The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you constantly hear music playing in your head?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, only music I've heard before

5 5.68%
  • Yes, both my own musical ideas and music I've heard before

63 71.59%
  • Yes, only my musical ideas

1 1.14%
  • No

19 21.59%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 115

User Info Menu

You see, you've all lapsed back into contentment... you don't question!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You see, you've all lapsed back into contentment... you don't question!
    I haven’t. I want cake.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Dammit, man. I didn't even have to click on it and it's stuck in my head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Dammit, man. I didn't even have to click on it and it's stuck in my head.
    Haha. It's the lyrics. What a great story.

User Info Menu

Question for a Friday: what is Naatu?

User Info Menu

Yes I do, and it's really annoying because I can't hear the voices in my head, and I keep missing important instructions.

User Info Menu

I often hear music playing in my head, which inspires me; sometimes to just sing. My real affliction is that for me, there is no such thing as background music. When I hear music, I tend to not listen to who I'm with and soak in the music. I don't dare play music while I'm trying to do accurate work.

User Info Menu

Only in an elevator :-)

User Info Menu

Daily, sometimes random things or an ear worm I recently heard, but most often they’re tunes I been working on. It’s to the point that the Mrs. can tell!

User Info Menu

Always, for the past 5 decades.

User Info Menu

Last night I dreamt I was singing ATTYA. In tune.

User Info Menu

I only hear it when I choose to, but it's always there.

User Info Menu

Not when I take my daily 4 mile hike. It took me a few years to get to a meditation type state while walking, where one shut out "internal dialog" and just takes in what is around them.

User Info Menu

Once I posed that question to my bassist friend, .... who, btw, is the best bass player I know, anybody who ever heard him immediately wanted him in band and so on ... his response was: "I never hear anything in my head, it's only when I take bass I just know what to play.

Truly remarkable player. Once he played some wedding, got so drunk that he could not keep standing. So, he was sitting/ lying on the floor, back leaned on amp, still drinking beer with bottle in his right hand, playing bass only by left hand taping, sounding perfect, not missing a beat ... If you believe it, with silence in his head.

User Info Menu

Sorry I haven't had time to read all responses.

Yes I hear music in my head pretty much every waking hour. Some of it is stuff I play on the car stereo or off my iPhone at home. Occasionally it's stuff I play on guitar. Otherwise it's just semi-random songs I have heard over the years.

For instance, I saw a thread title Darn That Dream, so guess what I'm replaying in my head right now.

If I ever subconsciously don't think of music, I start to notice my tinnitus a lot more. So it's kind of a choice--listen to music that isn't there or listen to a very high C note droning continuously. (Or maybe the voices in my head, but let's not digress for now.)

User Info Menu

Keeping one's head filled to the brim with music can prevent incursions of political rhetoric from Democrats (Liberals) and Republicans (Conservatives). However, an occasional tune-up is recommended.

User Info Menu

It's normal for me. A lot of musician experience this, and try to basically harness it and use it to help them be creative and become better artists/players.

User Info Menu

I’m so relieved I’m not the only one.
    when I was younger and in trouble I got sent to a therapist and he asked if music got stuck in my head. I never thought it was abnormal. I never cared except when it’s a bad tune stuck rolling around my brain.

I knew I wasn’t crazy. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    Whether it's music you've heard previously, or your own ideas, is it playing constantly in the background (or foreground)?

Let's exclude music heard in dreams for now, though that's also an interesting topic.
    yeah, it's constantly going on in my head, a variety of stuff, but as a child, my dad played Charlie Parker a lot, and those bebop lines I'm constantly hearing in my head, so much so I might, in a casual conversation, for no reason, suddenly spring into one or two bars of bebop scatting out loud, maybe in a restaurant to the embarrassment of whoever is accompanying me, and once a friend of mind told me I have 'bebop tourettes'. Comical, but accurate. I can't seem to get parker out of my head. Though, when it comes to my own soloing, I just don't have that kind of chops.

User Info Menu

Yes, I do hear music but it's drowned out by tinnitus

User Info Menu

Yes - it's one reason I have TMJ...

User Info Menu

Yes, and to my detriment. I'm often kept awake at night by a piece of music playing over and over in my head as if on a loop. It can be good music or pablum - like two nights ago when it was the theme from the "Big Bang Theory" TV show.

User Info Menu

If "constantly" is meant literally, no. But if tinnitus is music, yes.