The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 250

User Info Menu

Hell yeah, lets.

Back in the day, when i was a teenager, before i had status and before i had a pager, you could find the abstract, listening to hip hop, my pops used to say it reminded him of bebop...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Tribe!

I said, well daddy don't you know that things go in cycles

Words of wisdom just in the first few minutes of that cut!
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-08-2015 at 09:54 PM.

A preview of up coming entries on the journal

1. taking a contemporary hip hop song and reducing it to it's rhythmic phrasing. Titled: What can jazz musicians learn from hip hop?

2. Giant Steps in one key: jazz, tonicization, and the myth of modulation pod cast

3. Being honest with ear training: how to guard against "faking it" with musicianship studies

4. Musical journeys, musical origins: finding the folk song within the jazz tune

Any other ideas are welcome, but these are some topics I want to cover next.
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-08-2015 at 10:43 PM.

This sounds like Art Blakey... whoa! Like not even a slight parallel. This sounds exactly like something Blakey would play. I love tracing these parallels. This is what makes jazz exciting for me, finding the source material.

Do y'all hear it?

User Info Menu

Irez,

Again this is life changing stuff I cannot Thank you enough!

Question: I've already bought one note, hearing bass lines, big metronome, and contextual, what are your thoughts on the perfect pitch course?

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    A preview of up coming entries on the journal

1. taking a contemporary hip hop song and reducing it to it's rhythmic phrasing. Titled: What can jazz musicians learn from hip hop?

2. Giant Steps in one key: jazz, tonicization, and the myth of modulation pod cast

3. Being honest with ear training: how to guard against "faking it" with musicianship studies

4. Musical journeys, musical origins: finding the folk song within the jazz tune

Any other ideas are welcome, but these are some topics I want to cover next.
    Looking forward to it (but louder, please!). This thread is inspired and inspiring, by the way - THANK YOU!

User Info Menu

For me, it means practicing Giant Steps in the Key of B
    with B being my drone or pedal point for reference.
    Why the key of B?
    In some ways, there is an equivalency between B, Eb and G
    although the song ends on Eb.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hell yeah, lets.

Back in the day, when i was a teenager, before i had status and before i had a pager, you could find the abstract, listening to hip hop, my pops used to say it reminded him of bebop...
    I really like Pharaoh Monche. His phrasing is awesome.

bako, I have a long 3-day weekend ahead of me. I promise to devote one of those days to properly, with the tech I have at my disposal, record a pod cast fully explaining the concept of hearing Giant Steps in one key. I know that talk is cheap, so I will sing some examples (or try to sing) as well to illustrate the concept.

55bar, to address your statement:

Question: I've already bought one note, hearing bass lines, big metronome, and contextual, what are your thoughts on the perfect pitch course?

I am not calling you out, this is from a good place. Don't bite off more than you can chew. You are not ready for the hearing bass lines course yet. And the perfect pitch course... I never used it. But, it is a completely different concept and process.

Me saying "you are not ready" sounds belittling and egotistical. I'm not about that, not in my playing, not in the way I carry myself. As a teacher (SPED) I can tell you right now, you are not ready for the bass lines course.

Why?

Because the hearing bass lines course is dependent on a different set of prerequisites. You need to look at each of Bruce's courses as courses that you would take in college. You can't go straight to Calculus without taking pre Cal or testing out of it. Same with the ear training.

Here's the distinction. Bruce makes practicing the material easier, since you can listen on your ipod or whatever. HOWEVER, his courses are not a "quick fix". I really stress the point that it took me six years to get to where I am with my ear training. I am just beginning to hear those basslines, and not even as accurately as I should.

Some points about hearing bass lines:

1. The register is quite low. You need to hear notes in "normal" registers first. If you play bass, you might already have an ear for this. However, the bass lines are not the right place to start.

2. You are hearing more than one note in a row (four notes) against a key.

3. You are hearing compound jumps (13s, 15s, 9s)

4. The cadence does not carry over into the melodic material. It ends and the line begins.

And that's just the start

1. The register is quite low. You need to hear notes in "normal" registers first. If you play bass, you might already have an ear for this. However, the bass lines are not the right place to start.

2. You are hearing more than one note in a row (four notes) against a key. You need to master the one note to the point where you can do the advanced level without thinking at the speed of light... or whatever This means NO CRUTCHES, no remembering melodies, no depending on resolution tendencies.

3. You are hearing compound jumps (13s, 15s, 9s). This is where interval ear training starts to fall apart, unfortunately. You need to hear the sound of the note against the key. DO NOT relate the notes to each other.

4. The cadence does not carry over into the melodic material. It ends and the line begins. This is the hardest part, believe it or not. You have to develop your ability to hold on to a key center without modulating. Remember, all of those bass lines are in Cmajor.

I wish Bruce made ordering the physical copies of his courses easier and cheaper. I will talk to him about that. I am not saying anything on this thread that isn't in the answers to the FAQs he includes in the book version of the courses. He has the same FAQs in the electronic versions, but I (can't speak for everyone) tend to totally ignore the PDFs. DON'T DO THAT, you will miss valuable information on how to use the course.

So, walk, don't run. I promise that you will make more progress if you focus on a little bit at first as opposed to trying to tackle Calculus when you are still learning Trig 2. Dig?

Sorry for the all caps, the change in fonts really messes up my posts for some reason. The caps are for stressing a point. I am not yelling at you, 55bar. I'm glad you are into Bruce's material, I just want to make sure you don't prematurely give up on it because you are practicing courses out of sequence. I want to help, not harm

If you PM me, I will gladly give you Bruce's personal email. I would rather not post it here, kay?

User Info Menu

2. You are hearing more than one note in a row (four notes) against a key. You need to master the one note to the point where you can do the advanced level without thinking at the speed of light... or whatever This means NO CRUTCHES, no remembering melodies, no depending on resolution tendencies.

3. You are hearing compound jumps (13s, 15s, 9s). This is where interval ear training starts to fall apart, unfortunately. You need to hear the sound of the note against the key. DO NOT relate the notes to each other.

4. The cadence does not carry over into the melodic material. It ends and the line begins. This is the hardest part, believe it or not. You have to develop your ability to hold on to a key center without modulating. Remember, all of those bass lines are in Cmajor.

I wish Bruce made ordering the physical copies of his courses easier and cheaper. I will talk to him about that. I am not saying anything on this thread that isn't in the answers to the FAQs he includes in the book version of the courses. He has the same FAQs in the electronic versions, but I (can't speak for everyone) tend to totally ignore the PDFs. DON'T DO THAT, you will miss valuable information on how to use the course.

So, walk, don't run. I promise that you will make more progress if you focus on a little bit at first as opposed to trying to tackle Calculus when you are still learning Trig 2. Dig?

Sorry for the all caps, the change in fonts really messes up my posts for some reason. The caps are for stressing a point. I am not yelling at you, 55bar. I'm glad you are into Bruce's material, I just want to make sure you don't prematurely give up on it because you are practicing courses out of sequence. I want to help, not harm

If you PM me, I will gladly give you Bruce's personal email. I would rather not post it here, kay?
    Hey man,

All understood, here's how it happened, I started with the one note and loved it it's been 3 weeks now of 5-8 times a day, I'm getting better slowly.

I got excited and though hmmm this bass lines one looks great and this big metronome one looks awesome etc... After trying the bass lines I quickly realised that I'm NOT AT ALL READY!

So back to the one note, I'm getting better, for a laugh I tried level 3 last night before bed, it MAKES you go on your instinct, where level one you can "talk yourself" out of your decision.

I got about 70% correct at this speed BUT not 100% more importantly it needs to be 100% every time no question.

I keep telling myself it took you 6 years and to keep going, some sessions are better than others.

I'm still struggling with Aug 4 and Aug 5 sometimes I get them right every time other times I just walk down the street with headphones in shouting "damn it was a D#!, you moron!" ..... I get some funny looks.

No problem, I was gonna PM you the message, but I knew you were tough enough to handle that message in public. I did the exact same thing. I was super excited and almost bought the entire website's worth of ear training. And I study with the guy in person, so I should know better . Anyway, it's money well spent. The only major cost to me is the memory it takes up on my laptop.

But I seriously think you should email Bruce personally. PM me and I will gladly give you his email as I see you are serious about his studies. He is extremely serious about helping students go through his courses the right way. He is not about that mess of wasting time studying the wrong material at the wrong time with the wrong technique

That's why I call him a musical Shaman. It's not musical hyperbole here, it's truth.

Also, and Bruce says this all the time. He is very into psychology... He states that you need to maintain a positive attitude while working through his courses and he is absolutely right (I study meta-cognition and basic psychology for my job as a SPED teacher. I am serious when I consider myself a learning expert )

So, negativity sends less dopamine to the brain and makes you "move" slower:

http://scicurious.scientopia.org/201...e-d2-receptor/

Also, the brain does not function well under frustration:

http://cogsci.stackexchange.com/ques...louds-the-mind

So, give yourself positive encouragement. You, my friend, waded through all the bs that other people here were shoveling about ear training not being important. You, my friend, are approaching ear training with one of the correct and valid methods (there are only a few). Never call yourself an idiot with these studies. Call yourself smart, call yourself lucky. Practice positive thinking, it will help you progress faster. That is another promise that I can back up with science
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-10-2015 at 07:28 AM.

User Info Menu

No problem, I was gonna PM you the message, but I knew you were tough enough to handle that message in public. I did the exact same thing. I was super excited and almost bought the entire website's worth of ear training. And I study with the guy in person, so I should know better . Anyway, it's money well spent. The only major cost to me is the memory it takes up on my laptop.

But I seriously think you should email Bruce personally. PM me and I will gladly give you his email as I see you are serious about his studies. He is extremely serious about helping students go through his courses the right way. He is not about that mess of wasting time studying the wrong material at the wrong time with the wrong technique

That's why I call him a musical Shaman. It's not musical hyperbole here, it's truth.

Also, and Bruce says this all the time. He is very into psychology... He states that you need to maintain a positive attitude while working through his courses and he is absolutely right (I study meta-cognition and basic psychology for my job as a SPED teacher. I am serious when I consider myself a learning expert )

So, negativity sends less dopamine to the brain and makes you "move" slower:

http://scicurious.scientopia.org/201...e-d2-receptor/

Also, the brain does not function well under frustration:

http://cogsci.stackexchange.com/ques...louds-the-mind

So, give yourself positive encouragement. You, my friend, waded through all the bs that other people here were shoveling about ear training not being important. You, my friend, are approaching ear training with one of the correct and valid methods (there are only a few). Never call yourself an idiot with these studies. Call yourself smart, call yourself lucky. Practice positive thinking, it will help you progress faster. That is another promise that I can back up with science
    Hey man thanks for the encouragement, I'll pm you and get Bruce email, I'm super into how we learn I follow Tim ferriss podcast and my favourite episode so far is the josh waitzkin one his book the art of learning is brilliant if you haven't heard of him check the Tim ferriss podcast.

I've heard of Tim Ferriss, but I never checked him out. Now I want to. But, my back kept me up all night, so I need to go back to sleep... I am falling apart and I am not even 30 I need to work out, guys, this is no bueno

Got my PT appointment again today, I found a good one But I gotta go to the gym and stop making excuses

User Info Menu

I've heard of Tim Ferriss, but I never checked him out. Now I want to. But, my back kept me up all night, so I need to go back to sleep... I am falling apart and I am not even 30 I need to work out, guys, this is no bueno

Got my PT appointment again today, I found a good one But I gotta go to the gym and stop making excuses
    Now I'm going to sound like you. Tim is a learning guru AND a fitness expert, since I got into him I've completely changed my whole outlook on learning and fitness, you will thank me

Yea, man. I am turning 29 in January. My dad is 70, but he is in better shape than me. He is a bicycle fanatic (think Tour de Fance) and works out on his Bowflex everyday. When it's too hot to ride, he goes kayaking with my mom. When it's snowing, he goes cross country skiing. What the hell happened to me?

User Info Menu

Yea, man. I am turning 29 in January. My dad is 70, but he is in better shape than me. He is a bicycle fanatic (think Tour de Fance) and works out on his Bowflex everyday. When it's too hot to ride, he goes kayaking with my mom. When it's snowing, he goes cross country skiing. What the hell happened to me?
    Irez are your back problems related to playing? If so you might want to look into posture... Alexander Technique may help. I know quite a few musicians who have studied Alexander, although there are some detractors.

I have to say I think that a lot of my problems with posture come from not properly engaging my core.

I also need to practice standing straight with the instrument properly with the core muscles engaged. Obviously a guitar is heavy, so there may be an issue about the back here. But I don't just practice with the guitar...

I can see that strength training would be a good idea too, with a good fitness instructor...

Finally a simple thing that helps my back when playing seated is a Dynarette cushion. It's way better than a footstool or a strap, and my back has got a bit better since...

Exercise wise, I swim around 1km 3 times a week - I did take swimming lessons to make sure I had a good technique that wasn't casuing back probelms etc, something I would recommend. It's not a massive amount of exercise, TBH, but compared to what I was doing 5 years ago, it's a lot!

It is great though - I have been more gentle with myself than I should, perhaps, but the aim was not to 'get into shape' - more to have something sustainable in my life exercise related - just increasing the amount I do a little bit week on week. I would be the last to say I am in great shape, but I have much more energy, better concentration and fitness because of this, and I am keen to do more.

I'm also considering practicing standing only. It turns out that people who work on their feet are in better shape than people who work a sedentary job and go to the gym a few times every week - the continuous small lifestyle changes are the ones that really stick as I understand it.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Irez are your back problems related to playing? If so you might want to look into posture... Alexander Technique may help. I know quite a few musicians who have studied Alexander, although there are some detractors.

I have to say I think that a lot of my problems with posture come from not properly engaging my core.

I also need to practice standing straight with the instrument properly with the core muscles engaged. Obviously a guitar is heavy, so there may be an issue about the back here. But I don't just practice with the guitar...

I can see that strength training would be a good idea too, with a good fitness instructor...

Finally a simple thing that helps my back when playing seated is a Dynarette cushion. It's way better than a footstool or a strap, and my back has got a bit better since...

Exercise wise, I swim around 1km 3 times a week - I did take swimming lessons to make sure I had a good technique that wasn't casuing back probelms etc, something I would recommend. It's not a massive amount of exercise, TBH, but compared to what I was doing 5 years ago, it's a lot!

It is great though - I have been more gentle with myself than I should, perhaps, but the aim was not to 'get into shape' - more to have something sustainable in my life exercise related - just increasing the amount I do a little bit week on week. I would be the last to say I am in great shape, but I have much more energy, better concentration and fitness because of this, and I am keen to do more.

I'm also considering practicing standing only. It turns out that people who work on their feet are in better shape than people who work a sedentary job and go to the gym a few times every week - the continuous small lifestyle changes are the ones that really stick as I understand it.
    I've studied the Alexander Technique - I've practised it for over thirty years - and I've found it works for managing chronic problems related to poor body use and habits.

What I most like about Alexander Technique is that it helped me develop the awareness needed to learn tai chi, which works preventive wonders for health (and particularly benefits older people).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I've studied the Alexander Technique - I've practised it for over thirty years - and I've found it works for managing chronic problems related to poor body use and habits.

What I most like about Alexander Technique is that it helped me develop the awareness needed to learn tai chi, which works preventive wonders for health (and particularly benefits older people).
    Incidentally the swimming lessons I took are based on Alexander. My teacher is currently researching Alexander with special relevance to guitar (he is himself a guitarist as well as an AT practitioner) in order to move towards some sort of course for guitarists - I should give him a shout and see how he's getting on with it!

User Info Menu

Incidentally the swimming lessons I took are based on Alexander. My teacher is currently researching Alexander with special relevance to guitar (he is himself a guitarist as well as an AT practitioner) in order to move towards some sort of course for guitarists - I should give him a shout and see how he's getting on with it!
    I've been learning TI Swimming for a few years

Really helped my back.

destinytot Guest
    I stumbled into the Alexander Technique looking for a solution to back pain, but I kept up weekly private lessons for years. I used to think of them as a holiday.

I'm in my late 50s, and I find what works best for me is a healthy lifestyle (with the right diet and the right exercise) alongside regular conventional medical checks. (I see my doctor, who's a huge jazz fan, as a trusted advisor who helps me manage my health.)

What's ironic is that I'm in the heart of the city, yet the pace of life here is blissfully slow. And I get to practise tai chi with a private teacher in a quiet little square near the cathedral.

I've attended a few Alexander Technique workshops for musicians, which were enjoyable and useful at the time.

But the Alexander Technique is meant to be applied to all physical activity; it's more about poise than posture, and once you know the technique you can apply it to any activity you wish ("teach a man to fish etc."). It's about mechanical advantage.

Tai chi is essential to me now and, like the Alexander Technique (and I don't think it's coincidental), it involves 'non-doing' which in turn requires a particular quality of awareness of body use that helps when it comes to changing habits. (There is a movement in the form that's called Play Guitar.)
    Last edited by destinytot; 10-10-2015 at 11:27 AM.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    I've been learning TI Swimming for a few years

Really helped my back.
    Beautiful.

destinytot Guest
    It's a bold claim, and I can't substantiate it, but I believe that bodywork enhances intonation.

(I can say that my daughter self-corrects her pitch to a fine degree of accuracy, and I believe it to be a function of confidence and expectation - her own and mine, and not of any proprietary method.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by destinytot; 10-10-2015 at 02:12 PM.

no problem, I don't care. Just saying, there is more on that thread. I have made this my thread, so whatever comes up, I am fine with. I am even okay with disagreements and different ear training methods. However, I will shoot down any belittling or ego tripping on this thread. Ain't nobody got time for that childish shite. I may have to contact the mod to make sure a certain someone doesn't toxify my thread here with his ego. This is kinda my thread, but I want it to be a thread for everyone who is hip to ear training to talk freely. But those points about ego and belittling are my non-negotiable. I deal with teenagers who are learning to be adults on a daily basis. I expect adults to be better at conducting themselves. Not mentioning names, just saying
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-10-2015 at 02:15 PM.

destinytot Guest
    no problem, I don't care. Just saying, there is more on that thread. I have made this my thread, so whatever comes up, I am fine with. I am even okay with disagreements and different ear training methods. However, I will shoot down any belittling or ego tripping on this thread. Ain't nobody got time for that childish shite. I may have to contact the mod to make sure a certain someone doesn't toxify my thread here with his ego. Not mentioning names, just saying
    I think you should mention names - deal with it or drop it.