Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 54 of 54
  1. I found for kids is the best bet so far writing notes on whiteboard - use one that has a staff on it.
    There is plenty you can do like that and it's gonna be the least overwhelming exercises from my experience.

I start asking them to draw something with notes first - using their own reference notes from their paper.
    It doesn't work really for the other way, it's just a game to get them used with the written down notes with tab numbers.

Then I write notes one by one first and clean it up quickly when the nail it. I try to add 2-3 new notes each lesson, not gonna try and teach them all in one sitting. Then 2 notes, then 3. Then a good exercise is to ask them to first think where those 3 notes are on guitar, then try to play real fast. Its a very effective exercise and they do seem to ejnoy this somewhat.

Then I start writing very short tunes on the whiteboard and ask them if they have already heard this tune somewhere. Usually not though But yeah.

And currently I'm putting together a massive easy tune-reading book. Each tune maybe 8 bars. Same tune twice - in 2 octaves. And 7 booklets with the same tunes in 7 keys. I haven't completed the books it but seems a very good idea... I hope to get it ready very soon and see if they like it

This was for very young kids. Believe it or not, older students actually like to run through my old note reading app(look my signature down there.). They just want to get over with getting them notes in their head and like the speed of that method. Even the lazy ones weirdly.
    Last edited by emanresu; 03-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

3. Quote Originally Posted by asafasadi View Post
    I'm teaching guitar to a nine year old girl. She's very musical and she's starting to have some skills on guitar, but she struggles with the reading part.
    Don't
    worry. I have 2 new students this year(music school), one is quite fast in learning the notes but with little sense of rhythm, the other is very slow learning notes but when he gets the song.. guess who wins the match?

I'm worried that the first one will quit at some point later. But not the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by asafasadi View Post
    hello there,
    I'm teaching guitar to a nine year old girl. She's very musical and she's starting to have some skills on guitar, but she struggles with the reading part. I made her do some transcriptions of simple lines on C major scales and she plays them, but she cannot write them
    I'm thinking that as long as she's reading the notes and playing the songs, that should be enough for both of you. There are no two 9 year old kids that are the same. As she gets better maybe her interest will grow and she may be able to take on transcribing. Also, she may have a slight learning disability like dyslexia or ADHD, so you may want to take that into consideration. Lastly, if it's frustrating to you, it's probably frustrating to her as well and I know you don't want to lose a student over this. I would back off as far as the transcribing goes and approach it later date.

5. I have an older student who has been struggling with reading and theory. Now its 5th grade for her in music school. I was very worried that she might stop at some point. So I asked only 1 challenging piece and 2 that didn't take too much effort and be able to enjoy playing them quickly each test-concert. That seems to work so far. Except sometimes I still get it wrong what might be easy/difficult for her. As fathand said, they are all so damn different. Can't give any advice and claim it's the best one ever in the forums

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed