The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hi,

Can you guys recommend what you use for notation software? I'm looking for something that would be good for guitar. I'm not looking for tab. When right something out I just use roman numerals for position and I'll write numbers to indicate fingering. Does anyone make anything like that? Also looking for something to do general writing and arranging for multiple instruments.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by jzgtrguy
    Hi,

Can you guys recommend what you use for notation software? I'm looking for something that would be good for guitar. I'm not looking for tab. When right something out I just use roman numerals for position and I'll write numbers to indicate fingering. Does anyone make anything like that? Also looking for something to do general writing and arranging for multiple instruments.

Thanks!
    Muse score

User Info Menu

Sibelius first

User Info Menu

Sibelius, Finale are the most well known ones. I use Sibelius only cause i happened to get it from a teacher friend early on and have no reason to change. +1 for the Muse score suggested above, it is free, simple, open source and it really does all you usually need for writing charts.. I find the pricing of the others quite unrealistic to be honest

User Info Menu

Can you guys recommend what you use for notation software? I'm looking for something that would be good for guitar. I'm not looking for tab. When right something out I just use roman numerals for position and I'll write numbers to indicate fingering. Does anyone make anything like that?
    In my non-guitar-playing life, I'm a software developer, and I've been working for nearly three years on web-based notation software that was just released in January. It has native support for fingering and Roman numerals.

The best part about it is the built-in audio/video player, optimized for transcribing from YouTube or other existing recordings. It has transcription tools — slowdown, looping, fine-grained seeking — built directly into the notation editor, which makes for a very tight feedback loop when you're trying to figure out a lick.

If you have any questions, suggestions or problems with it, please reach out; I add improvements nearly every day. :-)

Adrian

User Info Menu

I am also a big fan of MuseScore. Free, easy to learn and professional-looking results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh
    In my non-guitar-playing life, I'm a software developer, and I've been working for nearly three years on web-based notation software that was just released in January. It has native support for fingering and Roman numerals.

The best part about it is the built-in audio/video player, optimized for transcribing from YouTube or other existing recordings. It has transcription tools — slowdown, looping, fine-grained seeking — built directly into the notation editor, which makes for a very tight feedback loop when you're trying to figure out a lick.

If you have any questions, suggestions or problems with it, please reach out; I add improvements nearly every day. :-)

Adrian
    That looks very interesting. Most of my notation is done as part of transcription. I'll give it a try. (I use MuseScore, I don't use tab though).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link adrianh! Will definitely check that out!

User Info Menu

Thanks Adrianh for this and much good luck with the project!

I registered. Seems interesting but I don't know how to use it. Do you go to the "slice manager" and click on new slice? How do you transcribe music that might be on youtube or Spotify or from an MP3 file that you have?

User Info Menu

Do you go to the "slice manager" and click on new slice? How do you transcribe music that might be on youtube or Spotify or from an MP3 file that you have?
    That’s exactly right. In the slice manager, click “New slice.” From then, you’ll be able to add a recording (a YouTube video or uploaded MP3, etc.) and notate.

Adrian

User Info Menu

Sibelius, if you can afford it. MuseScore for the rest of us.

$$$

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh

Adrian
    I gave it a try. Seems pretty easy to use. So far I'm liking it.

Anyone have any experience with Staffpad?

User Info Menu

I use Tuxguitar. It doesn't do the roman numbers thing.

User Info Menu

Soundslice is a real PIA on my iPhone! I’m going to transcribe Bird Drib from Bruce Forman’s JY duo. I think I’ll go back to my old slow downer, a pencil and paper

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gunksman
    Soundslice is a real PIA on my iPhone!
    Yeah, I haven't added support for editing notation on touchscreen devices yet. Is that what you were trying to do?

Here's a Bruce Forman transcription I made in Soundslice, by the way. :-)

Adrian

User Info Menu

Exactly! I’ve gone over to my phone as my primary device.
    Nice work on the transcription!

Is there an Android app?