The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 144 of 144

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - October 10, 2019 - I have already amassed 164 chord voicings. Closing in on 200. I began with only a couple of few ones around late February 2019. People on the internet (not this forum), especially those Perfect Pitch Nazis, scoffed at the idea of a non-absolute adult having consistent success with Perfect Pitch. They were saying along the lines that it will not last and those who claim that an adult have success with Perfect Pitch are liars. Well, he he he, 6 months later in October 2019, I am still going strong. With the help of my jazz piano teacher, she has dumped a truckload of voicings in my notebook, most of them I haven’t used yet for Perfect Pitch. Here’s a couple of videos as evidence that I am being truthful in my progress. And I am publishing my success with Perfect Pitch to the world.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - October 14, 2019 - I got another 3 stars for Meludia Melody. For this app, I am always pushing myself to go beyond my current limits and get even more better. I have always been an advocate for self-improvement especially in music and playing by ear. The only problem is that people around me and the psychiatric people who monitor have this idea that I'm a person with permanent disability. The pros of this title around me is that I get free money from the Canadian government, because they think I am too disabled to be involved with employment, which I use the money to buy my rig, studio equipment, and accessories XD. The cons is that I am treated as a liability and not competent, but this is like my chip on my shoulder. From my guitar practice to everything else, with small accomplishments day by day, I am hoping that I am proving people wrong that even though people think I am disabled, I believe in myself as a high caliber musician and a prolific composer.

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - October 15, 2019 - Got another 3 stars for Meludia Melody. But I am not satisfied with that. Hopefully next time I push myself to an even higher score. I am currently getting 62k. I'll push myself this time to get 65-66k.

User Info Menu

This is what musicians that go to hell will have to do for eternity....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    This is what musicians that go to hell will have to do for eternity....
    And what tasks will be assigned to those born with perfect pitch?

User Info Menu

Imagine that. In that hell - you have 1 000 000 years to practice.. then they(the demons) make you go and do your first performance and you fail because of stage fright.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    They must listen to music at A = 438

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - October 18, 2019 - I was able to reach my personal goal of reaching 65k in my high scores for Meludia Melody. Now I will be aiming for 68-69k.

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - October 19, 2019 - I officially completed all 150 levels of the Advanced Module of Meludia Melody today. I will begin practicing with the Expert Module tomorrow. But not publishing my practice with Expert Levels yet. Like what I did with the Advanced Levels, I skimmed through it and completed the module and I ended up establishing some high scores to beat. My only problem with this app is that I find the interface of the Intermediate, Advance, and Expert a bit glaring to the eyes. Watch this video and see if you agree that this is a bit glaring to the eyes.

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - October 22, 2019 - I've been doing this form of ear training for more than a year now. I started out plucking out the chords by ear the songs for the church I go to. Now I am doing any style/genre of music. There's still more to come of this.

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - November 18, 2019 - Here's something I didn't show yet with my Perfect Pitch...naming single notes!!! My perfect Pitch is weird, I excel at naming chord voicings in their absolute name, but suck at single notes. But finally got a breakthrough here. As for the chords, I am sitting at 194 chord voicings, poised to reach 200, which is my goal for this year.

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - November 24, 2019 - I reached my 2019 goal of mastering 200 individual chord voicings by Absolute Name and it's not even Christmas yet! This is a testament to the success I have with Perfect Pitch this year that I didn't have in years past.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    Their favourite musicians are on stage, beckoning to come join them and bask in adulation from an audience consisting of all people they've had tiffs with in the past. Then they turn around to pick a guitar, but only find one of those australian bwooorp bwaaarf tubes.

User Info Menu

On the age of perfect pitch development, I don't think it is generally true that it only happens when kids are babies. For instance, in Japan, the Yamaha music program starts at age 4. The curriculum involves fixed do solfege and playing pieces on keyboards and they claim a high rate of perfect pitch development by the age of 5 or 6.

They also claim that this window closes at around the age of 6 but there are instances of people developing pp even at ages older than that.

I do think that it is almost impossible to develop as an adult.

User Info Menu

Jason, if you're having fun with this then more power to you and I hope that you succeed in your goal.
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 12-03-2020 at 05:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Whenever I think back of the awesome scene from American Dad where Roger says "nooo!" to Francine, I hear the pitch. And when singing it and checking, its very close to 220. Tried quite a few times.
    .... but here's the weird part. Roger doesn't sing it at 440. But I do when recalling it. Because it should be "A".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Whether one has perfect pitch or not is a question of whether pitches are ingrained in the long term memory or not.
    No to this! What you describe is this:
    Levitin effect - Wikipedia

Studied / documented in relatively recent times.

It's as counterintuitive as it gets that most of us have in fact our tunes ingrained in the long term memory using absolute pitch BUT still don't have PP. Try singing acapella a song you've heard a million times on the radio since you were a child and you'll see that you do it in the key used on the recording.

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch:
    - what is it the ability to do?
    - how to test for the ability?

What is supposed to be the ability that is perfect pitch? Just on the surface, if it is the ability to identify a pitch by its note name, the first question would be, "...with respect to what concert pitch?", because historically concert pitch has had a variation of over a half octave through the last half dozen centuries... A=440Hz became a standard less than 100 years ago - that pitch may have been called seven different names before then.
    Assuming the subject has been in the A=440 world and their perfect pitch is registered to that, the next question would be, "...with respect to what temperament?", because historically there have been over two dozen temperaments, about a half dozen of which were popular over the centuries... Equal temperament is a relatively new thing in music.
    Assuming the subject has been in the equal temperament world and their perfect pitch is registered to that, the next question would be, "How is it tested and how close does it have to be to qualify as this ability?", because "perfect" or "absolute" suggest exactitude.

If the test is to assume concert pitch is A=44Hz, assume equal temperament, and the ability to name a pitch, the allowable error in their perfect pitch is about plus or minus 50 cents, which is half a semitone up or down. You can see why; the named pitch as an answer is "correct" for that wide a range of pitches, which means their answer will be "correct" but not perfect or absolute unless the pitch is, too.

A proper way to test might be to have them just turn the knob on an audio oscillator to produce the +/- 0 cent pitch deviation of a named note, the problem with this being that it seems the bulk of the interest in testing for this ability includes non-musicians or children who may have no idea what is meant by requesting "F#". You can't just say, "Turn the knob to match this pitch"... (maybe you could present the sound of the pitch to them, then have them come in and turn the knob three days later?).

User Info Menu

I like this idea of a test, it should be a pure sine wave. Because the other confounding factor is the harmonic presence of other pitches in the timbre of different instruments. People usually play piano for testing pitch memory.