The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

hmmm....I wonder if the kid had tinnitus would he hear it in perfect pitch? And would it drive him nuts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    So what? It is about as useful to being a musician as the ability to identify colour according to the Munsell Colour System to being an artist or scoring a high Stanford-Binet IQ to being a mathematician.

One does not lead to the other as a natural consequence. A parlour trick and no more than that.

I'm not impressed. Nothing against the kid however. Putting it in perspective. Oh well, he could possibly be a great piano tuner. And have a big problem playing the guitar.
    There was a guy I know who once said that NOT having this gift and playing music is like a blind person painting. The inference being that a true musician hears this well, without tricks or even trying.

While there are a lot of us "blind painters" out there ( and some of us get pretty good ) I often wonder if he's right .....

User Info Menu

How or why anyone could go to an internet forum and be dismissive of a child's gift, to the point of ridicule, is beyond me.

Sometimes it's simply better to keep ones trap shut rather than offer an "opinion", lest one outs themselves as ignorant or foolish

Dylan seems like a great kid! His dad Rick is a musician, professor, producer, etc

as an infant Dylan viewed and listened to Wes (2:53 on video clip) - An influence?

Speaking of "blind painters."

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 12-25-2015 at 07:09 PM.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    How or why anyone could go to an internet forum and be dismissive of a child's gift, to the point of ridicule, is beyond me.
    I think that without patience, focus and restraint, participating in internet forum discussion is a waste of (precious) time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Sometimes it's simply better to keep ones trap shut rather than offer an "opinion", lest one outs themselves as ignorant or foolish
    Provided what one says is true or supportable, I'm not sure that 'outing oneself as ignorant or foolish' matters at all.

I'm here to learn; I'm in favour of encouraging articulation where there is divergence of understanding - as long as challenges or criticism are directed at ideas - not at individuals.

Re. ear training, this highly effective exercise involves exposing not the recognition of notes/pitches but where this is lacking or undeveloped:
    "I-IV-V-I Cadence in C followed by x number of pitches/Pencil exercise
    What Banacos called the Pencil exercise serves to develop a strong relative pitch.
    It can be practiced alone or in pairs. For practice in pairs, one person plays a I-IV-V-I
    cadence in C major on the piano followed by a single note, while the other person
    attempts to identify that note as quickly as possible. Once proficiency in identifying a
    single note is achieved, the exercise progresses to identification of two notes played
    simultaneously. Eventually the exercise extends up to eleven notes played
    simultaneously. At the stage of eleven notes, identification of the missing note is
    expected instead of naming each one of them. For solo practice, this exercise can be
    performed in two basic ways. First, play the cadence on the piano, turn one’s back to the
    keyboard, and reach behind to strike one or two keys with the eraser ends of one or two
    pencils. Second, make several recordings playing long series of cadences and notes,
    saying the answers a few seconds after each example. Then, playback the recording,
    guess for the right notes and confirm when hearing the answer. It is best to avoid singing
    the note C or any other notes after hearing them, but rather to identify and name each
    note instantly without measuring the intervals.
    Banacos emphasized the importance of recognizing notes by reacting immediately
    from a Zen-like perspective of non-thinking. Putting the advice in his own words: “Go
    for speed, not correctness” “Zen mind, intuitive mind” “Strike, guess, look, repeat.” For
    him the purpose of this exercise was to aim for recognition of an entire set of notes as one
    ‘color’ as opposed to hearing separate individual entities. He considered the successful
    identification of six notes or more a professional level.
    Banacos would administer this exercise by playing the cadence in C and varying
    the dynamics, tempo, and character, to keep one alert. Several students reported that after
    practicing this exercise they experienced a tremendous improvement in the ability to
    recognize sound colors. In live jazz sessions or performances, they started responding
    quickly and interacting with their band-mates by relying more on attentive and deep
    listening.
    The following instruction was given specifically to saxophonist Sean Berry and
    pianist Tom Thorndike for the purpose of putting individual pitches in a diatonic context
    by assigning numbers to each one in relation to a key center. After naming every single
    note, they had to select one of the notes and consider it the root of a chord and relate all
    of the remaining notes to it explaining what extensions or chord tones they were. For
    example, hearing the set of notes Eb, G, C#, F, B, and A# simultaneously, these students
    had to name all the notes, select one of them as root (G for example), and name this set of
    pitches as a G7 (#9,#11,b13) harmonic color.
    Banacos used a metaphor to describe for bassist Ervin Dhimo the goal in this
    exercise. He said, “When you hear the voice of your father, you don’t take a moment to
    think whose voice it is; you immediately recognize your father’s voice and, in a split
    second, you say: It’s my father.”31 One should learn to recognize notes and sound colors
    in the same way."
    from http://www.charliebanacos.com/Kordis...ation_2012.pdf

User Info Menu

Wait, wait, wait...

Guys... I researched this phenomena through my studies of neuroscience and how it relates to education (I take everything I do a little... too seriously. I read a lot )

There are five popular myths in neuroscience:

1. "The Mozart Effect"

2. "The Water Bottle Effect"

3. Sleep studying

4. "Girls Aren't Good At Math"

5. "Left-sided Versus Right-sided Thinkers"

Look them up. Yes, the brain is wired for music and language acquisition at a young age due to neuro-plasticity. But, the problem with pop neuroscience and pop psychology is that people take something that is new and barely tested and trump it as the cure all for everything.

That's just salesmanship and big business at its best.

Read from the source, not from the ad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I think that without patience, focus and restraint, participating in internet forum discussion is a waste of (precious) time.

Provided what one says is true or supportable, I'm not sure that 'outing oneself as ignorant or foolish' matters at all.

I'm here to learn; I'm in favour of encouraging articulation where there is divergence of understanding - as long as challenges or criticism are directed at ideas - not at individuals.

Re. ear training, this highly effective exercise involves exposing not the recognition of notes/pitches but where this is lacking or undeveloped:
    "I-IV-V-I Cadence in C followed by x number of pitches/Pencil exercise
    What Banacos called the Pencil exercise serves to develop a strong relative pitch.
    It can be practiced alone or in pairs. For practice in pairs, one person plays a I-IV-V-I
    cadence in C major on the piano followed by a single note, while the other person
    attempts to identify that note as quickly as possible. Once proficiency in identifying a
    single note is achieved, the exercise progresses to identification of two notes played
    simultaneously. Eventually the exercise extends up to eleven notes played
    simultaneously. At the stage of eleven notes, identification of the missing note is
    expected instead of naming each one of them. For solo practice, this exercise can be
    performed in two basic ways. First, play the cadence on the piano, turn one’s back to the
    keyboard, and reach behind to strike one or two keys with the eraser ends of one or two
    pencils. Second, make several recordings playing long series of cadences and notes,
    saying the answers a few seconds after each example. Then, playback the recording,
    guess for the right notes and confirm when hearing the answer. It is best to avoid singing
    the note C or any other notes after hearing them, but rather to identify and name each
    note instantly without measuring the intervals.
    Banacos emphasized the importance of recognizing notes by reacting immediately
    from a Zen-like perspective of non-thinking. Putting the advice in his own words: “Go
    for speed, not correctness” “Zen mind, intuitive mind” “Strike, guess, look, repeat.” For
    him the purpose of this exercise was to aim for recognition of an entire set of notes as one
    ‘color’ as opposed to hearing separate individual entities. He considered the successful
    identification of six notes or more a professional level.
    Banacos would administer this exercise by playing the cadence in C and varying
    the dynamics, tempo, and character, to keep one alert. Several students reported that after
    practicing this exercise they experienced a tremendous improvement in the ability to
    recognize sound colors. In live jazz sessions or performances, they started responding
    quickly and interacting with their band-mates by relying more on attentive and deep
    listening.
    The following instruction was given specifically to saxophonist Sean Berry and
    pianist Tom Thorndike for the purpose of putting individual pitches in a diatonic context
    by assigning numbers to each one in relation to a key center. After naming every single
    note, they had to select one of the notes and consider it the root of a chord and relate all
    of the remaining notes to it explaining what extensions or chord tones they were. For
    example, hearing the set of notes Eb, G, C#, F, B, and A# simultaneously, these students
    had to name all the notes, select one of them as root (G for example), and name this set of
    pitches as a G7 (#9,#11,b13) harmonic color.
    Banacos used a metaphor to describe for bassist Ervin Dhimo the goal in this
    exercise. He said, “When you hear the voice of your father, you don’t take a moment to
    think whose voice it is; you immediately recognize your father’s voice and, in a split
    second, you say: It’s my father.”31 One should learn to recognize notes and sound colors
    in the same way."
    from http://www.charliebanacos.com/Kordis...ation_2012.pdf
    Bruce Arnold teaches the Charlie Banaco's method quite brilliantly. This is exactly how I study ear training. I am up to two notes at once and hope to get to three notes by the end of the summer. It's a long journey, but an incredibly fruitful one!

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Bruce Arnold teaches the Charlie Banaco's method quite brilliantly. This is exactly how I study ear training. I am up to two notes at once and hope to get to three notes by the end of the summer. It's a long journey, but an incredibly fruitful one!
    And if you hadn't championed that particular cause, I don't think I'd ever have got it. I'd been going about this in an overly-complicated way until you clued me in - thank you!

destinytot Guest
    This becomes a realistic goal:
    Once proficiency in identifying a single note is achieved, the exercise progresses to identification of two notes played simultaneously. Eventually the exercise extends up to eleven notes played simultaneously. At the stage of eleven notes, identification of the missing note is expected instead of naming each one of them.