The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al_F
    This software will slow it down with out losing pitch -

Seventh String Software - the home of Transcribe!
    A word of disclaimer: I have more opinions than experience, although I do have some experience. That said and FWIW: I do not transcribe as a means of learning vocabulary. I transcribe as a means of practicing hearing. There are books of licks for vocabulary, and excellent transcriptions are frequently available too. But I am told by better people than me that learning to hear in detail can be facilitated by transcribing. To that end ...
    • With due respect to Reg, get the software that Al_F mentioned - Transcribe from Seventh String - and use it as a training tool for developing your hearing. Use every feature that makes your life easier. In any kind of training, including musical training, there is a well understood need to adjust the level of difficulty to manageable levels. This is what Transcribe will do for you, most notably the variable tempo feature, but also looping, the ability to set section, measure, and beat markers, the annotation feature, and occasionally the transpose feature. And IMO Transcribe is much better for transcribing than some competing products (e.g., the Amazing Slow Downer). Yes, some people were born with monster ears. But for the rest of us, transcription software is a godsend. Welcome to the 21st century.
    • Don't hesitate to use a lead sheet.There is some sort of fake book or set of fake books for most genres. Buy it (or them). Among other things, a fake book will jump start your transcription in the same way as starting a partly completed puzzle. Just remember that the fake book is a more or less approximate guide.
    • FWIW, I usually start by working out the overall structure of the tune, then the melody statement in the head followed by the basic chords or visa versa, then ... it depends.
    • Feel free to transcribe tunes in whole or in part. You can do all the measures or just some of them. You can do lines, chords, or both. You can do all the instruments ... or not ... etc. As someone already said, transcribe what grabs you.
    Good luck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    Yes, some people were born with monster ears. But for the rest of us, transcription software is a godsend. Welcome to the 21st century.
    Aye, but, in the good ol days they used to play a record slow to hear the licks. And it was easy to pick the needle up and put it in the right spot. Don't think we invented this game because we didn't, our grandparents did.

User Info Menu

HA! You're right TLT. Come to think of it, they invented looping too, only they didn't appreciate it.
    Last edited by HighSpeedSpoon; 12-19-2011 at 08:14 PM.