The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

I hate to beat a dead horse... but I've been preaching on this forum since I became a member, how to get your performance skills together. If you want to be able to play guitar in a jazz style, you need to develop the technical skills.

With Sight Reading...You don't become a great sight reader by jumping into the fire, your just going to burn up.

You need to develop the technical skills first... but obviously who cares.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I certainly wasn't suggesting that Reg.

What I'm saying is, a lot of guitar players won't even understand the skills needed with a tough sight reading situation until they're in over their head.

Book definitions are fine, but practical situations win out in a jazz context.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 05-04-2014 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I care Reg. yeah reading skills are not the end all for sure. The technique and style of jazz is unique and what you're saying is that if you don't have the physical skill, the technical aspects that make jazz what it is, you won't be able to sight read it anyway.

Has sight reading changed over the years? It would seem to follow given that techniques change, styles change over the years, guys pioneer new techniques, there's always motion, innovation, fluctuating influences. Would you say sight reading skills always follow after the fact of innovation? I don't want to push this thread over in to a technique thread but they really are interrelated.

What at is the trick of recognizing the techniques required when sight reading cold? Is it all experience?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I hate to beat a dead horse... but I've been preaching on this forum since I became a member, how to get your performance skills together. If you want to be able to play guitar in a jazz style, you need to develop the technical skills.

With Sight Reading...You don't become a great sight reader by jumping into the fire, your just going to burn up.

You need to develop the technical skills first... but obviously who cares.
    I think that's a real interesting point Reg. I hadn't thought about that before. And I suppose it's true. I started reading when I started playing, and took a long haitus or two or three along the way. But technique wasn't one of my problems. Well maybe, but rather the technique of positions, which I never paid any attention to. Still don't. And that might be a technique I've had to overcome.

But like anything learning to sight read is a graduated, gradual, step by step process. Skipping too many steps, or going too far out of the graduated sequence of steps can be deadly. Symbols/notation - rhythm - location of notes on fretboard.

User Info Menu

Sight reading seems a little easier on piano than guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I certainly wasn't suggesting that Reg.

What I'm saying is, a lot of guitar players won't even understand the skills needed with a tough sight reading situation until they're in over their head.

Book definitions are fine, but practical situations win out in a jazz context.
    Hey Mr B...I didn't mean to sound like I was directing comments toward your post. Sorry, and I totally agree... When your performing in any setting, academia is history.

It's just pretty obviouse that if you don't have the technique to play what's notated on the page.... Its not going to make any difference how many times you try.

Your point about... Most won't understand what skills are required until they experience the performance situation, hmmm... I don't know.... Can someone understand something on a technical level in a performance situation when they don't have the technical skills. I guess you'll understand that you can't cover, and need to get something together.

Good topic, I don't know, I would believe one would need a proficient technical and mental level to have a chance, besides yes/no, you can cover or you can't.
    I know I sight read much better than most pros and believe its from my compositional, theory/harmony background.

Michael, thanks, yes sight reading skill change and have changed, it's difficult to notate a Reggae/hip hop funk feel phrasing or accents etc... My point is at many sight reading gigs, like I've said before I don't really read each note in phrases, I try and recognize the phrase, or sections of...and have time to articulate the performance with the right feel/groove. And sure experience will always help one play what that have the skills to play.

Personally I sure don't create a relationship and then develop that relationship, (improve), perfect or anything close to it the first time I try, even if I have more than enough technical skills. My brain, instincts, need a few attempts to find what I hear or think I hear, when it's new, (at least to me). I can generally create a finished product, from my skills and experience, but how natural and balanced that is... Who knows.

Like I tried to say.... The trick for me is having practiced, played and understand, rhythmic and melodic patterns and the fretboard not getting in my way of their performance.

Please don't take my comments as arrogant, I'm no better or worse than anyone, but I accepted and was aware of what I chose as required technical skills many moons ago, there are many other paths, but I chose and work with what I have.

Wize words Henry....yea technique definitely isn't your problem.

User Info Menu

No worries Reg...

As to the other point...maybe I'm just speaking too much from personal experience...