The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hey,

I’ve been listening to a lot of Jimmy Raney recently and I want to start transcribing some of his stuff. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a good solo to transcribe to dig into his style a bit.

Any help is much appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anything from the "Live in Tokyo" album.

User Info Menu

for sheer unbridled birdlike bop..which was raneys early specialty

raney's parker 51..with stan getz...title's a nod to bird perhaps, but a common fountain pen of the time

raney burns the solo

cheers

User Info Menu

If I had to choose I'd pick anything from but But Beautiful... and probably would start from taht tune itself.
    Otheres are great too. But this is a stunning record. A masterpiece... I do not remember he had so much lyrical expression on earlier records.

Besides there is a group on this forum that is dedicated to studying his Aebersold collection (solos that Jimmy composed specifically for the purpose and authorized himself, it has backing tracks and his own record of the solos).. you could join it.

User Info Menu

Depending on how advanced you are, Jimmy Raney created a set of solos based on standards for Volume 20 of the Jamey Aebersold Play-a-long series. A group on this forum have been working through those solos now for a couple years. Lots of Raney's distinctive bebop vocabulary and phrasing in those solos, and they're notated (no tab) which makes analysis a little easier. Of course, doing one's own transcriptions is a superb exercise too, but for diving into the pool at a less-deep end, the Aebersold set is very nice. Includes a CD or downloads with the solos, the backing tracks, and of course the book.

User Info Menu

Have you met miss Jones? Is a good one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Anything from the "Live in Tokyo" album.
    Yea, my favorite guitar trio live recordings.

For a start I would recommend Watch What Happens; Why? Well the harmony and song structure is rather basic with a pop type melody, but that makes hearing how Jimmy approaches chorus after chorus special. His lyrical and melodic qualities really shine in such a song. Also his playing on said song illustrates how Jimmy uses 'space' to create interest.

After getting into this song, then move on to something like Anthropology; a bop-based 'riff' tune and how Jimmy approaches such a tune will show one another side of Jimmy.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 12-17-2018 at 09:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iced Tea
    Hey,

I’ve been listening to a lot of Jimmy Raney recently and I want to start transcribing some of his stuff. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a good solo to transcribe to dig into his style a bit.

Any help is much appreciated!
    Start with your favorite solos! You're already doing a lot of listening, start transcribing the things you like best.

I've transcribed a lot of solos, some that I thought I "should", and some that I just loved too much not to learn to play. I've learned way more from the ones I love, they have stuck with me, and taught me things. the ones I thought I "should" learn I've mostly forgotten.

There's a huge amount of value in transcribing things that really strike your fancy, you're developing your taste, figuring out what you like in music, and then figuring out how that works.

With respect to everyone in the thread, I think you're better off just ignoring recommendations and transcribing what you love. If you don't have some solos that you love more than others, spend more time listening.

Thanks for all the replies, advice and suggestions, sorry I've not had a chance to reply sooner!

I wasn't that familiar with Jimmy Raney's later recordings. I had a listen to the Live In Tokyo album and Strings Attached with Al Haig. His playing seems to have taken on a more lyrical quality by that point, less angular than it was in the fifties.

I read an interview with Alan Holdsworth and he mentioned his solo on So In Love as one of his favourites, so I looked that up and it's really nice. Lots of forward motion to the lines and minor ii/V movements so I've started working on that one.

User Info Menu

Body and Soul from his "Visits Paris, Vol 1" album. First song on this link:

and

Stella (same album) - his gloss on the melody is great all by itself:

User Info Menu

His solo on the Ab Billie's Blues with Billie Holiday is one of the greatest blues bop solos ever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    Start with your favorite solos! You're already doing a lot of listening, start transcribing the things you like best.

I've transcribed a lot of solos, some that I thought I "should", and some that I just loved too much not to learn to play. I've learned way more from the ones I love, they have stuck with me, and taught me things. the ones I thought I "should" learn I've mostly forgotten.

There's a huge amount of value in transcribing things that really strike your fancy, you're developing your taste, figuring out what you like in music, and then figuring out how that works.

With respect to everyone in the thread, I think you're better off just ignoring recommendations and transcribing what you love. If you don't have some solos that you love more than others, spend more time listening.
    Concur.

User Info Menu

Billie's Blues is the most bluesy, raucous, no holds bar display of Bird inspired guitar magic to ever be recorded. Every note is perfect. At one point one of the band members (Buddy DeFranco?) laughs with amazement at the virtuosity and perfection he's hearing.

User Info Menu

Can't think of a single one that wouldn't be great.

I'll echo the idea of anything off the "But Beautiful" album, just on the basis of the recording being so clean, and it's a trio date, so Jimmy's really easy to hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lgoler
    Billie's Blues is the most bluesy, raucous, no holds bar display of Bird inspired guitar magic to ever be recorded. Every note is perfect. At one point one of the band members (Buddy DeFranco?) laughs with amazement at the virtuosity and perfection he's hearing.
    That was the amazing thing I noticed when I saw him live; even at a very fast tempo, every note was perfect. It was a two guitar thing with Jack Wilkins and a bass player, and Jack would sound fine, but compared to Raney's playing, there wasn't that feeling of every note being perfect.
    The same thing was true with every two guitar thing he did, except with Jim Hall, but then there wouldn't be the virtuosity thing happening.

User Info Menu

His solo on the Ab Billie's Blues with Billie Holiday is one of the greatest blues bop solos ever!
    What album is this on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What album is this on?
    A bit of searching in google and YouTube suggests it may be this? Raney solos at 5 minutes in.

User Info Menu

I’m doing Autumn Leaves off live in Tokyo at moment.

I like our what are you listening to thread. Given how important transcription is we should have a what are you transcribing thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What album is this on?
    i have it on a Billie Holiday record that is titled exactly that, Billie’s Blues which also features the original recording of Detour Ahead. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Have you read the thesis on Jimmy Raney that lurks in this forum. It is unbelievable. I hope the author was awarded honours.

User Info Menu

Yes it’s great, not only contains a lot of transcriptions but also some interesting details and quotes about his life. Almost a book really.

User Info Menu

+1 on that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo

Stella (same album) - his gloss on the melody is great all by itself:

man, that is a great take. i remember getting the record many moons ago. i started to transcribe jimmy's solo and then got completely addicted to sonny clark's solo. i'm such a huge fan ever since.