The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    I recently signed up for a year of this.

https://sightreadingfactory.com/pricing

It seems like a pretty good way to learn.
    Yea it looks cool, I checked out a few instruments... same studies. Level 6 isn't that difficult, but I imagine good enough.

I'm from the school of developing the separate aspects of reading music by them selves first, or at least in conjunction with. But any approach works. And I guess if one has students...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like the Mike Longo book

How To Sight Read Jazz and Syncopated Type Rhythms

It's a slightly unsual method, but I like the way it teaches you to phrase rhythms. I have found this has improved my rhythmic reading greatly in the months I have practiced it.

That said, Bellson would probably do the same job. It's a time honoured text.
    I like the Italian Recipes...

User Info Menu

I'm tempted to download them...

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Generally You sight read scales first, then arpeggios... after a while you'll begin to recognize scale and arpeggio patterns.
    Hey, reg. Sounds like pretty specifically geared stuff. What type of book(s) are you talking about there? I know Leavitt's Reading Studies books have a good bit of that...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-05-2015 at 12:03 AM.

User Info Menu

In theory you can learn anything on your own...it's just that some things are much easier to learn with help and perhaps more importantly, someone or something pushing you to meet goals. If you have the drive and self-discipline to motivate and push yourself, then great! I'm pretty sure I would have been too lazy to learn to read, on my own, at the level I am reading at now. I'm grateful for having been able to study music in college and to have been pushed to learn to read (and many other things). I think if I tallied up the individual classes where we used notation constantly for analysis or practice or something, I was easily spending 20+ hours a week working on notation in some form or another, just to meet the basic requirements of my music courses. Once I graduated, I kept using my reading skills and have gone through various phases from using it daily, to sometimes not using it for weeks. But I've kept learning repertoire on a regular basis and that has taken my reading up to a much higher level (I think) than it was when I graduated 10 years ago. Just this last week I've transcribed 1 new solo guitar piece, and I have two other transcriptions in progress. And I love being able to hear some awesome guitar piece or solo or whatever and be able to learn it quickly and efficiently (and accurately!). I usually just buy or google up some sheet music if I can, but if I can't find it, I just transcribe it. Reading music proficiently = the one and only thing I learned from college that I still use and I'm happy I spent the time learning ;o) Anyways, props to you if you can train your reading up to a high level on your own, I'm 99% sure I wouldn't have been able to do that. Luckily for most jazzers, they only need to be able to read the melody really, which is a fairly basic level and not as difficult to achieve. Being able to read a complex solo guitar arrangement though can be exponentially more difficult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Hey, reg. Sounds like pretty specifically geared stuff. What type of book(s) are you talking about there? I know Leavitt's Reading Studies books have a good bit of that...
    Hey Matt...
    I have a tons of different reading materials ... The Berklee stuff, Tons of piano... Hanon, Bach two and three part inventions, the four part chorals... all the standard piano BS. .... Schroeder cello series,
    Charles Colin series...Rhythms, Patterns and sightreading, Develop Sight Reading, goldenbergs Modern School for Xylophone etc... I'm not really a teacher etc... so not that organized. But have file cabs full of different instrumental types.

Hey Matt...
    I have a tons of different reading materials ... The Berklee stuff, Tons of piano... Hanon, Bach two and three part inventions, the four part chorals... all the standard piano BS. .... Schroeder cello series,
    Charles Colin series...Rhythms, Patterns and sightreading, Develop Sight Reading, goldenbergs Modern School for Xylophone etc... I'm not really a teacher etc... so not that organized. But have file cabs full of different instrumental types.
    Cool. Thanks, Reg.

User Info Menu

Like everything else, you need a fundamental orientation to reading music. One of the nice thinks about learning to read music when you are a kid is that is part of your life routine. As an aside, I'm often grateful that I did not have the distractions kids have today - computers, video games, and other things that would have distracted me from learning classical guitar. Then again, that was my passion along with Beatles, Stones, etc.

Once you learn the basics, the rest is up to you. The more you read, the better you get at it. At least to a point. But most jazz guitarists don't need to read more than melody lines. Odd meter stuff can be challenging sometimes, but there are only so many ways to divide beats. I know there are some web sites that generate random notes to "sight read", but I think you learn better if you learn to represent musical melodies you know first. That teaches you how the time subdivisions in terms of beats are represented graphically as notation. I am assuming that you already know your scales and where the notes are on the fret board.

Jay

User Info Menu

Could you suggest something specific to go along with the Modern Reading Text in 4/4 book? Would the Leavitt Modern Method books be good for beginning reading melody?

I'm new to the site, and I'm soon to be new to jazz. I have been playing rock/blues based music for years, mostly by ear, and I only began listening to jazz a few years ago. I'm looking for books to begin learning jazz and become a better player all around. I have read numerous posts by you that have given me some good ideas of some books to start with. Thanks for sharing so much information.

I don't want to be pushy, but a post by Reg on fundamental music books would be killer. The Mickey Baker books are at the top of my list. I'm also looking for a good theory book for really learning the fretboard. I have a couple of general theory books already, but they don't offer exercises for ingraining what is presented. I understand what is in them, but I don't know the material, which I would like to remedy.