Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Functional vs intervallic ear training

I trained my ears over the years to identify intervals both ascending and descending, chord qualities etc. to an OK level. When I transcribe a line without an instrument, I find it quite unnatural and inefficient to go interval by interval though. It's also not very immediate to identify the exact type of the altered note in altered chords (#5, b9 etc.)
    I'm thinking doing more functional ear training from now on. What are your thoughts on the differences between functional vs intervallic ear training.
    Here are some articles about functional (or contextual) ear training. I'm also using a functional ear training app.
    Articles

I didn't read the article. I will say however functional is WAY more important and useful. I used identifying intervals on my music school audition and never used it for anything again. Functional harmony is like set up the key and play a note, then you know if it's do re mi fa sol whatever. You can deal with melodies this way, intervals for melodies sounds like a nightmare
    White belt
    My Youtube

I probably use the same app. Even my daughter likes to "play" it. I am embarrassed that I can't seem to progress much in it, but I have found it very useful in improving my ears.

Earpeggio had a good exercise called "basic melodic dictation." I'd enjoy a more advanced version
    White belt
    My Youtube

I've been using this, but there are obviously others:

Functional Ear Trainer on the App Store

that app looks perfect
    White belt
    My Youtube

I have tried both kinds. But for a while I've been using intervallic approach.. app. Just for curiosity. It's in my page in the signature as "intervalsLive". The idea is simple enough, intervals are simple enough. Yet it took ages to get it "automatic" and I feel it still aint quite there yet. I guess it's one of those things that has to be trained to 105% skill level before it's usable. It does make some difference, can notice that. Yet, functional ear training is always more important imo.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed