The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm a student of jazz guitar and I like that you recommended me some guitar solos to ear and transcribe. Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Who do you like?

To find out why you like them, transcribe them.

That's how it works.

I'm new in this world of jazz and I do not know many guitarists. I would like to transcribe guitar solos of classic jazz. But not where to start. can you recommend me some? Thank's.

User Info Menu

I think you are really asking about some important jazz guitarists to listen to. By your reference to classic jazz, I think you would want to listen to many of the people listed all over this site: Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Grant Green, Herb Ellis, Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Kenny Burrell, the list goes on and on. More modern players are Pat Martino, Pat Metheny, John Scofield, etc, etc..

User Info Menu

It's been my experience that it's sometimes easier to transcribe horn solos than guitar solos. They're usually a lot slower, so you can tell what notes are being played. If you're just starting out, try some Miles Davis (like some of the stuff on Kind of Blue).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cool man
    i have checked it’s really great
    You forgot to include your URL, you feckless crapweasel.

User Info Menu

stuff that's not too terrible to transcribe

guitarists:

grant green
    jimmy raney
    jim hall (single note stuff)

sax:

paul desmond
    hank mobley
    lester young

horn:

chet
    miles

this is a short short list that'll get you started...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    You forgot to include your URL, you feckless crapweasel.
    What the heck is a feckless crapweasel? I assume it is not a complimentary thing to call someone. Did I miss something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    What the heck is a feckless crapweasel? I assume it is not a complimentary thing to call someone. Did I miss something?
    Look at CoolMan's other post. He's just a spammer, and not a very competent one. He posted the same generic message in two unrelated threads.

User Info Menu

LOL. I'm sure you meant "Feckless crapweasel" in the most positive light.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Look at CoolMan's other post. He's just a spammer, and not a very competent one. He posted the same generic message in two unrelated threads.

Okie Dokie, sorry. However, this is a new insult for me. Any ideas about it's origin or what exactly it is? Are there common crapweasels, or do they all come feckless?

I just want to make sure when I pull it out on some unsuspecting buddy of mine I don't start a fight.

User Info Menu

I see it used often on another forum I read (Java programming): New To Java - What is the compiler for JAVA

The terms "feckless crapweasel" and "pedantic ball-sniffer" get mixed and matched there. That's how you know you're in the presence of professional software developers.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 08-11-2009 at 06:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Well "feckless" means worthless. And although a weasel pelt has value, perhaps those of crapweasels are less desirable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesguy
    Well "feckless" means worthless. And although a weasel pelt has value, perhaps those of crapweasels are less desirable.
    Tough to get rid of the smell I suppose.

User Info Menu

Transcribing can be pretty difficult. If you are a beginner, I'd recommend transcribing melodies of your favorite players first. Get a licks books, and learn licks that way, and once you have developed more of a sense of the jazz language transcribing will become much easier. There are some very useful transcribing software tools out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhas
    Hi,

I'm a student of jazz guitar and I like that you recommended me some guitar solos to ear and transcribe. Thank you.
    I would tailor your transcriptions around the tunes you are working on.

So if you are learning "All The Things You Are" then transcribe a solo for that. Then you can put it to use.

It doesn't have to be a guitar solo. You could transcribe a saxophone solo too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    I would tailor your transcriptions around the tunes you are working on.

So if you are learning "All The Things You Are" then transcribe a solo for that. Then you can put it to use.

It doesn't have to be a guitar solo. You could transcribe a saxophone solo too.

Example:

Solo at 1:51
    +1 When I'm working on a tune I get lots of versions by assorted artists on different instruments and download YouTubes and emerge myself in the tune. Some I will transcribe parts, others I will emulate what I hear, some I just listen to. I have made CD with a dozen versions of a tune and listen to it driving or in background at work so subconsciously I'm absorbing the tune.

Also don't just learn the solo learn the heads by different artists a lot can be learn about phrasing in how they all play heads differently.