The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I own transcribe software from seventh string for my PC.

Is there an app for iPhone that does something similar? I'd also like to start slowing down YouTube videos.

What do you recommend? Any books or videos to guide a musician on transcribing help that you'd recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's an app called Anytune which I've got on my iPad, slows stuff down.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

You can actually slow down YouTube videos using the settings menu (the cog)

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah. Do a Google search on "YouTube keyboard shortcuts" as well. I printed them out and posted them in my office . You can skip forward and back a few seconds and jump to certain portions of the video, in addition to slowing down, speeding up etc.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-20-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Great tip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Luther
    What do you recommend? Any books or videos to guide a musician on transcribing help that you'd recommend?
    A subject worthy of more discussion than it gets here on the forum.

For starters, I can highly recommend this text from (erstwhile Steely Dan) guitarist, and master transcriber Steve Khan,
    On Transcribing and Transcriptions - Steve Khan

(Steve Khan has written 2 of the best books of transcriptions on the market. The Wes Montgomery Guitar Folio, and Pat Martino:The Early Years.)

User Info Menu

YouTube plays at 50% or 25%, it's under the settings-menu (the little gear or cog-wheel knob).

Very handy!

User Info Menu

What I do quite often is to download the YouTube video, using the videodownloadhelper firefox addon which also provides a way to convert streaming videos into mp4 or other formats.

Then I use transcribe! to remove the unwanted pieces or extract just the part of the video I'm interested in.
    Or even sometimes just keep the audio.

Then transcribe! which is far more powerfull than many, like adding markers for tune sections, measures, add text annotations like chords, or my own notes to the video. This makes my work resilient and able to be split along several days.

I recommend using a USB control pedal along with transcribe! when transcribing or playing with the guitar (see transcribe doc)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've found that Reaper, the low cost shareware DAW, is more useful than any of the dedicated transcribing software I've used. It has fantastic slow-down dsp, and the loop controls are great. I download the track (using Soundflower or some other loopback driver), put it in reaper and then make a slip-cut in the audio that you can just drag around. Then I move the loop point and the cut around, so I can set it to loop the bit I'm trying to memorize, but with the same amount of silence at the end of the loop. So the clip plays, then there's silence while I sing it, repeat ad naseum. You can also set it to just stop at the end of the loop point, and the space bar starts over and over again at your current mark point. You can drop markers in for your sections and get them looping with one click. Reaper's UI is totally customizable so you can set it up to do this really efficiently. And the Demo is uncrippled, and the full license is only $40.

On ipad I like Mimi Copy the best, but not near as much as using Reaper.

HTH!

The Audipo app is to Transcribe! what iReal is to band-in-a-box. Not as robust, but it works on android. Slowdown, change pitch , add markers, loop etc. etc. Free version works really well.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-16-2017 at 07:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Even on mobile?

User Info Menu

I tried audipo on my Android Samsung S5 as well as Amazing Slow Downer (ASD)

Goal was to be able to slow down and run loops on the quality playalong mp3 I load on my S5, in order to practice wherever I happen to be using a small headset and an acoustic guitar.

Conclusion: I found out that the audio quality of the slowed down mp3 was much better using ASD vs using audipo.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Even on mobile?
    I don't think so. Would be killer...

User Info Menu

I use Audacity for slowing down faster phrases when neccessary.

Then I rip yt videos to mp3 and put it in my DAW (Logic) for transcribing and scoring/tabbing.