The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A '60s-style guitar instrumental that came out of nowhere. First thing I recorded with my new (and only ) bass.

Simple, no improv, but fun. (Might add solos to this later but might leave it as it is. Might shorten it and use as an interlude between two other songs later. Who knows?)

Really getting into the bass lately and starting songs with bass and drums rather than guitar. This was started on the guitar after I ordered a bass but before it arrived. Thought the original guitar part would go when I got the bass but then I decided no, keep it.

The drums are EZ Drummmer 2.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey that is really cool! Faded (Leather?) Jacket. Sometimes the best things come out of nowhere. I was watching the Tiny Desk Concert of "Booker T." and he mentioned he wrote his iconic tune "Green Onions" when he was 17.

People in Comments were in disbelief, but it makes sense to me: these things can just come. I have a little classical thing, just not developed enough yet.

User Info Menu

Nice groove! Now all you have to do is get Tarrantino to use it in a soundtrack....

User Info Menu

That faded jacket fits like a glove.

The groove really is working with that drum beat. Dig the pattern were every other measure the snare hits on the 1 & 2. Creates a nostalgia feeling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY
    Hey that is really cool! Faded (Leather?) Jacket. Sometimes the best things come out of nowhere. I was watching the Tiny Desk Concert of "Booker T." and he mentioned he wrote his iconic tune "Green Onions" when he was 17.

People in Comments were in disbelief, but it makes sense to me: these things can just come. I have a little classical thing, just not developed enough yet.
    Thanks!

Steve Cropper talks about how "Green Onions" came about. It almost didn't! Great story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That faded jacket fits like a glove.

The groove really is working with that drum beat. Dig the pattern were every other measure the snare hits on the 1 & 2. Creates a nostalgia feeling.
    I like that beat too. It conjures the era well.

User Info Menu

Over 100 views on YouTube and 15 likes. Small numbers, I know, but for me, an overwhelming response.

God help me, I feel good about that.

User Info Menu

Well, "Faded Jacket" has reached 400 unique views on YouTube. Not a big number, I know, but the biggest any song of mine has garnered. (I think the most viewed thing I've ever done was a demonstration of Carol Kaye's daily ii-V-I exercise.) I'm happy about that.

My grasp of Reaper has improved dramatically (thanks mainly to fep here and to some videos by Kenny Gioia, Ken Theriot, and singer-songwriter Norman Lamont.)

This does not mean I'm about to unleash pro-sounding demos upon the world, but it does mean I'll have a lot of things down that sound like a singer-songwriter made them in a bedroom by himself but at least there's not a lot of hiss and the grooves work...could amount to something. ;o)