Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Attached.

This one is great!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, well done! Big Tubs fan here, since I was a kid - my dad had an album. England's Charlie Parker.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. Tubs was considered to be on the same level as the very best US tenor players by the time of his untimely death.
    He was an excellent vibes player, too.

User Info Menu

hope you can see this in the uk

cheers

Love this one. Burning stuff.

I need to finish it though. Love the cadenza in the end.

User Info Menu

Here’s one of my favourite Tubby Hayes tracks, from his great record ‘Mexican Green’ (the album title being an ‘illicit substance’ reference apparently!)

User Info Menu

A great documentary about Tubby Hayes, 'A Man in a Hurry' came out in 2015 and is well worth your time and money. It's on DVD and digital rental/purchase: A Man In A Hurry

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks for posting the transcription AND the audio! I wasn't familiar with Tubs, but he's got "it" allright!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here’s one of my favourite Tubby Hayes tracks, from his great record ‘Mexican Green’ (the album title being an ‘illicit substance’ reference apparently!)

Tubs went way beyond Mexican Green and got into the hard stuff, which eventually ended his life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Wow! Thanks for posting the transcription AND the audio! I wasn't familiar with Tubs, but he's got "it" allright!

Man. you had to be there, !!
    I saw Tubby and Ronnie pretty much weekly in my youth,
    Jazz at the Flamingo in Wardour Street, and of course the Florida club in Leicester
    Square, where i saw Victor Feldman on Vibes, then Piano and then Drums one
    evening , his rendition of Midnight Sun stunned the audience into silence.
    Then we heard Jimmy Deuchar . Bill Le Sage etc, etc heaven...pure heaven.
    Where the majority of them now are.

User Info Menu

@ full throttle!

cheers

User Info Menu

I cannot help but enthuse over posts relating
    to the Golden Era of British Jazz, highlighting
    the incredidible players of that time, long before
    i owned or could afford an instrument. Musically
    speaking , the most exciting time of my life. Sad
    though that few years later it all petered out with
    the advent of the “beat boom “and the London
    Jazz Clubs were no more .
    Many cherished moments have been evoked here
    so thanks for the memories

User Info Menu

think Tubby was one of the very few or possibly the only British sax player the americans invited to the USA to record..considered on par with there best...british guitarists..not sure . they had plenty time to develop the language..very few could .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    think Tubby was one of the very few or possibly the only British sax player the americans invited to the USA to record..considered on par with there best...british guitarists..not sure . they had plenty time to develop the language..very few could .
    One of the few British jazz guitarists who was able to develop the language back then was Terry Smith. He played and recorded with many of the great jazz artists back then, including Dick Morrissey, Tony Lee, Harry South, Tubby and others. here he is with harry South:

User Info Menu

sgcim
    Great stuff, Terry Smith, an unsung hero too. you probably
    also recall Dave Goldberg .and Cedric West ( my jazz tutor )
    from the era, there were so many good British Jazz ,musicians
    around then,mostly horn players, Eddie Harvey. Bert Courtley
    Kathy Stobart .Ronnie Ross, Don Rendell...ad infinitum

User Info Menu

Very few of Britain's 'bebop inspired' bands of the late 1940s and early 1950s were recorded..Austerity was around and people with money bought american records...nothing on YOU TUBE...the musicians have faded from the memory of many who enjoyed the music live...

User Info Menu

BRITiSH BEBOP...Link

........British bebop...

User Info Menu

for any uk jazz fan that might have missed it, we had a good thread started by rob a few seasons back...went all over the place..but lots of good stuff!

UK's Jazz Guitar Pioneers

there's also a great book called innovations in british jazz 1960-1980 by john wickes...a worthy read..a little later than the era we are discussing, but plenty of good back story information

mel knew!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    for any uk jazz fan that might have missed it, we had a good thread started by rob a few seasons back...went all over the place..but lots of good stuff!

UK's Jazz Guitar Pioneers

there's also a great book called innovations in british jazz 1960-1980 by john wickes...a worthy read..a little later than the era we are discussing, but plenty of good back story information

mel knew!

cheers
    No Cockney chimney sweep? Disappointed