Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asafasadi View Post
    I'm teaching guitar to a nine year old girl. She's very musical and she's starting to have some skills on guitar, but she struggles with the reading part.
    Don't
    worry. I have 2 new students this year(music school), one is quite fast in learning the notes but with little sense of rhythm, the other is very slow learning notes but when he gets the song.. guess who wins the match?

I'm worried that the first one will quit at some point later. But not the second one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asafasadi View Post
    hello there,
    I'm teaching guitar to a nine year old girl. She's very musical and she's starting to have some skills on guitar, but she struggles with the reading part. I made her do some transcriptions of simple lines on C major scales and she plays them, but she cannot write them
    I'm thinking that as long as she's reading the notes and playing the songs, that should be enough for both of you. There are no two 9 year old kids that are the same. As she gets better maybe her interest will grow and she may be able to take on transcribing. Also, she may have a slight learning disability like dyslexia or ADHD, so you may want to take that into consideration. Lastly, if it's frustrating to you, it's probably frustrating to her as well and I know you don't want to lose a student over this. I would back off as far as the transcribing goes and approach it later date.

User Info Menu

I have an older student who has been struggling with reading and theory. Now its 5th grade for her in music school. I was very worried that she might stop at some point. So I asked only 1 challenging piece and 2 that didn't take too much effort and be able to enjoy playing them quickly each test-concert. That seems to work so far. Except sometimes I still get it wrong what might be easy/difficult for her. As fathand said, they are all so damn different. Can't give any advice and claim it's the best one ever in the forums