The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 95 of 95

User Info Menu

Yea transcribing is somewhat a student requirement, right. If you can't hear what's going on, you either need to try and figure it out yourself or get help etc...

When I was young... there was no help, you did most things yourself.

So if you can't hear the music... you need to slow things down. Somewhat make it fit into your vocabulary, for the time and then... hey maybe you'll actually expand that vocab.

Eventually... you can hear and maybe even understand... really, the understanding thing doesn't keep you from becoming great player. I still write out new charts every week for many of my gigs. Quick lead sheets of tunes. There weren't always fake books...Really, the other thing... being able to sight read works just as well as trying to memorize every tune.

So after a while, that time is different for everyone, anyway you quite stealing licks, you appreciate someones playing, maybe hear a different approach... somewhat like using different subs etc...

So that is the reason why you transcribe... to open your ears and head to hear and see what's going on. If your just stealing solos and performing them, your somewhat missing the boat. Not many jazz players take the same solo when playing tunes... maybe same approach, but generally different result. That would be more in the Show style of performance.

I read earlier some comments about Mark Levine's jazz theory book...Hey I've known and performed with Mark for years, he is a great musician, educator and... can cover...and if you don't get it... it's your loss. The book if full of useful info.

Just like transcribing... the theory aspect helps you understand what you learn to hear, and even more important... you can repeat what you play is different settings.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just a general heads up that I will note in another thread, assuming someone has not already posted.

Just got back from the library where I was reading the June issue of Downbeat, still the best jazz mag in my book. There is a great article on Peter Bernstein. Good read. Recommended.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    really, the understanding thing doesn't keep you from becoming great player.
    Nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea transcribing is somewhat a student requirement, right. If you can't hear what's going on, you either need to try and figure it out yourself or get help etc...

When I was young... there was no help, you did most things yourself.

So if you can't hear the music... you need to slow things down. Somewhat make it fit into your vocabulary, for the time and then... hey maybe you'll actually expand that vocab.

Eventually... you can hear and maybe even understand... really, the understanding thing doesn't keep you from becoming great player. I still write out new charts every week for many of my gigs. Quick lead sheets of tunes. There weren't always fake books...Really, the other thing... being able to sight read works just as well as trying to memorize every tune.

So after a while, that time is different for everyone, anyway you quite stealing licks, you appreciate someones playing, maybe hear a different approach... somewhat like using different subs etc...

So that is the reason why you transcribe... to open your ears and head to hear and see what's going on. If your just stealing solos and performing them, your somewhat missing the boat. Not many jazz players take the same solo when playing tunes... maybe same approach, but generally different result. That would be more in the Show style of performance.

I read earlier some comments about Mark Levine's jazz theory book...Hey I've known and performed with Mark for years, he is a great musician, educator and... can cover...and if you don't get it... it's your loss. The book if full of useful info.

Just like transcribing... the theory aspect helps you understand what you learn to hear, and even more important... you can repeat what you play is different settings.
    I posted a long thing here before deleting. TBH I think discussing these things online beyond outlining one's thoughts is a waste of time and energy. I'm not going to change anyone's world view, and that's fair enough.

Although I will say, my not liking of the book is nothing to do with not understanding it, or feeling that Levine is in any way other than a great player, educator and probably a good bloke too, etc.

But what I think is not terribly important. Unless someone solicits my opinion for money. :-)

It's good to learn lots of stuff. The stuff that you find useful will stick. Read the Levine book but above all use your ears. I disagree with it only because I read it and then found it didn't seem to describe what I was hearing. Others (such as Reg, perhaps) wil disagree. Music isn't a science, rocket or otherwise :-)
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-24-2016 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Just watching youtube Gilad Hekselman"s Verona. Someone asked I started playing jazz and want to play like that, what do I do?

Gilad kindly responded "Transcribe, a lot".

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Dana, you definitely make me hungry for some rhythm changes. One chorus of Lester Young coming up soon!

I have to admit that this one took me 2-3 weeks and I still need to work on it. Sheez music can be tough sometimes

User Info Menu

Dana good work on both choruses. You nailed it.

How long did it take you to transcribe both choruses?

User Info Menu

Just transcribed and notated the whole solo of Herb Ellis on Sweetheart Blues from "Ellis In Wonderland" today. Looking forward to breaking this apart and analyzing it and isolating some of the lines. In the beginning anyways, he is using F major pentatonic/blues over a blues in F-I caught onto that as I was transcribing it. There's a few arpeggios and a really nice slidey chromatic line that I might nick off of here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor2714
    Just transcribed and notated the whole solo of Herb Ellis on Sweetheart Blues from "Ellis In Wonderland" today. Looking forward to breaking this apart and analyzing it and isolating some of the lines. In the beginning anyways, he is using F major pentatonic/blues over a blues in F-I caught onto that as I was transcribing it. There's a few arpeggios and a really nice slidey chromatic line that I might nick off of here.
    Nice! We're on a traditional roll ATM! So much to gain from so called "simplicity"!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    Did a chorus of Lester Young. Sorry for all the "self-promotion", whatever videos (It's not self-promotion if they're not good though )

When Lester plays it it sounds juicy, sexy almost vulgar - wow
    Awesome yaclaus! I could listen to Lester for days.......

User Info Menu

Nobody's ever learned to play jazz from a book.

There, I said it. Nobody.

User Info Menu

All of my teachers are telling that the only way to learn how to improvise is to listen to jazz, transcribing it, writing it down, making an analization of it, and making that line yours to use it in musical situations.

My opinion about this is that if we observe the nature itself, we can find out that every learning process in the world goes through by observing. The baby is observing to his/her parents and after a while he/she begins speaking.
    Talking about music the cave man in the prehistorical period observed the birds's singing, the foot stomp of the elephants, sounding his bow, etc... and the first instruments were born (flutes, drums, string instruments).
    How else could we "absorb" anything we like if not this way?! This is the "natural" mode of learning, and I like this, I am learning much more from this than anyhting before doing/hearing/writing/analysing the solos of others...

Just my 2 cents...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    All of my teachers are telling that the only way to learn how to improvise is to listen to jazz, transcribing it, writing it down, making an analization of it, and making that line yours to use it in musical situations.

My opinion about this is that if we observe the nature itself, we can find out that every learning process in the world goes through by observing. The baby is observing to his/her parents and after a while he/she begins speaking.
    Talking about music the cave man in the prehistorical period observed the birds's singing, the foot stomp of the elephants, sounding his bow, etc... and the first instruments were born (flutes, drums, string instruments).
    How else could we "absorb" anything we like if not this way?! This is the "natural" mode of learning, and I like this, I am learning much more from this than anyhting before doing/hearing/writing/analysing the solos of others...

Just my 2 cents...
    Exactly. You become what you surround yourself with.

Even if you dont write it down or analyze it, transcribing really sharpens ones ear and playing along with the recordings or even just playing the lines by yourself will do wonders for your technique.

User Info Menu

Several posts have been deleted from this thread. (Some because they contained quotes of deleted posts.)

This thread is about transcribing and sharing one's transcriptions (and commenting on the transcriptions other have shared).

It is NOT the place to dispute whether transcription is helpful. Those who wish to do that are free to start a thread called "Transcription is a waste of time" (or "Transcription is overrated.") Have at it. But you can't turn THIS thread into THAT one because you have nothing to contribute to this one.

And those who overreacted to the off-topic posts, well, that's not helping.

Carry on!

User Info Menu

There are pedagogy, andragogy, sytematic aproach, trial and error, music schools, gigs, professionalism, amateurism, hobbies, jobs ...

If you are a kid who showed some talent in music, ie. ability to sing back music "by ear", ie. transcribe, likely you will go to music school, where they will teach you to do so on an instrument, presented in systematic manner. Basics, theory, concepts, technique, ear training ... schemes, cliches ... important examples ... from simpler to harder ... so after a while you will come out of school trained in your job, which is to play, improvise and transcribe.

On the other hand, you can hack your way through, using your natural abilities and limited set of skills to learn from experience, move into directions, acquire new skills along the way and proceed further .

Guess that is what Jonzo is talking about.

User Info Menu

Yesterday was Herb Ellis, today Im working on Kenny Burrell's solo from "Dear Old Stockholm" found on Paul Chambers' album "Bass On Top" from 1956.

What I've been doing lately is I play through the whole solo with the record, write it down in notation, then start going phrase by phrase until I find something challenging or interesting, analyze what is happening in relation to the chords then I put it in my lick book and drill it in all keys with a metronome and also play it over blues changes or whatever tune I'm working on.

During my morning practice I go through all of my backlog of licks from transcriptions, sometimes repeating them ad nauseum in different keys or sometimes I'll add stuff to them or change them slightly off the top of my head. I'll spend more time on the phrases I am not totally comfortable with.

User Info Menu

I would shy away a little bit from fetishising playing solos perfectly with the record (although enjoyed doing it that one time, and it can be a great thing to watch and listen to) simply because I know some great pro players who say they never bothered to learn solos all the way through...

In the words of the great Dave Cliff though, 'you need to use your lugs (ears.)'

I think as long as you get you ears into the picture, and listen to music in an active, focussed way, the exact methodology is not so important. I've found my ability to cop licks and melodies by ear has improved a lot since I've been working regularly on relative pitch ear training exercises. But you could hone your ear purely by listening to and copying music.

Basically - to everyone who posted here, well done. Do what interests you. Here's my offering, posted it a while back... Doesn't play everywhere...

Last edited by christianm77; 06-05-2016 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Well,Jerry Bergonzi quote Hal Crook in his book.

I,ve have a friend who is theacher and study jerry bergonzi books...

Nobody learn to play jazz with books,that,s ok,but nobody learn music in general with books but there is a lot of clones in music thanks to tanscription..

I Know them,3 teachers...

Books,are perfect for who like study...

My brother is teacher but not in music,and he studied with teachers and books.

A lot of people,a lot of teachers they give pages of books in their clasroom and them said the same of your post,transcription,

I am not very avanced.I think I am a begginer seriously,but I Know teachers,and very good musicians that never learn wtih books,and know them,but always learn with teachers,and I am not talking of a jazz musician...

I am talking about a musician very dificult to meet...
    thear are books very good,and in music,not only is jazz jazz and jazz...

It,s ok that the forum is jazz guitar but all jazzmen,interest for other styles as many musicians...

Charly bird play samba,classical,flamenco,study with the roots,thats the point,the roots.

Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by Stangetz; 06-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

todays practise...Wes 4 0n 6 ,Gone with the wind Wes and zoot sims transcriptions...bernies tune wardell grey transcription...angel eyes pat metheny transcription..a foggy day sonny stitt transcription..how high the moon sonny again..is Mount Everest being conquered...im just having fun..serious fun
    Last edited by voxss; 06-14-2016 at 02:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been working on the Hot House head for a quite a while. Straight away allow me to confess that this is not a pure transcription. The recording quality on the versions I reference isn't the best quality, so I had to cheat in a couple of spots. So this is a mix and match of both a Tadd Dameron version and the version recorded by "The Quintet" at Massey Hall, with a dash of Real Book to help me in the trouble spots. I am at the point now where I'm trying to improve articulation, timing, and of course, getting it up to a faster tempo!

Last edited by wzpgsr; 06-27-2016 at 09:45 AM.