, I'd hope that that kinda talent and dedication can produce something original. What do people think of his original style? Or better still, can you point me to examples of it so I can see/hear for myself?

User Info Menu

White belt
    My Youtube