Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 144 of 144

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Jason, I worried about posting my playing after talking everyone's ear off with Contextual Ear Training--I still do.

But, if you post some of your musical abilities--even if it isn't perfect--people will get more of an idea about what you are working on and how you are applying it to real music.

If you get attacked, I'll stand up for you.
    Me too.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Perfect Pitch and Relative Pitch Update - June 6, 2019 - I have now unlocked 130 chord voicings 24 single notes and 17 harmonic intervals for Absolute Pitch.
    About the youtube perfect pitch video thing:
    *I took a week off last week from practicing perfect pitch, because I had to...I was way behind in my actual music lessons. Sometimes I over train my ear that my actual music practice (technique, repertoire) gets compensated.

*When I came back practicing perfect pitch the following week, I was all cobwebs.

* then I had to learn how to record a video screen: this took me a while to figure out, but long story short, I now know how to record a video screen and it's easy.

*It's just a matter of time, if I am able to capture one particular AP session where I get 100% accuracy on this deck of 50 chords then I will post it on youtube.

Relative Pitch Update - On my charlie banacos practice, I have already added 5 to 6 note chord voicings. It's basically the same voicings that I have already been doing with perfect pitch, but they act as functional voicings. i.e. let's say the voicing is R 5 9 3 7 11 then I will use the same voicing to function as a I chord IV chord V chord VI II III chord and so on. this is the advantage of someone like me who does ear training by customizing my own exercises, sometimes my imagination goes wild!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco View Post
    ...sometimes my imagination goes wild!!!
    That might explain what you have been writing here for the last three months.
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

Perfect Pitch Update - June 18, 2019 - For the past 2 weeks, I have been distracted by the NBA Finals. I live near Toronto so I was watching the Raptors. I'm glad that's all over and I got the result I want on that thing. That's good because I don't have to watch basketball for the next winter months and for the rest of my life. I am a musician, I'm not supposed to watch sports. Music and sports don't mix. Both mediums require your time and attention and you can choose only one. I am now back at my Perfect Pitch Routine and my schedule is back to normal. The long layoff also delayed my upcoming Youtube video. In the video, I am not that familiar with the chords 46-50 and I'm making mistakes with those. I have to be 100% accurate at my execution, because I have a bad reputation on Youtube. I am one of those people that don't get a lot of respect from Youtubers and I easily get some dislikes. My general cover videos don't get mixed with the rest of the group, but placed in my own name, even with a good tag. My videos are considered mediocre. Of course I myself want to change the narrative, but right now I'm stuck.

User Info Menu

Music and sports definitely mix--why do you think there's a basketball team named Utah Jazz?

Peter Martin loves Basketball and he's a killing jazz pianist.

I think Miles obsessed over basketball from what I remember from Quincy Troupe's Miles and Me.

Maybe you can record some stuff on Sound Cloud? The studies you are doing sound very exciting, but I wanna hear how you apply them to your music.

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    The studies you are doing sound very exciting, but I wanna hear how you apply them to your music.
    All of my customized ear training exercises are built with the purpose and end goal of effortlessly recognizing melodies, chord progressions, voicings, orchestration, basslines, etc of actual real world music in real time. Over the years and even today on a weekly basis, I have encountered and been with people who have really prolific hearing (source of inspiration ) I first been with this people back in 2009 when I was studying in a bible college (studying church music). I was so inspired that I said to myself at that time "10 years from now, I will master ear training and be like "them"" Guess what I'm doing 10 years later in 2019. I wouldn't say I have mastered ear training, but I am playing by ear and heading to the right direction.

One thing that I didn't mention yet that I am already doing are creating countless sets of ear training tapes for relative pitch. Since I ended school, I have two types of days: day-off or on-the-go. As much as I like to stay home and practice, I am not immune to on the go days. Right now I am hearing noises from my family that we would have a couple of long road trips this summer. I built these ear training tapes for these kind of circumstances. So that I can still train my ear when I am outside, on the plane, at the doctor's office, where I am away from my normal habitat. During the NBA Finals, I compensated my lack of productivity at that time, by listening to my tapes, while the games were going on. I do have enough tapes to listen to an entire basketball game and it's more than that. I upload the tapes to Google Drive. I have google drive on my Ipad and Phone. I would listen to the tapes with headphones of course because it's a repetitive racket

I finally got that monkey off my back...I finally made the video!! Here are some of my perfect pitch chord naming skills!!!

User Info Menu

Recent articles:

PERFECT PITCH: WHY SOME PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE RARE MUSICAL SKILL POSSESSED BY BACH AND MOZART

Auditory working memory predicts individual differences in absolute pitch learning

I played music in high school with a guy who had perfect pitch. He never had any problem with out-of-tune pianos or guitars, etc. He adapted on the fly and was an incredible keyboard player. I'd ask him about it from time to time, as we'd play at various venues that would supply their own piano or electronic keyboard (the good old days lugging around a Hammond B3 and leslie!) and he'd just shrug and say it was no big deal.

All this stuff about people being "tortured with perfect pitch"...sounds like urban myth mixed with a good helping of drama queen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft View Post
    Dylan Beato vs. Jason Sioco - A Perfect Pitch showdown!!!

Perfect Pitch and Relative Pitch Update - August 3, 2019 - I haven't been on this website for days because my room is being renovated. My ear training and practice routine is out of wack right now, because I don't have a proper place to practice and a proper internet connection. Our house is big, so most areas in our home don't have any internet available. I have unlimited data on my phone, but I prefer inputting threads thru my laptop in my room. However, not having the proper practice habitat didn't deter my productivity at all. I was able to manage to practice guitar and jazz piano for 5 straight days (this week Monday to Friday) I was able to transcribe the melody and chord progressions of the following songs for 5 days...

User Info Menu

You can set up most phones to be wifi hotspots to which your laptop can connect. I do that all the time. At least it's easy with Android phones, no idea about Apple products.

Perfect Pitch Update - August 8, 2019 - I was finally able to get rid of those nasty sound glitches in my videos. Instead of posting comments about my ear training practice, I will post a video screen of me training my ear. The only stuff that I still won't post publicly are my transcribing sessions. Because my transcription process involves a lot of trial and error and everything of the process is mostly error. I am able to figure out the puzzle eventually, but I would be posting the video on youtube, where I don't get a lot of respect on that website. When Youtube was still a brand new advent, the video uploads were built for laymen like us. Today youtube is business and revenue oriented. Giving laypeople like me no chance of getting views. Most of my videos on Youtube are real Perfect Pitch videos, yet they don't show up on the mainstream search engine if you type "perfect pitch". What you mostly see are clips from the pitch perfect movie, baseball pitching, business and other ridiculous things like that. Youtube doesn't respect my channel to the point that they put my videos on another category, despite placing the appropriate title and tags, giving me no chance to get views...Don't worry, I am like a train, I will just keep going and going. Until youtube places my perfect pitch videos on the right category and search engine, where it should be. FUCK YOUTUBE!!!

Perfect Pitch Update - August 16, 2019 - I am progressing really well with naming harmonic intervals by absolute pitch. A day will come that the 2 note harmonic intervals will turn to 5, 6 ,7, 10 note chords. Would that be considered Perfect Pitch? It should be, what else could it be?

Also the renovation of my room is almost done. I am crossing my fingers that it will be done during this weekend. I mention that because I can finally show how I practice my transcriptions by ear via video screen. Not only that my sister purchased at Amazon an Ipad tripod, so I have Youtube videos of me playing my instruments.

Perfect Pitch Update - I have already amassed 154 chord voicings, 26 harmonic intervals, and 25 single notes by absolute name. I am closing in on my 2019 goal of amassing 200 chord voicings.

Unfortunately, I won't be posting videos of my ear training journals, because I am still saving money for a gaming laptop, so it will take a while.

User Info Menu

I did my research a few years ago, I've current conclusion is, no they don't.

Many confuse a very good sound memory (paired with skilled relative pitch) with absolute pitch. So if one can start Star Wars in the correct pitch, it does not mean she/he have absolute pitch.

Absolute pitch has nothing to do with memory. It's more like as you see colors. Yellow is different as green, you do not have to remember to anything to recognize it (You do not say, that is the same color as my nephew's hat, that was called yellow, so this is yellow, neither do this consciously or inconsciously. Giving a more acoustic example: like you identify vowels. You do not recall anything, do not compare to anything, just hear/feel it.

Babie's brain can process and categorize acoustic signals, and divide the signal to elementary parts (like vowels, and pitches). They do this with every signal. If the baby hears a lot of relatively good musical processable signal (piano, for example) there is a chance they categorizing the 12 pitch, later they learn the 12 name for it. No more no less.

After age 1-2 this window is seems to be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor View Post
    I did my research a few years ago, I've current conclusion is, no they don't.

Many confuse a very good sound memory (paired with skilled relative pitch) with absolute pitch. So if one can start Star Wars in the correct pitch, it does not mean she/he have absolute pitch.

Absolute pitch has nothing to do with memory. It's more like as you see colors. Yellow is different as green, you do not have to remember to anything to recognize it (You do not say, that is the same color as my nephew's hat, that was called yellow, so this is yellow, neither do this consciously or inconsciously. Giving a more acoustic example: like you identify vowels. You do not recall anything, do not compare to anything, just hear/feel it.

Babie's brain can process and categorize acoustic signals, and divide the signal to elementary parts (like vowels, and pitches). They do this with every signal. If the baby hears a lot of relatively good musical processable signal (piano, for example) there is a chance they categorizing the 12 pitch, later they learn the 12 name for it. No more no less.

After age 1-2 this window is seems to be closed.
    I don't know about that. My relative pitch and perfect pitch are separate skills. My native instrument is the piano (I play guitar too, that's why I have an account in this forum) and the point of bringing that up is that I had several incidents where I heard a piano chord on an actual recording by absolute pitch. Sometimes playing the chords/notes of a piece over and over again helps me hear the color of it. Sometimes I start to hear the colors of chords that I transcribe by absolute pitch on the piano. This happens to me a lot that it's already old news.

If you want to know what's my latest "hearing colors" moment. I transcribed a Christian song in the key of F Major and the first chord of the recording is a IIm7 or Gm7 in PP and the voicing is R 7 3 5 3. After I transcribed the chord, months later, recently I am starting to I.D. that particular absolute chord voicing in my Perfect Pitch Practice. I have many more of these stories but too many to write in this post.

Perfect Pitch Update - September 14, 2019 - I have now amassed 158 chord voicings. Closing in to 200. The video below demonstrates my perfect pitch with the voicings 51-65.

Miscellaneous Perfect Pitch Update - September 14, 2019 - Here's me having fun with key recognition. The audio lags at the beginning, but it's okay after that. Enjoy!!!

Relative Pitch Update - September 15, 2019 - I recently discovered how to record the screen on my Ipad. This is one of the apps that I use to train my ear to recognize melodies. Enjoy!!!

User Info Menu

Oh I’ll have to get that one

Perfect Pitch Update - September 18, 2019 - I have amassed 159 chord voicings, closing in on 200. Here's a video of me practicing voicings 51-66.

Perfect Pitch Update - September 19, 2019 - This is my daily progress with Perfect Pitch on the two note harmonic intervals. Later on, this will turn into 3 note harmonic intervals, 4, 5, 7, 10, and so on.

User Info Menu

Interesting, probably irrelevant bit of info I learned in a lecture today:

Absolute pitch
    1 in 10,000 Western World
    1 in 20 people with Autism

It's not well understood, but it may have to do with the way autistic people process sounds - for instance early in life they hear language as musical sound, not sounds with meaning.

Dunno. I have a hunch that it has to do something with the ability of focusing 100% to something and should be available for people who can do that constantly. I mean, sometimes I can get focused like that but only for very very short periods. Then I go "oh man, if I could go on like that for two hours... oh well". But people with autism seem to be the exact opposite, cannot not focus 100%.

I'm not debating here at all. Just a superficial observation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    Dunno. I have a hunch that it has to do something with the ability of focusing 100% to something and should be available for people who can do that constantly. I mean, sometimes I can get focused like that but only for very very short periods. Then I go "oh man, if I could go on like that for two hours... oh well". But people with autism seem to be the exact opposite, cannot not focus 100%.

I'm not debating here at all. Just a superficial observation.
    IIRC this is when they are babies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    IIRC this is when they are babies

Yeah ... apart from this thread there isn't a single case of a non-baby developing perfect pitch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    Yeah ... apart from this thread there isn't a single case of a non-baby developing perfect pitch
    Having spoken to experts on perfect pitch and hearing again and again in lectures and seminars the absolute pitch is something invariably developed in early childhood, that kind of makes me think Bruce Arnold is selling snake oil.

But maybe he isn’t?

Jason has gone out of his way to document his progress, and it would seem like a fairly weird thing to fake. So I’m open.

User Info Menu

You can develop a really good relative pitch. In short term, when you have a reference pitch or tonality in your head, it can be indistinguishable from perfect pitch.
    I think it's just as valuable (if not more) than perfect pitch to develop high level of relative pitch, but it won't refute the claim that adults cannot develop perfect pitch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    You can develop a really good relative pitch. In short term, when you have a reference pitch or tonality in your head, it can be indistinguishable from perfect pitch.
    I think it's just as valuable (if not more) than perfect pitch to develop high level of relative pitch, but it won't refute the claim that adults cannot develop perfect pitch.
    That would always be my priority because I know it’s going to work.

User Info Menu

It is a positive thing to reach for the highest level that we can imagine.
    Whether a final goal is achieved or not, it is likely that improvement will occur.
    Less is likely to occur while focusing on what is impossible.

User Info Menu

I've used various ear training tools in the past. I've been using an app called Functional Ear Trainer in the past year or so. It basically plays a cadence in a key then plays a series of notes for you to identify. You can restrict the notes in the drill. Say first only chord tones, then all scale notes, then add chromatics, only chromatics etc. I can now do 90-100% all 12 notes in the app. Of course I did very badly in the beginning. 10-20mins on you commute or lunch break 3-4 times a week is enough to make progress. My next step is all octaves (currently it's restricted to 1 octave), then different keys. Once you get good add it, you're temporarily perfect pitch after hearing the cadence. You start hearing notes with different color so to speak 2 has a color, 5 has a color, b6 has a color (not literally).
    I doesn't automatically translate to the world outside the app though There is still more work to do, but it's a big step towards that goal. It's useful for those who are less ambitious and just aim for relative pitch.

User Info Menu

I do admire Jason's perseverance. When he says he'll acquire perfect pitch, he is not kidding.

Absolute pitch

It's not well understood, but it may have to do with the way autistic people process sounds - for instance early in life they hear language as musical sound, not sounds with meaning.
    I don't consider myself autistic. But based on my medical records/history, I was diagnosed with a mild form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome. This doesn't mean I am totally autistic, it just means that I'm socially inept. And it is displayed in my current life: no friends, inactive on social media, dead love life, lonely activities - music XD, hanging out at jazzguitar.be XD. However, I don't parade around that I am autistic, because I felt I was misdiagnosed or over-diagnosed. I remember the day I was diagnosed with autism: Given a multiple choice questionnaire - doctor tabulates the answers - voila! I am autistic. I was depressed during that time so that multiple choice questionnaire, I could have answered differently today. Anyways, here's another video of my progress in Perfect Pitch. - September 25, 2019.

Absolute pitch

Additional Information:

I don't consider myself autistic, but my IQ was tested twice when I was around 3 and 12. However, I didn't know of the results until I was already 24. The first one was when I was 3 years old, where the doctor had me to play a group of blocks. The second one was an IQ test in school. The doctor said to my mom, I played the blocks in a symmetrical manner that was not deemed ordinary. The second one: my mom and my home room teacher was called by the principal to talk about my results of the IQ test. According to the results, my spatial reasoning on the test was very, very high that it was already considered as 'genius' level. Those are the two stories in my life I like to throw in there. However, I don't buy in to these two life stories. Up to this day, that "genius" of mine hasn't really came out. But right now, I am refining and developing stuff that I am good at and I'll see where it leads me to.

Ha! Saw a list of 10 symptoms that hint to asperger's. I had 7 of them. But those seven also match to a common selfish jerk.. so.. I might be a regular jerk, not a real genuine autist.

User Info Menu

I think Asperger's was folded into the wider classification of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders) recently, at least in this country (sorry I'm not massively knowledgeable about SEN I'd need to look it up.)

I'm assuming the incidence of perfect pitch data referred to ASD diagnoses in general, but I'd need to chase up the source.

User Info Menu

The ADOS is, I believe, the test most often used by autism specialists. It takes hours to administer and considers a variety of behaviors.

You can google it.

User Info Menu

Asperger's and Autism were originally defined separately. Autism was the name created by the American jerk (I'm American, understand) who defined it rather narrowly and very ... unpleasantly.

Asperger was the German doctor who had defined the condition a year or two earlier, and realized it covered a larger range, not nearly so tightly defined by a very few behaviors.

My daughter and I would traditionally be labeled Asperger's. My youngest son Autistic. When the diagnosis for both came through, Lars was 5, and Anna ... a college graduate going through the psychological counseling required before acceptance into a Lutheran Seminary. She was 16 when Lars was born.

And was diagnosed not that long after Lars' Autism diagnosis. Of course, Anna and I did our normal intensely focused deep dive into "the literature". Especially focused on the books and articles by autistics. And clearly a major component is genetic. Learning a ton more of the range and types of key visible behaviors plus brain ... patterns of use? ... we were able to establish a clear path.

My father, myself, two of my three kids.

I mentioned this a bit later in an IEP meeting with Lars' teachers and support staff who just listened and moved on without comment after looking at each other quickly. I ran into the incredibly good specialist in the store next week, and just asked her how long after meeting me initially it had taken for her to diagnose me as autistic?

"Truthfully?" Yep ...

"About five minutes."

Yea. Looking back my life is a pretty clear "Asperger's" ... mixed blessing.

To me, the most crucial part of Autism is a part of the brain that participates n "normal" interactions subconsciously by analyzing micro movements at the corners of mouth, nose, and eyes; subtle changes in breathing or vocal tension, and perhaps a few other things to apparently provide data on probable "accuracy" or veracity of comments, and probably supply "the real meaning" separate from words used.

Those of us on the spectrum whether called autistic or Aspergers don't have that part functioning. We may or may not share another 20 or so behavioral or personality traits but we ALL share that one debility. And that is a handicap as it goes both ways: we don't evaluate comments from others as they do, and ... as we can't apply the same background processing to our own presence we ... confuse and puzzle others. "Just doesn't feel right somehow".

In reality what is the difference between Asperger's and Autistic?

Exactly the same as being "a little bit pregnant". If you're pregnant you are fully pregnant. But early on, no one can easily see it, hence the old phrase.

I don't share the same impossible to miss stimming motions of Lars. I don't often make the vocal noises he may when stressed. But after you learn what stimming is, and essentially why it occurs, and what purpose it serves, you start realizing that oh my ... you do something more "normal" looking so you don't "look Autistic", but ... you do in essence the exact same thing.

Thankfully there are some amazing things being learned. Actually rather fascinating ... but understand, an ability to hyper-focus is a very common trait. Most normals lose fascination in nearly anything far faster than I will.

And naturally there are some absolute assholes out there. I RARELY use such language in public, but some deserve nothing less.

"Autism Speaks" is a .DESPICABLE. organization. No, they do NOT speak for us, but ... as a condescending bunghole trying to be generous with those poor wretched creatures suffering this horrible condition which they hope can be eliminated from the planet.

"We" have clearly been around a long time. You think all those English folk who spent 5 months collecting beetles in the Amazon, 5 months back in England carefully describing, painting, and cataloging their finds ... 50 years in a row! ... were "normal" people?

Ha.

"Pride and Prejudice" is amazingly dense with a range of autistics, from Mr. Darcy through both the father and mother of the girls to the Parson and his wealthy and overbearing Aunt to the wild daughter and the bookish one.

There's a marvelous book on this by a wonderful Canadian expert on autism.

And yea, I can put all this down faster than probably any of you can read it.

Yup. Hyper focused at times. Occasionally considered single minded. Also capable of running 5 different processes at the same time mentally. But never even close to consideration for ADD/ADHD.

I'm just another autistic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Relative Pitch Update - October 2, 2019 - I have a total of 27 Meludia Melody Journals already. In my 26th attempt, I finally got the coveted 3 stars. I know there's like a 4th star or something, but I am getting better at this app. I haven't peaked yet. I will try to reach my highest potential for this app.

User Info Menu

Thanks for introducing me to Meludia. This is a really nice app!

User Info Menu

Thanks for introducing me to Meludia. This is a really nice app!
    I just downloaded the app as well. It might be the best one I have seen so far.

Perfect Pitch Update - October 10, 2019 - I have already amassed 164 chord voicings. Closing in on 200. I began with only a couple of few ones around late February 2019. People on the internet (not this forum), especially those Perfect Pitch Nazis, scoffed at the idea of a non-absolute adult having consistent success with Perfect Pitch. They were saying along the lines that it will not last and those who claim that an adult have success with Perfect Pitch are liars. Well, he he he, 6 months later in October 2019, I am still going strong. With the help of my jazz piano teacher, she has dumped a truckload of voicings in my notebook, most of them I haven’t used yet for Perfect Pitch. Here’s a couple of videos as evidence that I am being truthful in my progress. And I am publishing my success with Perfect Pitch to the world.

Relative Pitch Update - October 14, 2019 - I got another 3 stars for Meludia Melody. For this app, I am always pushing myself to go beyond my current limits and get even more better. I have always been an advocate for self-improvement especially in music and playing by ear. The only problem is that people around me and the psychiatric people who monitor have this idea that I'm a person with permanent disability. The pros of this title around me is that I get free money from the Canadian government, because they think I am too disabled to be involved with employment, which I use the money to buy my rig, studio equipment, and accessories XD. The cons is that I am treated as a liability and not competent, but this is like my chip on my shoulder. From my guitar practice to everything else, with small accomplishments day by day, I am hoping that I am proving people wrong that even though people think I am disabled, I believe in myself as a high caliber musician and a prolific composer.