The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 144

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Dylan Beato vs. Jason Sioco - A Perfect Pitch showdown!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch and Relative Pitch Update - August 3, 2019 - I haven't been on this website for days because my room is being renovated. My ear training and practice routine is out of wack right now, because I don't have a proper place to practice and a proper internet connection. Our house is big, so most areas in our home don't have any internet available. I have unlimited data on my phone, but I prefer inputting threads thru my laptop in my room. However, not having the proper practice habitat didn't deter my productivity at all. I was able to manage to practice guitar and jazz piano for 5 straight days (this week Monday to Friday) I was able to transcribe the melody and chord progressions of the following songs for 5 days...

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - August 8, 2019 - I was finally able to get rid of those nasty sound glitches in my videos. Instead of posting comments about my ear training practice, I will post a video screen of me training my ear. The only stuff that I still won't post publicly are my transcribing sessions. Because my transcription process involves a lot of trial and error and everything of the process is mostly error. I am able to figure out the puzzle eventually, but I would be posting the video on youtube, where I don't get a lot of respect on that website. When Youtube was still a brand new advent, the video uploads were built for laymen like us. Today youtube is business and revenue oriented. Giving laypeople like me no chance of getting views. Most of my videos on Youtube are real Perfect Pitch videos, yet they don't show up on the mainstream search engine if you type "perfect pitch". What you mostly see are clips from the pitch perfect movie, baseball pitching, business and other ridiculous things like that. Youtube doesn't respect my channel to the point that they put my videos on another category, despite placing the appropriate title and tags, giving me no chance to get views...Don't worry, I am like a train, I will just keep going and going. Until youtube places my perfect pitch videos on the right category and search engine, where it should be. FUCK YOUTUBE!!!

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - August 16, 2019 - I am progressing really well with naming harmonic intervals by absolute pitch. A day will come that the 2 note harmonic intervals will turn to 5, 6 ,7, 10 note chords. Would that be considered Perfect Pitch? It should be, what else could it be?

Also the renovation of my room is almost done. I am crossing my fingers that it will be done during this weekend. I mention that because I can finally show how I practice my transcriptions by ear via video screen. Not only that my sister purchased at Amazon an Ipad tripod, so I have Youtube videos of me playing my instruments.

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - I have already amassed 154 chord voicings, 26 harmonic intervals, and 25 single notes by absolute name. I am closing in on my 2019 goal of amassing 200 chord voicings.

Unfortunately, I won't be posting videos of my ear training journals, because I am still saving money for a gaming laptop, so it will take a while.

User Info Menu

I did my research a few years ago, I've current conclusion is, no they don't.

Many confuse a very good sound memory (paired with skilled relative pitch) with absolute pitch. So if one can start Star Wars in the correct pitch, it does not mean she/he have absolute pitch.

Absolute pitch has nothing to do with memory. It's more like as you see colors. Yellow is different as green, you do not have to remember to anything to recognize it (You do not say, that is the same color as my nephew's hat, that was called yellow, so this is yellow, neither do this consciously or inconsciously. Giving a more acoustic example: like you identify vowels. You do not recall anything, do not compare to anything, just hear/feel it.

Babie's brain can process and categorize acoustic signals, and divide the signal to elementary parts (like vowels, and pitches). They do this with every signal. If the baby hears a lot of relatively good musical processable signal (piano, for example) there is a chance they categorizing the 12 pitch, later they learn the 12 name for it. No more no less.

After age 1-2 this window is seems to be closed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I did my research a few years ago, I've current conclusion is, no they don't.

Many confuse a very good sound memory (paired with skilled relative pitch) with absolute pitch. So if one can start Star Wars in the correct pitch, it does not mean she/he have absolute pitch.

Absolute pitch has nothing to do with memory. It's more like as you see colors. Yellow is different as green, you do not have to remember to anything to recognize it (You do not say, that is the same color as my nephew's hat, that was called yellow, so this is yellow, neither do this consciously or inconsciously. Giving a more acoustic example: like you identify vowels. You do not recall anything, do not compare to anything, just hear/feel it.

Babie's brain can process and categorize acoustic signals, and divide the signal to elementary parts (like vowels, and pitches). They do this with every signal. If the baby hears a lot of relatively good musical processable signal (piano, for example) there is a chance they categorizing the 12 pitch, later they learn the 12 name for it. No more no less.

After age 1-2 this window is seems to be closed.
    I don't know about that. My relative pitch and perfect pitch are separate skills. My native instrument is the piano (I play guitar too, that's why I have an account in this forum) and the point of bringing that up is that I had several incidents where I heard a piano chord on an actual recording by absolute pitch. Sometimes playing the chords/notes of a piece over and over again helps me hear the color of it. Sometimes I start to hear the colors of chords that I transcribe by absolute pitch on the piano. This happens to me a lot that it's already old news.

If you want to know what's my latest "hearing colors" moment. I transcribed a Christian song in the key of F Major and the first chord of the recording is a IIm7 or Gm7 in PP and the voicing is R 7 3 5 3. After I transcribed the chord, months later, recently I am starting to I.D. that particular absolute chord voicing in my Perfect Pitch Practice. I have many more of these stories but too many to write in this post.

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - September 14, 2019 - I have now amassed 158 chord voicings. Closing in to 200. The video below demonstrates my perfect pitch with the voicings 51-65.

User Info Menu

Miscellaneous Perfect Pitch Update - September 14, 2019 - Here's me having fun with key recognition. The audio lags at the beginning, but it's okay after that. Enjoy!!!

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - September 15, 2019 - I recently discovered how to record the screen on my Ipad. This is one of the apps that I use to train my ear to recognize melodies. Enjoy!!!

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - September 18, 2019 - I have amassed 159 chord voicings, closing in on 200. Here's a video of me practicing voicings 51-66.

User Info Menu

Perfect Pitch Update - September 19, 2019 - This is my daily progress with Perfect Pitch on the two note harmonic intervals. Later on, this will turn into 3 note harmonic intervals, 4, 5, 7, 10, and so on.

User Info Menu

Interesting, probably irrelevant bit of info I learned in a lecture today:

Absolute pitch
    1 in 10,000 Western World
    1 in 20 people with Autism

It's not well understood, but it may have to do with the way autistic people process sounds - for instance early in life they hear language as musical sound, not sounds with meaning.

User Info Menu

Dunno. I have a hunch that it has to do something with the ability of focusing 100% to something and should be available for people who can do that constantly. I mean, sometimes I can get focused like that but only for very very short periods. Then I go "oh man, if I could go on like that for two hours... oh well". But people with autism seem to be the exact opposite, cannot not focus 100%.

I'm not debating here at all. Just a superficial observation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yeah ... apart from this thread there isn't a single case of a non-baby developing perfect pitch
    Having spoken to experts on perfect pitch and hearing again and again in lectures and seminars the absolute pitch is something invariably developed in early childhood, that kind of makes me think Bruce Arnold is selling snake oil.

But maybe he isn’t?

Jason has gone out of his way to document his progress, and it would seem like a fairly weird thing to fake. So I’m open.

User Info Menu

You can develop a really good relative pitch. In short term, when you have a reference pitch or tonality in your head, it can be indistinguishable from perfect pitch.
    I think it's just as valuable (if not more) than perfect pitch to develop high level of relative pitch, but it won't refute the claim that adults cannot develop perfect pitch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    You can develop a really good relative pitch. In short term, when you have a reference pitch or tonality in your head, it can be indistinguishable from perfect pitch.
    I think it's just as valuable (if not more) than perfect pitch to develop high level of relative pitch, but it won't refute the claim that adults cannot develop perfect pitch.
    That would always be my priority because I know it’s going to work.

User Info Menu

It is a positive thing to reach for the highest level that we can imagine.
    Whether a final goal is achieved or not, it is likely that improvement will occur.
    Less is likely to occur while focusing on what is impossible.

User Info Menu

I've used various ear training tools in the past. I've been using an app called Functional Ear Trainer in the past year or so. It basically plays a cadence in a key then plays a series of notes for you to identify. You can restrict the notes in the drill. Say first only chord tones, then all scale notes, then add chromatics, only chromatics etc. I can now do 90-100% all 12 notes in the app. Of course I did very badly in the beginning. 10-20mins on you commute or lunch break 3-4 times a week is enough to make progress. My next step is all octaves (currently it's restricted to 1 octave), then different keys. Once you get good add it, you're temporarily perfect pitch after hearing the cadence. You start hearing notes with different color so to speak 2 has a color, 5 has a color, b6 has a color (not literally).
    I doesn't automatically translate to the world outside the app though There is still more work to do, but it's a big step towards that goal. It's useful for those who are less ambitious and just aim for relative pitch.

User Info Menu

I do admire Jason's perseverance. When he says he'll acquire perfect pitch, he is not kidding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Absolute pitch

It's not well understood, but it may have to do with the way autistic people process sounds - for instance early in life they hear language as musical sound, not sounds with meaning.
    I don't consider myself autistic. But based on my medical records/history, I was diagnosed with a mild form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome. This doesn't mean I am totally autistic, it just means that I'm socially inept. And it is displayed in my current life: no friends, inactive on social media, dead love life, lonely activities - music XD, hanging out at jazzguitar.be XD. However, I don't parade around that I am autistic, because I felt I was misdiagnosed or over-diagnosed. I remember the day I was diagnosed with autism: Given a multiple choice questionnaire - doctor tabulates the answers - voila! I am autistic. I was depressed during that time so that multiple choice questionnaire, I could have answered differently today. Anyways, here's another video of my progress in Perfect Pitch. - September 25, 2019.

User Info Menu

Absolute pitch

Additional Information:

I don't consider myself autistic, but my IQ was tested twice when I was around 3 and 12. However, I didn't know of the results until I was already 24. The first one was when I was 3 years old, where the doctor had me to play a group of blocks. The second one was an IQ test in school. The doctor said to my mom, I played the blocks in a symmetrical manner that was not deemed ordinary. The second one: my mom and my home room teacher was called by the principal to talk about my results of the IQ test. According to the results, my spatial reasoning on the test was very, very high that it was already considered as 'genius' level. Those are the two stories in my life I like to throw in there. However, I don't buy in to these two life stories. Up to this day, that "genius" of mine hasn't really came out. But right now, I am refining and developing stuff that I am good at and I'll see where it leads me to.

User Info Menu

Relative Pitch Update - October 2, 2019 - I have a total of 27 Meludia Melody Journals already. In my 26th attempt, I finally got the coveted 3 stars. I know there's like a 4th star or something, but I am getting better at this app. I haven't peaked yet. I will try to reach my highest potential for this app.

User Info Menu

Thanks for introducing me to Meludia. This is a really nice app!

User Info Menu

Thanks for introducing me to Meludia. This is a really nice app!
    I just downloaded the app as well. It might be the best one I have seen so far.