The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you constantly hear music playing in your head?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, only music I've heard before

5 5.68%
  • Yes, both my own musical ideas and music I've heard before

63 71.59%
  • Yes, only my musical ideas

1 1.14%
  • No

19 21.59%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 115

User Info Menu

Whether it's music you've heard previously, or your own ideas, is it playing constantly in the background (or foreground)?

Let's exclude music heard in dreams for now, though that's also an interesting topic.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes... All the time. Tunes I know and improv ideas I'm thinking about.

In addition to "hearing" them in my head I often also do what I call a "silent" whistle when I'm thinking about a tune or idea. I blow breath through my mouth while shaping it to get a breathy sounding note. Anyone else do that?

User Info Menu

Almost constantly. Actually, I'm taking a solo in my head over Joy Spring as I type this.

User Info Menu

Not constantly, but often. Mostly music I've heard.

User Info Menu

Every day, every night, when I'm sleeping, cooking, eating, making love, farting, shitting, speaking, playing music, walking, singing, dancing, dying...
    All is about music but I don't talk about it, I don't like talking about my job.

User Info Menu

Right now it's Gugudan. I blame their boots.

User Info Menu

Yes, but it's often drowned out by the Voices.

User Info Menu

Only when I press play.

User Info Menu

I screwed this poll up, it should have been public.

User Info Menu

I see dead people.

But that's not a bad thing, cuz there's one guy who's got a Real Book and I can look over his shoulder and read the charts at jams and nobody knows I'm reading the changes.

User Info Menu

Yep - either piobaireachd, or the last jazz song/album that grabbed me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northernbreed
    Yep - either piobaireachd...
    On cláirseach or bagpipe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I see dead people.

But that's not a bad thing, cuz there's one guy who's got a Real Book and I can look over his shoulder and read the charts at jams and nobody knows I'm reading the changes.
    Aren't those jams with dead people kinda lifeless anyway?

User Info Menu

I've got an ear worm. Piece keeps playing over and over. It's John Cage's 4'33"

User Info Menu

A few days ago I was doing carts at Walmart, thinking about Moon River and Jeff Beck dying and I started to cry. These latina high school chicks started calling me a bitch so I had to cut it out. :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I've got an ear worm. Piece keeps playing over and over. It's John Cage's 4'33"
    The remastered version makes my head hurt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    A few days ago I was doing carts at Walmart, thinking about Moon River and Jeff Beck dying and I started to cry. These latina high school chicks started calling me a bitch so I had to cut it out. :P
    Just tell them you were thinking of cutting onions.

User Info Menu

Not constantly but quite often. I call it the 'song for the day' and it's not always something I want replaying over and over in my head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Not constantly but quite often. I call it the 'song for the day' and it's not always something I want replaying over and over in my head.
    Ah, the earworm.

I shouldn't do this...but I will. A friend of mine will often send me YouTube links during the day as he works from home and as far as I can tell, doesn't do much...most of the time it's good stuff, but occasionally he'll try and Rickroll me or send me an intentionally bad but catchy song.

And oh did he burn me today. Manilow's "Mandy."

And now it's in your heads too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Almost constantly. Actually, I'm taking a solo in my head over Joy Spring as I type this.
    Little early, you think? You are ahead of the beat for sure. We still have that groundhog to deal with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Little early, you think? You are ahead of the beat for sure. We still have that groundhog to deal with.
    It's been a mess since Bill Murray discovered the groundhog loop.

User Info Menu

My current earworm is the song 5 o'clock world

User Info Menu

Only while I'm working on a tune. When it's done it leaves me. But that doesn't only apply to music, the brain will continue to be occupied with any ongoing issue till it's resolved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    My current earworm is the song 5 o'clock world
    The cure for 5 o'clock world:

User Info Menu

Constantly? No. Often? Yes.

New things I’m writing, new things I’m learning and old stuff. Sometimes I’ll wake in the night with something on repeat. Just the other night it was Jackson Browne’s Doctor My Eyes. I’m not even much of a Jackson Browne fan.